Filter and Amplifier Envelope repeat

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
red

Filter and Amplifier Envelope repeat

Post by red » Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Would it be possible to include a Filter and Amplifier Envelope repeat for the Voyager, similar to the envelope loops in the Sub Phatty?

It would be a great additional LFO...

And... any other developments planned of the Voyager firmware?
::red

EMwhite

Re: Filter and Amplifier Envelope repeat

Post by EMwhite » Sun May 05, 2013 4:20 pm

I think Amos was implementing looping env gens on the Sub Phatty but no such luck for the underprivileged : )

And I don't have a proper voyager but an Old School way to do it (if you have VX-351) is to have an LFO cycle time which is slightly longer than your desired envelope time, then patch square wave out from VX-351 to Voyager Env Gate input. I assume you want to do this while holding a key still? Would also be good to patch Gate out to LFO Trigger/reset so that the phase starts when key is first pressed.

Ideally, you might want a Midi sync'd LFO; not sure if Voyager has a way to sync to Midi and reset start of LFO cycle (and Midi clock?) For that matter I don't know if Voyager can send Midi clock; so much about it I do NOT know unfortunately. But meager Old School owners can do what I said above.

Another way (modular way) would be to have an inverted output from the ENV trigger a new gate via voltage comparitor circuit/module. There are alot of interesting circuits that can be built up using simple digital logic ICs; have a look at YuSynth's site and you'll see some things that can be built up on a breadboard with a few op amps, a logic IC and a dozen other components (ie. less than $5 in parts).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

red

Post by red » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

thanks for your suggestions - I will continue with experiments, I was surprised to play with the looped envelopes on my funky Sub Phatty :mrgreen:
::red

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am

You can use the LFO (normalled to S+H Gate) to trigger the envelopes
In Edit mode check out Vol Envelope Gate source or Filter Envelope gate source.
It is a programmable source for when the Gate switch is in the On/ Ext position.

It's not the same, but can be used very effectively for a number of things...

Cheers
SD