Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here please

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Tech_Buzz

Re: Minitaur firmware update soon - your requests here pleas

Post by Tech_Buzz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

Thank you Amos for your response. This forum thread http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15900 has others that appear to have had the same problem. If you have any suggestions you would like me to try I am more than willing to give them a try. Thanks again.
Voyager Select, Minituar, MF-104M, MF-108M, 2012 15" MBP 10.10.5, Ableton 9.7 64bit RME FF800

Freebot

Post by Freebot » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi, I perused the posts and tried to see what others have suggested before but it was a lot so I am gonna list everything I would love to see:

-Decay/Release function is very confusing, but it looks like you are changing mode 2 to reflect the actual synth's panel instructions....sweet

-Presets are still a mess. What I see is that when I design a patch on the Hardware, the software only recognizes changes in the knobs and parameters I physically changed. I.e. if I did not change the release amount on the filter, the software will use the previous patch's setting instead of reading the position of the Hardware resulting in different sound than the patch I just made when recalled. At this point, I just look at the Hardware and admire the pretty lights, but I do not touch it anymore. I only use the software to guarantee (somewhat as I still get patches that don't sound the same after they are saved) the patch will record properly. This is a huge let down as I want hardware so I can touch it.

-I seem to have issues with freezing too, but it has gotten more rare over time (have no idea why). I still experience random LFO death in which they just stop working. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, it just happens once in a while. I have everything tightly racked so this is a huge p.i.t.a. as I need to reach into the dark and try and unplug and re-plug the power cable.

-Also, we need a easy way to create Patch "categories." The "show packages" route is not ideal obviously and I don't like to mess with it while working in the editor as it is already a bug party and saving presets is already a "crap shoot."

-I haven't used the MT in ableton yet, but I hear that it is not going well for many people. I use ableton for performance, so I hope all issues with that are cleared up soon.

-Lastly, AU/VST support? That would be killer!

Thanks Amos, I live in Asheville so if you need someone to demonstrate these problems in person, please let me know.
Last edited by Freebot on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aen

Post by aen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Amos wrote: Anyone else having your Minitaur "freeze" or become non-responsive? If so, under what circumstances does it happen?
Usually at shows. Or at the first practice with a new guy I want to impress.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

TIP: make sure you are plugging into your sound system via AUDIO OUT ~ not AUDIO IN :lol:
aen wrote: Usually at shows. Or at the first practice with a new guy I want to impress.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

tatobox

Post by tatobox » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 am

hello Amos
I will try to explain in my bad english

Editor v2.0 (with direct usb connectio on MacBookPro 10.8.2:
- Storing banks does not work well as mentioned by many, but I've come to a little solution.
For example, if I want to store a new sound to the bank #6 do so:
1. Click on New button in editor
2. I set my sound
3. Click Save and type eg. FATBASS
4. Click on Capture bank
5. Click on the # previous to that I want to save my sound (in this case on 5)
6. Click on FATBASS in column Preset
7. Click on >>>
8. Click on Capture
Now my FATBASSS is on the bank #6
Every time I have to repeat exactly the same procedure
If I want to transfer a previously saved sound start from step 4
- It would be useful to delete a bank or all banks
- It would be useful to be able to create folders in the editor
- Would be useful a Export Preset button
- Function D / S better but this seems to be already in solution
- It might be useful to have a five separate memory banks where you can store a sound on the fly with a pressure simultaneously (for 3 seconds) of the all 4 buttons on the panel. Later by editor can move those sounds in bank position you prefer.

Minitaur (rev.2 with midi connection (no usb) used live)
- Unfortunately the minitaur crashes randomly
- Sending program change crashes minitaur randomly
- Filter hangs randomly
- Detune randomly
The only thing that I noticed and that happens more often when it is turned ON for some time.
The first time turned ON minitaur to the sound-check until the end of the live and the Minitaur crashing often.
Now, after the sound-ceck turn OFF and power back before the live.
- The headphone output is very fragile, it would be better a connector attached to the metal chassis

I hope you both understand something
Good day and thank you for the hard work

Tato

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

tatobox wrote:hello Amos
I will try to explain in my bad english
Hi Tato! Thanks for the excellent reply.
Your english is better than that of many native english users; just read the comments on YouTube some time for proof of this :)

I understand, and I will continue to work on improvements.

-Amos

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 am

Amos wrote: Anyone else having your Minitaur "freeze" or become non-responsive? If so, under what circumstances does it happen?
I use mine with Roland PK-5 midi pedals. It freezes about once every band practice and needs to be restarted. Of course this usually happens in the middle of a tune. I plan to use it in a studio in a few weeks. Hope I manage to get through the material without ruining all the takes. How can anyone use the Minitaur in a live setting ? I know I wouldn't have taken the chance. Imagine having a massive bass like that suddenly freeze and dissapear from the mix... As it is now it is not reliable enough for professional use. Hope to see a firmware update soon.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Krinor wrote:I use mine with Roland PK-5 midi pedals. It freezes about once every band practice and needs to be restarted.
Do you send Program changes from the PK-5? Exactly what messages are you sending out? Is there anything else in the MIDI "ecosystem" or is it just PK-5 output to Minitaur input, that's it? (no clock from anywhere, etc).

When it freezes, does it just latch up in the middle of playing a note (stuck note)? or does it go silent and stop playing new notes?

When it's in this state, does the MIDI LED continue flashing or no? Does it respond to panel button presses (osc 1/2, glide/decay buttons) or no?

Thanks for the extra details; this will help me to fix it. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get 100% reliability out of this little beast.

-Amos

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Krinor wrote: I use mine with Roland PK-5 midi pedals. ....
I tried the PK-6. No go... while the unit performs better on midi, i got the glide section frozen to an ever long glide, no turning glide knob or switching glide off does anything...

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm

I continue to have many of the same issues detailed here. The librarian is very nicely designed etc, but almost useless - I also get the strange phenomena of my presets, once ported over to the minitaur, not being located in the slot that I saved them in. In the library editor I line up my presets and move them over to the Minitaur, organized nicely, it looks like this:

0-Panel Settings
1-My preset1
2-My preset2
3-My preset3

After using the minitaur away from computer, when I attach it to the library editor again and hit "Capture Bank" it looks like this:

0-Panel Settings
1-Init
2-My preset1
3-My preset1
4-My preset2
5-My preset3
etc...

things get moved around, duplicated, there are tons of "Init" presets that feature an out of control LFO pitch sound...

Also, saving presets - I'll set up the front panel how I like it. Then I'll hit Cmd-C to capture the front panel. Great. When I hit "Save" however and type in a name, the name doesn't get saved, it gets renamed something really funky like E9%E9%E9%E9%E9%E9%...

I'm using the synth with an MPC1000. I've turned off midi time clock as I've found that to be completely unreliable.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm

Amos wrote:
Krinor wrote:I use mine with Roland PK-5 midi pedals. It freezes about once every band practice and needs to be restarted.
Do you send Program changes from the PK-5? Exactly what messages are you sending out? Is there anything else in the MIDI "ecosystem" or is it just PK-5 output to Minitaur input, that's it? (no clock from anywhere, etc).

When it freezes, does it just latch up in the middle of playing a note (stuck note)? or does it go silent and stop playing new notes?

When it's in this state, does the MIDI LED continue flashing or no? Does it respond to panel button presses (osc 1/2, glide/decay buttons) or no?

Thanks for the extra details; this will help me to fix it. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get 100% reliability out of this little beast.

-Amos
Upon startup I push the "Poly" switch on the Pk-5. It doesn't work in "Mono" mode for some reason. In Poly mode it sends note on off and pitch to the Minitaur. The only changes I make during play are some occational octave switching. Switching octaves is done by hitting the OCT button on the Pk5 and then the foot pedal responding to the required octave (Numbered 1,2,3 etc going from C and up) There is nothing else in the midi path. Just Pk-5 midi out to Minitaur midi in. When it freezes it becomes completely unresponsive. It does not latch up. It goes silent and stops reacting to any input. The midi LED does not flash.

Amos, don't get me wrong; I absolutely love this thing. For the price - it's a steal, and having the Moog sound almost in your pocket is great. But I can do without the midi issues. :wink:

Skab

Post by Skab » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Amos

First post here, sorry that it's a list of gripes. I'm actually a positive person IRL :D

Anyhow, not sure if these changes can be implemented in a FW update, but here are my requests.

1. I use my Minitaur almost exclusively via CV from my Elektron Analog Four. I've found that by adjusting the Middle C and v/oct values I can get the Minitaur in tune, but only over about one octave. I don't have any other CV gear that I can test it with, and I know that the Analog Four's CV output isn't perfect, so I'm not sure where my problem lies exactly. I'd appreciate any input from you or other users.

2. When CV is plugged in, the Minitaur's modulation section just doesn't work at all. Until I plug in the USB to my lappie. I have no idea why this should be the case.

3.I don't really use the editor, but some functions I'd like to set and forget. Like the legato mode, or locking the oscillators start cycle. However, upon power up the Minitaur seems to forget these settings.

I know I could fix all of these issues by just driving it from MIDI, but using MIDI CCs sounds "steppy" on a filter which is so creamy and smooth.

Apart from my problems, I *love* this synth! Best bass in the business!

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 am

I solved the MIDI pass thru issue I was having with the Editor and Ableton Live under Windows (not sure if it's an issue on OSX), so maybe something can be done firmware side to fix the small issues that remain? (Such as the firmware version being reported as a random number)

Details of the initial problem and then solution including remaining Editor issues here.

UltraRealism

Post by UltraRealism » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm

I love the sound of this thing but it is super glitchy. Also my first synth, I do know what to expect from analog though.

My oscillators die randomly.. Like just now the 1 and 2 button are off and are not doing anything when I press them, however when I press them from the editor they switch from square to triangle fine.

Sometimes the thing just freezes and rings a note and I have to unplug and start everything over. Like I can affect the sound with all the controls but it just hangs.

The LFO dies constantly. The VCA volume doesn't do anything when running the editor.. I can adjust volume but from the editor itself it does nothing. Sometimes the LFO rate seems funny, like with all the controls at 0 it's still running.

I like sequencing and controlling it with Ableton Live and I mostly just draw the notes in the sequencer and use the arpeggiator. This works well for a while before the thing just stops working, the LFO dies or the Minitaur just freezes on a note and I have to restart.

Basically, I love this thing, but it is not playable for me right now. I'm pretty sick of having to unplug and plug it back in and get it going over and over.

Hoping the update comes out soon and fixes all this like a magic bullet. :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 pm

UltraRealism wrote:Hoping the update comes out soon and fixes all this like a magic bullet. :D
It will! I'm glad you love the sound, I'm sorry you're having problems... hang in there, it will soon be 100%.