Best cities for electronic music and art

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
VCS3

Best cities for electronic music and art

Post by VCS3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:22 pm

To forum members in the states, in your opinion or experience, what are the best cities/areas with a great experimental electronic music/art scene?

Cheers!

Kenneth

Re: Best cities for electronic music and art

Post by Kenneth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Minneapolis has been good to me. There is a huge community of synthesizer and electronic music enthusiasts, with regular synthesizer meet ups at a store here called Foxtone. This store also stocks loads of euro rack and new/used analog synth gear. I hang out there so often that the owner occasionally buys me lunch. Not a bad place!
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

logsnob

Post by logsnob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 pm

The DMV (DC, MD, VA) has a good experimental scene with small venues that will host local acts. Then there is the Sonic Circuits festival every year...
sesshinnofi.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/no-fi-sound-system

mico

Post by mico » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 pm

logsnob wrote:The DMV (DC, MD, VA) has a good experimental scene with small venues that will host local acts. Then there is the Sonic Circuits festival every year...
What venues do you speak of in the DMV vicinity?
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

logsnob

Post by logsnob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:46 pm

mico wrote:
logsnob wrote:The DMV (DC, MD, VA) has a good experimental scene with small venues that will host local acts. Then there is the Sonic Circuits festival every year...
What venues do you speak of in the DMV vicinity?
I've played and seen shows at like Pyramid Atlantic in Silver Spring, An Die Muzik and Red Room in Bmore, TheFridge and Velvet Lounge in DC, even an Ethiopian restaruant called Dynasty in DC.

check here for upcoming shows:
http://dc-soniccircuits.org/calendar/

I'm actually playing @ Comet Ping Pong this Sunday night with some rock bands but we (Dubpixels http://www.dubpixels.com/) are going on last and throwing down heavy live electronic music: http://sashalord-presents.tumblr.com/po ... d-dubpixel
sesshinnofi.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/no-fi-sound-system

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Where I live sux. If I can get 4 shows a year, it's a good year. This is a metal town or oldies. The only scene we had died in the mid 80's.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EpsilonExordium

Post by EpsilonExordium » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 am

Austin is an amazing city for this.

T.R.O.Y.

Post by T.R.O.Y. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Why, Detroit of course!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 pm

By experimental electronic music, I assume you don't mean a washtub bass with a transducer........freakin' bluegrass and country gospel here on the Missouri bootheel. They have an Arp 2600 on campus but "noone wants to use it" and I can't get the time of day from the guy who runs the lab to let me lay my eyes on it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Chicago has too many clubs/venues to count, and more electronic musicians than that! Milwaukee is the same. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

VCS3

Post by VCS3 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!
So far DC, MD, VA area and Minneapolis seem to have the most. My interest is piqued. I'll have to do more research in those areas.

EricK that ARP 2600 sounds cool, hope you're able to get at it.

T.R.O.Y, what venues/places in Detroit?

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm

For a time Chicago was considered the experimental electronic Capitol. Not sure how it stands anymore. Back in the day there was a place called Deadtech. Some great concerts there. I do know The Empty Bottle still puts on experimental shows. There's also a circuit bending group that gets together.

filtered

Post by filtered » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Carolina Beach, NC is a hotbed for Moog-infused music...., if you're at MY house! :lol:

T.R.O.Y.

Post by T.R.O.Y. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Really its about catching the right place at the right time in Detroit for electronic music. Tech fest is always a good one, downtown in Hart Plaza. UDetroit Cafe when they have the OTHAISH parties, Main Street in Ann Arbor, there a place in Ferndale thats a good place, good crowd. We have electronic music in our blood there, even if we dont know it.

aen

Post by aen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Kenneth wrote:Minneapolis has been good to me. There is a huge community of synthesizer and electronic music enthusiasts, with regular synthesizer meet ups at a store here called Foxtone. This store also stocks loads of euro rack and new/used analog synth gear. I hang out there so often that the owner occasionally buys me lunch. Not a bad place!
...And just 90 miles east, and nine years ago, I was essentially blacklisted for using a laptop on stage.