Anybody up for a Moog Spring Reverb?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Fanny666

Anybody up for a Moog Spring Reverb?

Post by Fanny666 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Looking at pictures of the old 905 module & looking at the prices of old spring reverbs
on Ebay, surely there would be a market for a new one?
Nothing fancy, just springs in a nice wooden box, sell for $400-$600...
The Vermona stuff looks nice, but they are not very well distributed.
Anyone know what the circuitry on the 905 module does?
F

logsnob

Re: Anybody up for a Moog Spring Reverb?

Post by logsnob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

A spring verb with cv controls yes please! Checkout the ekdahl moisterizer, also an old fisher space expander can be found for under $200, it has tube preamps and that signature King Tubby sound, dubwise!
sesshinnofi.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/no-fi-sound-system

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm

It has to be as good as this, which is probably not possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0c6qXYea6s

Fanny666

Post by Fanny666 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I'd be happy with a nice Moogy wooden box (so you can thump the top, dubstyle)
2 knobs in / out gain , 2 knobs & 2 CV controls for amount/size + dry/effect mix.
You could always add your own tube preamp / comp / eq to spice things up
probably wouldn't sell very many if it was $1500
$ 500-ish I think they would fly, guitarists looove spring verb's
F

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Carl Martin make a spring reverb in guitar pedal format (google it) so no reason that Moog won't be able to but fitting within fooger footprint might be tight.

There is not much in the way of value add to spring reverbs. The synth.com is fairly inexpensive. MOS-LAB and COTK make them in modular format as well. In essence it's nothing more than about $16 worth of parts (driven by op amp) and a $20 Accutronics tank. The circuit drive must match impedance if the tank (I built my own from a schematic published in the DIY forum on muffs; it's not brilliant but it works!).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Same as EM said.

I have a drawer full of reverb tanks. Right off the bat, when designing a reberb unit, it's best to concentrate on a frequency range and sound characteristics of the instrument. An organ reverb will not use the same reverb tank as one designed for electric guitar tube amp.

I have the original reverb tank that was used in the Synamp. I will probably make a front and back end to it at one point, but mostly for fun. Besides music stuff, electronics is a hobby, I don't expect much from it.

I have a couple Lexicons MX-200 I use mostly for reverb. It's inexpensive and although digital, the sound coming out of it is very very good.

The MF-104M used with mild settings sounds very reverbish used with a valve amp.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri May 03, 2013 12:32 am

I wouldn't have suspected that the reverb tank would have been much different from an organ to a guitar amp. Is it the length of the spring(s) vs the frequency range or what?

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri May 03, 2013 4:38 am

The springs in a reverb tank have, depending on number and length, a given amount of resistance, but in each tank, you will also find a drive coil and a pickup coil, whose purpose is to induce movement on the springs, each with their own resistance and inductance. You also need a signal and recovery amp, (discrete, IC, or valve). All these have to be carefully chosen in order to give the delay time you are looking for at an optimized frequency range.

The first reverb tank I got was from a low cost amplifier (Fender Frontman R212) I bought simply for the cab and speakers. I rewired the speakers for a Champion 600 (to this day my favorite small amp combo) and removed the amp and reverb tank. Every reverb tank I have seen so far is connected with a pair of RCA plugs and clearly marked. Could it be as simple as....????

I quickly made a insert cable and tried it with the effects jack on the Voyager. Nothing. I searched the web and quickly found a number of DIY articles. I tried a couple that worked to some extent while realizing I was way over my head on this. Reverb electronics happens to be very complex electronics.

To give you an idea, take a peek at this : OpAmp Reverb

Picture shows a Fender reverb tank in black, and the Synamp tank (Made in USA).