Will you buy a FreqBox?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

Will you buy the new FreqBox?

Yes
61%
No
7%
Wait to try one, or reviews.
32%

Total votes: 44

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:35 pm

What products would you suggest that "keyboard players" use?

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:37 pm

well, I play keys and guitar and I actually like the moogerfoogers for both: I find usually keyboard players like to have their effects on top of their keyboard so they can change settings with their hands and whatnot. I know this is true for me, especially when I'm playing a mono synth like the voyager, which deon't require more than one playing hand usually. Guitarists like to have their effects on the ground where they can keep thier hands free and use thier feet to engage their effects. The moogerfoogers work well for both and they're great studio effects as well...wow, this is beginning to sound like an ad for moog isn't it?

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm

latigid on wrote:I would like to know if the freqbox osc goes into the sub-audio range, meaning it can act as a multi-waveformed (continuously so!) LFO.
::fingers crossed on that one::
www.ctrlshft.com

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Interesting thread especially about "up top" or "on the floor". As a guitarist that is what I love about these moogerfoogers: all the "guzintas" for pedals and CV controlling so you can tweak with your feet. Probably not as accurate as with the hands but it makes for a range of sounds you'll never get with traditional stomp boxes.

As for the Freq Box, I voted "wait to try one/reviews" but really I'd have to hear something very different than the samples/demo video I saw. When I saw that a new moogerfooger pedal was coming out I was pretty interested. The murf samples blew me away and I just got one (finally!!!), so I had high hopes for the freqbox not even knowing what it might actually be. To me it just seems to make or add noise, not very musical noise at that either. If the demo video is a good representation of it's range of sounds, then I dont' see it being very useful to me. The Ring Mod seems to have covered the same sonic ground the freqbox is going for, but in a better and more musical way.

I'm also pretty sure I'm wrong and really just waiting for someone to show a more useful range of sound from it.

chris allert

Post by chris allert » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:49 pm

musicalhair wrote: As for the Freq Box, I voted "wait to try one/reviews" but really I'd have to hear something very different than the samples/demo video I saw. When I saw that a new moogerfooger pedal was coming out I was pretty interested. The murf samples blew me away and I just got one (finally!!!), so I had high hopes for the freqbox not even knowing what it might actually be. To me it just seems to make or add noise, not very musical noise at that either. If the demo video is a good representation of it's range of sounds, then I dont' see it being very useful to me. The Ring Mod seems to have covered the same sonic ground the freqbox is going for, but in a better and more musical way.

I'm also pretty sure I'm wrong and really just waiting for someone to show a more useful range of sound from it.
i think the video demo could have been better. i wasn't impressed so much with the sounds the actually made in the demo, but it did give me a pretty good idea of what would be possible. having an analog oscillator that you can hard-sync will produce completely different sounds from a ring modulator and will provide a very useful signal, full of upper harmonics. with the ring modulator, you don't really end up with more harmonics than you put into it. so while these modules may sound kind of similar alone, i think you'll notice how different they are once you start sending the output through a low-pass filter like the mf101. i will probably put the mf107 before the mf101 most of the time in the filter chain, but i tend to put the mf102 after it (and then the mf103 phaser after that).

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:55 pm

chris allert wrote:
musicalhair wrote: As for the Freq Box, I voted "wait to try one/reviews" but really I'd have to hear something very different than the samples/demo video I saw. When I saw that a new moogerfooger pedal was coming out I was pretty interested. The murf samples blew me away and I just got one (finally!!!), so I had high hopes for the freqbox not even knowing what it might actually be. To me it just seems to make or add noise, not very musical noise at that either. If the demo video is a good representation of it's range of sounds, then I dont' see it being very useful to me. The Ring Mod seems to have covered the same sonic ground the freqbox is going for, but in a better and more musical way.
having an analog oscillator that you can hard-sync will produce completely different sounds from a ring modulator and will provide a very useful signal, full of upper harmonics. with the ring modulator, you don't really end up with more harmonics than you put into it. so while these modules may sound kind of similar alone, i think you'll notice how different they are once you start sending the output through a low-pass filter like the mf101.
I totally agree. I was even pretty impressed with what I heard on the video. while I realize that FM is not super different than Ring Mod, and isn't even all that unusual of a sound (in as far as most people who already have a synth can already get these tones). I felt like the hard-sync thing is fairly revolutionairy... at least I've never seen or heard a VCO that hard syncs to normal audio signals... but the whole thing in total-- with FM, sync, and an envelope follower for both the pitch and dynamics of the VCO--- that seems like a pretty big package of effects to me.

I also don't see how any effect could be less "musical" than Ring Mod. To me, RM is about the least musical effect you could possibly use. I'm guessing this Freq Box will have much more musical application... It seems like it will have a similar application as an Octave pedal (although, apparently very different...). Octave pedals are used all over rock music recordings, etc... I'm thinking the 107 will cover similar ground (as well as doing RM type stuff, and distortion, and weird synth stuff). And it sounds kind of original too...

I can't wait to try it. I think it's gonna be the best Mooger yet (maybe even by a wide margin). Coupled with a 101 or 102, etc... I'll be surprised if it isn't completely amazing...

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:27 am

Already ordered :D
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:02 am

Already ordered. I have been waiting for a stand alone Moog VCO for awhile. Every comment card "A VCO!" If I didn't buy it now, I'd invalidate all future product suggestions. I can't wait, looks very versatile.

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm

eric coleridge wrote: I also don't see how any effect could be less "musical" than Ring Mod. To me, RM is about the least musical effect you could possibly use. I'm guessing this Freq Box will have much more musical application... It seems like it will have a similar application as an Octave pedal (although, apparently very different...). Octave pedals are used all over rock music recordings, etc... I'm thinking the 107 will cover similar ground (as well as doing RM type stuff, and distortion, and weird synth stuff). And it sounds kind of original too...
I agree with a lot of that. IT seems to me that the Octave up pedals a la Hendrix are like ring mod but maybe they're more related to this freq box-- I dont' really know.

I can see, as pointed out by Chris above, the usefulness of the lowpass after either the ringmod or the freqbox. I tend to switch up my effects often and try not to run so many at one time, but I need to get my ring mod, low pass, murf and cp 251 together for a "play-date" (which I'm afraid is probably a reference only those with kids will get).

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:40 pm

musicalhair wrote: I agree with a lot of that. IT seems to me that the Octave up pedals a la Hendrix are like ring mod but maybe they're more related to this freq box-- I dont' really know.
Octavers are square wave generators that output a frequency at various mathmatical divisions of the input frequency (typically up or down an octave or two). These two signals are mixed at the output.

Ring Mod is sort of the opposite-- instead of dividing a frequency, RMs multiply two frequencies together and output the result.

This new 107, is simply a VCO mixed with the input signal. But the VCO will also be "controlled" in various ways by the input. Different than an Octave pedal-- but probably can sound similar (or maybe can sound even exactly the same-- but not limited just to this). It will also be able to do alot of RM type sounds because frequency modulation of a VCO sounds very similar to RM. It also does a bunch of other things-- which is why I think it's going to be a very useful MF-- maybe the best yet.
musicalhair wrote: I tend to switch up my effects often and try not to run so many at one time, but I need to get my ring mod, low pass, murf and cp 251 together for a "play-date"
Yeah, I'm the same way... I rarely use more than 1 or 2 effects at any one time... seems like whatever signal you're processing tends to get obscured too much past 2 or 3 effects... but then that may be one's application...

Still, at this point, with a VCO now, it may not even be about processing external sounds anymore... but rather just about "playing" the Moogers themselves as one would any other synth...

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:
latigid on wrote:I would like to know if the freqbox osc goes into the sub-audio range, meaning it can act as a multi-waveformed (continuously so!) LFO.
::fingers crossed on that one::
Paraphrasing the manual:

The VCO has a range of 25-1600Hz, scaled to about 1V/oct. The frequency CV input accepts -5 to +5V.

Hello multiwaveformed LFO!

Headphones

Re: Will you buy a FreqBox?

Post by Headphones » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am

Yes, I'll buy one, once I got my effects out of the way (104M, 108M, 103), but I do need to get a Slim or Subphatty before I decide to. Maybe I'll get a 102 before the 107, but either way, it's going to be interesting to see if the 104 and 108's oscilators could control the 107's with a cable attached. (Seems like in theory it easily can, but proof will be if it does or not)

ebo

Post by ebo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 am

I use 4 freqboxes ,
hope for a new freqbox 2 with a pitch follower inside!
this track I only use the 4 freqboxes with my modular
http://youtu.be/srldS_oEkvc

logsnob

Post by logsnob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm in the market for a used freqbox, feel free to PM me your offers!
sesshinnofi.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/no-fi-sound-system