Little Phatty Stage II or Sub Phatty?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Re: Little Phatty Stage II or Sub Phatty?

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:46 pm

I don't know what they mean by "player's keyboard" but that can mean quite a lot of different things to different people.

I would definitely want to put my hands on them before I bought them. You may find that the keyboard isn't a player's keyboard at all depending on how you react to the feel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the preset limitations, there will usually be some sort of method to back up and store presets on your computer if Moog doesn't authorize a software librarian or some third party makes something to fill the void, there will possibly be more presets in the future.

In my opinion, Voltor is exactly right when it comes to knob-per-function. I think that an instrument that has no barriers between you and it's controls (like menus or knobs which control multiple functions like on the LP and Taurus) is the best interface, and once you go that route, you will not want to settle for anything less. The Sub Phatty is really the synthesizer they should have built from the beginning when they went to the LP. Bob designed the sound engine but they should have gone that route with the interface. Had they done that I might have owned a Phatty rather than the Voyager. Had they done that with the Taurus like they did the Minitaur, I would own a Minitaur. I think the interface is that important. You could get the best of both worlds later by purchasing a slim.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

T.R.O.Y.

Post by T.R.O.Y. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

EricK wrote:I don't know what they mean by "player's keyboard" but that can mean quite a lot of different things to different people.

I would definitely want to put my hands on them before I bought them. You may find that the keyboard isn't a player's keyboard at all depending on how you react to the feel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the preset limitations, there will usually be some sort of method to back up and store presets on your computer if Moog doesn't authorize a software librarian or some third party makes something to fill the void, there will possibly be more presets in the future.

In my opinion, Voltor is exactly right when it comes to knob-per-function. I think that an instrument that has no barriers between you and it's controls (like menus or knobs which control multiple functions like on the LP and Taurus) is the best interface, and once you go that route, you will not want to settle for anything less. The Sub Phatty is really the synthesizer they should have built from the beginning when they went to the LP. Bob designed the sound engine but they should have gone that route with the interface. Had they done that I might have owned a Phatty rather than the Voyager. Had they done that with the Taurus like they did the Minitaur, I would own a Minitaur. I think the interface is that important. You could get the best of both worlds later by purchasing a slim.

Eric
Thanks Voltor and Eric. Those were two selling points for me initially, I just was always apprehensive to the LPii with comments about it being a player board and whatnaught. Im visiting Dubai right now and I wish they had them over here to demo a little. Guess I'll have a go in a few months when I get back home.

Another thing I was wondering was how much this version on the SP would depreciate considering that there might be additions or mods to make it better? Thinking that it most likely wouldn't, I was wondering how often this machine would show up later on down the line and near the price point its at, because it seems to be an exceedingly great piece. Just afraid if I pass up now, would I be kicking myself later, really.

(85% close to ordering without even demoing it yet though)

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I'm sure it will be in production for awhile. They will probably phase out the Voyager XL at some point in the future to make room for something else. They may dc the Slim Phatty or even the Minitaur, but I think there will always be a Voyager and a Phatty of some kind. As far as whether or not they will appreciate, I don't know if anyone can say for sure. If they make it better by adding stuff like a memory upgrade or CV outs or something, you can always get it upgraded. The Voyagers went through a lot of changes since their release. They added memory and various features to the operating system, as well as hardware modifications like filter glide and aftertouch. They even improved the backlighting system on the Electric Blues. They may not even be finished yet.

I don't know if they will hold their value like some of the original Moog stuff does, but I think you are in denial if you think you are only 85% sold on it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

T.R.O.Y.

Post by T.R.O.Y. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 am

Makes sense. I know I always try to give myself a reason not to buy something I really want sometimes, but I'm pretty sure I'm going all the way on this one. The idea of having more control over any sound and saving those patches as opposed to the menu-y LPii has bolstered my decision, to be honest. I think for my first Moog purchase this wouldnt be too bad and the SP idea doesnt sound shabby either. Thanks again.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 am

I would definitely pick the SubPhatty over the Little Phatty, especially if I wanted to do some nice analog sound design. The extra features (and sound imo) of the SubPhatty are too many to ignore.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts