OS Osc 3 sounds different that 1 & 2

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Portamental

Re: OS Osc 3 sounds different that 1 & 2

Post by Portamental » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 pm

I was always amazed at the accuracy of the OS (my unit), wave shapes are totally identical, the 3 oscillators sound the same, 1v/oct dead on, both in and out... etc...

I realize analog is analog, but I am surprised at so much discrepancies between units.

Muskys : after looking closely at your file, i think yours needs calibration. The difference for OSC 3 is huge to me. Also, there is a crest at the end of each wave cycle i have not seen on any analog, on all wave shapes.

How long have you had this unit?

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:31 pm

It's about a year and 1/2 old, but I've had it about 2 months. Thankfully, the previous owner bought the extended warranty. Guess I should contact tech support and get an RA#. :(

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am

Tough luck! I know how it feels to have an unsatisfactory Moog. At least your OS sounds good and it can be calibrated. My little bull is totally useless, and until further notice, it can't be fixed. I have pretty much written it off.

yesman

Post by yesman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 am

I've been following this post, but was in the middle of my own questions as to the Mod 2 bus. Then I set-up OSC 3 as an LFO and ran that to OSC 2 what I noticed (heard) was that it sounded like center pitch of OSC 2 was dropping, not alot but enough to heard. So, I looked at the OSC 2 signal on my tuner with a very slight and slow OSC 3 modulation and saw that the pitch was going 5 cents sharp and 10 cents flat approx. This would cause your ear to hear the center pitch as 5 cents flat when compared to no modulation. Then I looked at the OSCs on my scope and saw what muksys shows in his diagram. OSC 3 has a gentler slope, is somewhat smaller in amplitude and is - when looking at the wave from the mixer out - biased alittle positive. When you look at the OSC 3 wave at the mod buss output (VX-351) it is inverted (the bias is now negative). This is on a V EB. So, once again is this standard?

archer

Post by archer » Sat May 04, 2013 8:32 pm

I actually called Moog about this when I first got my Voyager Old School. The respondent was extremely helpful and told me that yes, OSC 3 IS different than 1 & 2, and that I had an extremely good ear for noticing.

To make a long story short, the reason he said OSC 3 is designed slightly different than 1 & 2 is because of its extra modulation capabilities. I'm not sure that your Moog needs a calibration, but I'd give them a call 1st. Please put your response on the forum.

yesman

Post by yesman » Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 am

The following is from tech support on this point.

Yes the differences seen when looking at the wave shape, amplitude and bias for OSC 3 are normal for a Voyager, and exists on all models. The reasons for the slight difference(often noted as a slight difference in timbre to trained ears) is due to the differences in design for OSC 3 vs the other oscillators. The fact that OSC 3 has a Low Frequency Mode and is wired for direct modulation of the frequency of OSC 1 is what causes these subtle differences.

muksys

Post by muksys » Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 am

Hmm, well I guess I can chalk that up as a win and bragging point for me. See mom, all those years as a starving Audio Engineer paid off. I can detect subtle variations in the Oscillators of a minimoog voyager!

Thanks for the info. It wasn't bothering me enough to bother tech support. Now, to get the filter to open up all the way letting that nice buzziness shine on!

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, because I just spent the better part of the evening with my 4 month old XL trying to figure out why the triangle on Osc 3 was sounding ever so slightly different than 1 & 2. I am VERY grateful for all of the work the posters in this thread did last year to get to the bottom of this - and am quite happy having a very slightly different Osc 3 that works "as designed". :lol:

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 am

I think it's because it's a slightly different oscillator.
osc 3 drops into sub audio range the other two do not
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

studiothrills

Post by studiothrills » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi there, I just bought a second hand Voyager in mint condition yesterday. and immediately noticed that Oscillator 3 sounds a little different than 1 and 2. Especially the triangle wave sounds as if there is still a little bit of saw mixed in. Sounds a bit like the mixed Triangle/Saw wave (or "sharktooth") in my Minimoog Model D.

Another thing I heard: if I set all 3 Oscillators to a pure sawtooth, Oscillator 1 and 2's output are a bit louder than Oscillator 3 is. If I turn Osc 3's volume all the way up, and 1 and 2 to approx. 70%, their volume is the same... Is this normal?

My Voyager is version 3.5.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm

It does sound different, I easily noticed it and tech support confirmed. Since I have calibrated several units, I can tell you it is true for every Voyager
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra