CV question

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
easyjoey

CV question

Post by easyjoey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:46 pm

Hello.

I recently picked up an Elektron Analog Four (amazing) and am extremely new to control voltages. The A4 does not send MIDI out, instead it sends CV. What I would like to do is have the A4 push its various sequences to my Voyager via CV. Again, I am new to CV. Can anyone tell me what I need to do with the voyager to make this happen? Reading the manual I was unable to find where its explained. I am not even sure what CV inputs I am supposed to use on the voyager.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

thealien666

Re: CV question

Post by thealien666 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Page 36 of the A4 online reference manual shows that it does send MIDI data when the MIDI OUT is configured to do so...
http://www.elektron.se/sites/default/fi ... OS1.00.pdf

But if you insist on using CV, you just have to know that Pitch CV is for controlling pitch, and Gate/Trigger CV is for triggering envelopes. On the A4, you have to set each output for it to send the signal you want, either Pitch CV ("Pitch V/Oct" for the Voyager), or Gate CV, as described on page 38 of the same online reference manual for the A4.

Much simpler, and more reliable, to use MIDI out on the A4 in order to get your Voyager to play in tune, trust me.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks for your response.

First, I was under the impression that the A4 did NOT send MIDI out even though there is a MIDI out port. Many poeple have complained about this and therefore, I did not think that was an option. Now, since you say that is an option, does that mean that I am going to be sending one of the four track sequences to the Voyager via MIDI? One reason why I wanted to use CV is so that I could use a 5th track sequence via CV to the Voyager.

If the only was to send a 5th track sequence to the Voyager is via CV, then I certainly want to solve that issue. I understand that the specific voltage value is crucial if you want the voyager to play in tune. I understand those values can be accuratly dialed in via the A4.

I will look at the pages you referenced in the manual. Thanks again for your help.

Joe

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 am

I just spoke to Moog's technical support and learned a few things.

In the manual it says that when a key is pressed a gate is opened to allow sound to pass through. Therefore, I was looking for a gate CV input that does not exist. The tech support guy said that I needed to use the Envelope CV input and in addition flip the Envelope switch on the control panel to "external" instead of keyboard. makes sense. In addition, he told me that I also need to use the pitch CV input as well.. Obviously that makes sense.

The other problem is, and you referenced it above, is the fact that the pitch CV on the voyager varies from one voyager to the next. Therefore, they aren't properly tuned. Moog's solution is an upgrade called CV Trim Control and is $90. The tech's will install it and calibrate it and then a user will have accurate pitch control.

Maybe this little bit of info will help some of you out that have experienced this issue.

Thanks

Joe

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 pm

A factory upgrade called "CV Trim Control" for $90 ?

That's good to know ! They don't advertise it too much ?? I didn't find it anywhere on the Moog Music web site ?

All those people who would like to control their Voyager via pitch CV would certainly benefit from that ! It should even be provided free of charge, since the Voyager is stated to be a V/Oct synth in the first place, but more often than not, isn't properly calibrated for this!

Thanks for the info ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:06 pm

That is exactly why I posted it. I didn't know anything about it and I figured a lot of guys on here would find that helpful. Seems like you are one of those guys :D

I agree, I think it should be included with the purchase price. Honestly, I got the impression from the tech support guy that the vast majority of users don't use CV in this way and therefore they don't put it on there because its an added expense. Luckily I am in the Ashville area serval times a year so I will just drop by and have them upgrade me while I wait.

Thanks

Joe

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 pm

easyjoey wrote:...a lot of guys on here would find that helpful. Seems like you are one of those guys :D
You know what's funny ? I don't even own my Voyager anymore... But I'm always on the lookout for useful info, and try to help people who want to go the CV route. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

muksys

Post by muksys » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm

This is amazingly good news! Thanks for the info. I have an Old School that I'd love to control with CV'a (without relying a Kenton MIDI>CV to adjust the scaling.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

If you are handy, if your Voyager or VOS is outside of its warranty period or if you just don't care, this is quite easily done.

One of my favorite aspects of the Voyager or VOS is that the Analog board is a 100% thru-hole affair and all that is required is pulling one resistor, and replacing with a low value resistor + trim pot in series. Calibration is easily done as well provided you can generate a precisely attenuated voltage and have a decent ear.

If, on the other hand your Voyager is in the mood for a full calibration, may as well pay Moog to do this also; do not, under any circumstances, try to tweak any of the 20+something trim pots for any reason; tis the equiv of synth-homicide!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 pm

So which resistor is the one to replace? And with exactly what lower wattage resistor? And what size trimpot? Surely someone else has done this before and can shed some light...

Stephen