Amos: LP/Slim Firmware Suggestions

Everything Phatty.
Sir Nose

Amos: LP/Slim Firmware Suggestions

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 am

Amos I read your comment in another thread that you may have some time in the near future for LP/slim firmware work.

I thought I'd open this thread so folks can list minor tweaks and bugs that should be remedied. Try to be a realist in this thread, not looking for new features as space really does not permit much. There are lots of things I could see be done with the slim/LP firmware if time and space was not an issue.

There is some work to be done cleaning up the CC section.
1) At least one parameter that is on/off is backwards for which value range 0-63 vs 64-127 is for on and which is for off compared to the rest.
2) For arp and synced LFO intervals create a fixed integer interval for notes lengths that are powers of 2 and different integer interval for dots and a third for triplets. This way a square wave or stepped midi LFO can be assigned and make in time changes easier. Since, there are a range of values for each length the change does not have to occur exactly on the integer value, but a fixed increment that falls within each range would be very helpful. I will work up a chart to show you what I mean if I get time.

Bug I have noticed.
There is an ARP bug. It has been a while since I encountered it as I have been sequencing externally and not using the internal arp. It had to do with what would play when keys were held and released as new keys were pushed. It was definitely a bug and not "just the way it is implemented" type of thing.
related thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... it=arp+bug

Clock/arp/LFO
The menu structure and management for Clock controlled functions (arp and LFO) is a mess since the last few updates. Lots of great functionality was added, global arps, LFO retrig, and such. The added functionality has increased a bulk of pooh that has sucked some of the fun I had with my LP on OS 2.xx. Reading and knowing what the settings are it should really be easy. Really. But when creating it is not. Restructuring of the menus and changing how clock (internal and midi) is handled would greatly improve the slim/LP line.
Related thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... it=LFO+arp
Last edited by Sir Nose on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nectarios

Re: Amos: LP/SP Firmware Suggestions

Post by nectarios » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:12 am

I am guessing that VCO note sync is out of the question?
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm

nectarios wrote:I am guessing that VCO note sync is out of the question?
I'll look into whether or not it's possible to reset VCO2 on note-on... this requires a sync input for the oscillator, though, and the LP/SP VCO1 doesn't have one.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm

^
Most sounds where I would want osc sync at note on, I would only be using 1 osc anyway. Go for it!

Elgo

Post by Elgo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:37 am

My main suggestion: a software option to change the Slim Phatty's CV inputs into CV outputs. Is this doable? If so, I would love you forever.

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 am

There needs to be a way to sync and adjust ratios of the LFO and Arpeggiator by using the internal clock of the Little Phatty. Previously this function was "buggy", I don't see why it couldn't be improved on now knowing that new code has been written for external sync,which works wonderfully btw. I keep driving this issue because I love the sound of the patterns that these two functions can create. With that said, this requires the use for an external clock which I feel is unnecassary. When I use the Phatty, I primarily play with other musicians, no drummachines are used. To use this feature that I love so much, I have to end up dragging around more equipment than needed. For instance, I have been using a Korg EM-1(MIDI functions,not sound) if I want to be able to have a tap tempo master clock with adjustable LFO and arppegio ratios set by the LP. I find myself primarily playing improvised music with other musicians, needless to say the tap tempo function of the Little Phatty was an attractive feature. I feel that this feature would be even more desirable if there was an LFO and Arpeggio sync function(driven by internal clock) with the ability to adjust the arp. divisions and possiblly the LFO divisions.
edit: Some afterthoughts: A new option could be created(Master clk as external clk). The front panel functions may need to changed. Instead of the LFO knob changing ratios, it should function as it does in the internal mode. It should adjust only rate, even in arp mode. The divsions(LFO and Arpesggio) are adjusted in the option menu created in the last update.
Last edited by Benjamin AM on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:02 am

It would be useful to turn off the arp retrigger when using external clock, so all the arps can be played on beat.
Sometimes is hard to have all arps and LFOs in sync with retrigger on. I know you can turn it off for LFO, but I can't find this option for arp.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 am

Vitja wrote:It would be useful to turn off the arp retrigger when using external clock, so all the arps can be played on beat.
Sometimes is hard to have all arps and LFOs in sync with retrigger on. I know you can turn it off for LFO, but I can't find this option for arp.
This is definitely coming in the next update! New Arp mode, re-sync only to MIDI Start / keep that same downbeat timing thereafter. Long overdue...

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:29 am

Hi Amos,

Is it possible to code in a LFO MODDEST1: OFF setting for the Little Phatty, so when using the MOD BUSS OUT (CV Output Mod) to control other CV gear, the LP's internal LFO routing can be disabled?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts..

Regards,
David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 pm

David Smyth wrote:Hi Amos,

Is it possible to code in a LFO MODDEST1: OFF setting for the Little Phatty, so when using the MOD BUSS OUT (CV Output Mod) to control other CV gear, the LP's internal LFO routing can be disabled?
No, the CV output is the literal voltage that is applied to the mod bus of the synth. You can't have only one but not the other, they are the same thing.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Amos wrote:No, the CV output is the literal voltage that is applied to the mod bus of the synth. You can't have only one but not the other, they are the same thing.
Ah I see, ohwell - it was worth an ask!

Thanks for the speedy response!

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:12 am

So I guess we won't see any menu setting switching between pre- and post-modwheel CV out...

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:So I guess we won't see any menu setting switching between pre- and post-modwheel CV out...
Nope. The CV out would have to be tapped in a different location.

Johanivansson

Post by Johanivansson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 am

I don't know if this has been up before, but it would be great to be able to set induvidual volume levels for each patch.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 am

@ Johanivansson
I totally agree with you!
I really miss this function!
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.