MY THEREMIN NOW RUNS MY MOOG!

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
LATUBEGEEK

MY THEREMIN NOW RUNS MY MOOG!

Post by LATUBEGEEK » Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Bought an inexpensive Theremin for my son last year.... fun but pretty nasal sine wave. Decided to build a circuit to change it's line-out to the 0-5 VDC input to my Moog Concertmate. Just turn a sine wave into a voltage, can't be that difficult? Well, needed 3 chips (OP amp, Hex Inverter, and VCO chip run backwards), but it works! I guess now my Theremin now has to be played by touching something.... but it's a lot more fun to play with. Question: am I just re-inventing the wheel here? I looked for adapter/converter boxes to do this but found none. Did learn a lot about electronics. Would attach a pic but it looks pretty ugly right now, still tweaking with it. Thanks - my first post on this forum. Jeff

Portamental

Re: MY THEREMIN NOW RUNS MY MOOG!

Post by Portamental » Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Jeff, welcome to the Forum.

Post some pics if you can.

Gate and pitch conversion in to CV's are described in an old document called : "Hotrodding the Etherwave". Schematics for this conversion are included, some other interesting mods too. Google it up.

The Etherwave Plus has this mod built in right from the Factory : Volume and Pitch CV + Gate.

You can also, if you like, use a CV-to-midi on the pitch CV and play a midi instrument at chromatic intervals. Great help in learning to play the Etherwave on pitch.

Have fun.