I love Moog but [rant]

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
nectarios

I love Moog but [rant]

Post by nectarios » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am

http://www.thomann.de/gr/moog_voyager_l ... ted_ed.htm

It saddens me to see this from a very well respected company with a huge legacy, that makes quality synthesizers that albeit slightly on the expensive side, they have an amazing sound.

In times of economic crisis this is stretching it, imo.

I ain't gonna start selling my Moog gear, or stop buying it (after having conversations with some folks that feel "offended and disgusted" by the Lunar Gold edition), but the Moog name is connected with build quality, amazing sounds and inspirational interfacing with their boxes...not bling.

All this is, is of course in my opinion, and just wanted to express my feelings when I say it....as irrelevant as they may be.

I love Moog and I think Amos and co. are doing an amazing job.

That is all.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

MC

Re: I love Moog but [rant]

Post by MC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 am

Judas priest don't rain on the party, pal. Was it lost on you that this is their way of celebrating the 10th year of the Voyager? How many keyboards stay in production even five years? Ten years is incredible, and incredible further is these things still sell.

Sure, few people can afford a Lunar Gold Voyager. Moog has been making custom variations of Voyagers since the beginning. Gibson, Fender, and PRS have done the same with their guitars, and they have made bling pieces like the Lunar Gold Voyager. Few people can afford them too. The point is not to make products that only customers with deep pockets can afford. The point is to acknowledge that business is good, despite the lousy economy.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 am

I don't like every model that a given car maker produces. That doesn't preclude me from enjoying the one I like.

I don't like everything that Moog Music makes, but I'm not expected to either.

To each his or her own.

I'm taking solace in the fact that the golden Voyager will be more expensive than a Minimoog D for a long while, hopefully, making the latter still affordable for all those who dream of owning one. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah but that gold makes it sound phatter, so I can see why someone might be disgusted. I am throwing out my Taurus 3 pedals in protest.

[edit]The Taurus 3 pedals were too heavy to throw so I'm keeping them, purely to save my back of course.[/edit]
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 am

MC wrote:The point is not to make products that only customers with deep pockets can afford. The point is to acknowledge that business is good, despite the lousy economy.
Fair enough. The Voyager anniversary is not lost on me. Its just lost on me to see a relatively small(?) company, to make such a product.

I am not saying I am "right", just saying that it does not look "right" to me. Too much bling...but then again I am biased as I am not rich, nor wealthy, although I am not complaining.
I consider my self among the lucky ones to afford a small studio and have time to make music.

Point taken about the expensive guitars though, I did not think about that and to be completely honest, you are right.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.

space_nerd

Post by space_nerd » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

I can understand what you're saying, but no-one forces us to buy anything. i don't take it as a "luxury show-off" by Moog music and even, it is their right to do it, if they want to.

There is law of marketing that says "design a top quality product and attach a high price - the people will still buy it, as a represent of quality and status".
I know this is not apply in our country these days. (are you from Greece too, right?) but still it's valid.

And even, judging by the recent products like mintaur and the subphatty, they are keen on the inexpensive products side - O.K., they are not MS20mini yet :P but that's another company of bigger size and their size allows them to do such as this (and it's curious Korg didn't that earlier).
And believe me, that subphatty sounds freakin' good and it's a big f****n' drool!!!
is that I'm covered in the mono synth / modular territory and another mono synth is not a big necessity right now

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm

In the US, we have a new saying for this kind of feeling:

"First world problem"

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:In the US, we have a new saying for this kind of feeling:

"First world problem"

Best example of this, ever.

:mrgreen:
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:12 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:In the US, we have a new saying for this kind of feeling:

"First world problem"

Best example of this, ever.

:mrgreen:
Thanks for that video , I have this conversation everyday with my son and

also with some of the young and old complainers I work with that don't realize what they have now. :lol:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 am

Yes, it's somehow comforting to hear that outside of my head too :)

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 am

space_nerd wrote:I can understand what you're saying, but no-one forces us to buy anything. i don't take it as a "luxury show-off" by Moog music and even, it is their right to do it, if they want to.

There is law of marketing that says "design a top quality product and attach a high price - the people will still buy it, as a represent of quality and status".
I know this is not apply in our country these days. (are you from Greece too, right?) but still it's valid.

And even, judging by the recent products like mintaur and the subphatty, they are keen on the inexpensive products side - O.K., they are not MS20mini yet :P but that's another company of bigger size and their size allows them to do such as this (and it's curious Korg didn't that earlier).
And believe me, that subphatty sounds freakin' good and it's a big f****n' drool!!!
is that I'm covered in the mono synth / modular territory and another mono synth is not a big necessity right now
Agreed that no one forces me to buy it, I never said that.

I am from Greece as well and I am glad I am able to afford my simple lifestyle and pay the rent/taxes/power/bills.
And yes Moog is keen on relatively inexpensive synths, and I appreciate that and own/love the Slim and Minitaur.

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Diamonds & Rust, Louis CK, cup of tea... Off to deuce, then play mi standard Moog gear. I'm happy.

aen

Post by aen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:20 pm

I just thought that thing was HILARIOUS. Not offensive.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:41 pm

aen wrote:I just thought that thing was HILARIOUS. Not offensive.
I thought it was a horrible implementation that was comical in its awfulness. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.