Minitaur Editor 2.0 Tips & Hints

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Stuka

Minitaur Editor 2.0 Tips & Hints

Post by Stuka » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 am

I thought a central location to help decipher the Minitaur 2.0 Editor might be helpful, so I'll start with a few things I think I have unraveled and gleamed from some other threads (Everything here might not be the ONLY way to accomplish these tasks, but they work!):

FIRMWARE UPDATE

If you have problems during the firmware update, disconnect the USB cable and power to the Minitaur.
Reapply power, reconnect the USB cable, and try the firmware update utility again (it took a couple of tries for mine to work). If you continue having problems, try connecting directly to your computer's USB port instead of a USB hub, and make sure you're using a known good USB cable.

Editor - UNDER THE HOOD
(All Editor functions were verified using Windows 7, 64- bit)

* MIDI SETUP: Make sure the MOOG MINITAUR is selected under both INPUTS and OUTPUTS. Only one device can be selected under each section, so to enable real-time playback while the Editor is open, connect a MIDI keyboard or other controller to the Minitaur via the MIDI DIN connector.

* When everything is connected properly, "firmware version: " will change from "?" to "2.0.0"
(or whatever the latest firmware version happens to be)

See the ** Using the Editor simultaneously with a USB MIDI controller ** tip below to see how to use a USB controller simultaneously with the Editor.

Editor - PRESETS

* You can easily add additional categories to the "Category" column by adding additional sub-folders to the Minitaur Editor program installation presets folder: C:\Minitaur_Editor_v2_0 \ data \ presets
New categories will show up the next time the Editor is started.

* When auditioning presets in the "Presets" column, keep the main Editor control panel window open - when a preset has been correctly selected (sometimes takes a couple of mouse clicks), the controls on the main Editor control panel window will change to reflect the selected preset. (You can also audition presets in the "Minitaur" column, but presets selected there do NOT update the main Editor control panel window).

* The "Minitaur" column reflects the presets that are loaded into the Minitaur's memory slots - the "Capture Bank" button will display all the presets that are currently loaded (may take a while to load, depending on the number of presets in the Minitaur memory).

* Presets are written to the Minitaur "on the fly" as follows:

1) Select a slot to store your preset under the "Minitaur" column. Any selected (highlighted) slot (whether already occupied or vacant) will be overwritten by the preset you select. NOTE - DO NOT SELECT SLOT 0, "Panel Settings" - it is used to store the current physical panel settings of the Minitaur! It will reset each time you start the Editor, so using that slot may cause problems with the numbering sequence for your presets!

2) In the 'Presets" columns, select the preset you want to load to the Minitaur (see my tip above about auditioning presets). Click the ">>>" button, and the preset you selected will be written to the memory slot you selected in Step 1. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed, or until all 100 slots are filled... : )
(NOTE - the "<<<" button will let you save presets FROM the Minitaur TO the Editor; might come in handy for sharing patch sets between Minitaurs loaded with different presets...)

__Creating presets using the Editor

* "New" sets the controls to a basic starting tone position, but any existing preset could be used as a starting point.

* Tweak your new preset as desired using the main Editor control panel window and "Under the hood" window , then select a Category. Click "Save", and you can save your custom preset with a name of your choice. Transfer to the Minitaur per steps 1 and 2 above.

__Creating presets using the Minitaur's hardware panel

* Tweak your new preset as desired using the Minitaur's hardware panel.

* From the "Presets" window, "Minitaur" column, select "0 - Panel Settings". Also select a "Category" for your new preset.

* From the main Editor control panel window, select "File, Capture" (This transfers your hardware settings to the Editor).

* From the "Presets" window, click "Save", and you can save your custom preset (your current hardware settings) with a name of your choice.

* If needed, you can tweak additional settings for this new preset using the Editor - see "Creating presets using the Editor" above.

* Transfer to the Minitaur's memory slots per steps 1 and 2 above.

**********************************************************************************************************

Hope that helps ~ please feel free to add more Tips & Hints!!

Randy
Last edited by Stuka on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Stuka

Re: Minitaur Editor 2.0 Tips & Hints

Post by Stuka » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:00 pm

** Using the Editor simultaneously with a USB MIDI controller **

UPDATED 10 Feb 13

Using "MIDI-OX" and "LoopBE" (both freeware), the Editor and a USB MIDI controller can access the Minitaur simultaneously over USB
(I'm using the combination on a Windows 7 64-bit PC):

To start, make sure LoopBE (or similar virtual MIDI driver) is active (a LoopBE icon should be visible in the Windows system tray)

MIDI-OX setup:

1.) Be sure the "Pass SysEx" option is enabled
2.) Enable your USB MIDI controller and LoopBE as INPUT ports in MIDI-OX.
(Do NOT enable Moog Minitaur as an INPUT port!!)
3.) Enable LoopBE and Moog Minitaur as OUTPUT ports.
4.) Route the USB MIDI controller INPUT port to the LoopBE OUTPUT port
5.) Route the LoopBE INPUT port to the Moog Minitaur OUTPUT port
5.) Be sure to leave MIDI-OX running! (minimized is OK)

Minitaur Editor -

"Under the Hood", MIDI SETUP:
1.) Set INPUTS to Moog Minitaur
2.) Set OUTPUTS to LoopBE (or whatever virtual MIDI driver you are using)

NOTE:
If the "firmware version: " doesn't change from "?" to "2.0.0", try clicking the OUTPUT port you previously selected, then the INPUT port you previously selected. If problems continue, you may need to cycle the Minitaur power, then restart MIDI-OX and the Editor.

You can save the MIDI-OX settings as a profile, which can easily be recalled on next use with just a couple of mouse clicks; just be sure the Minitaur and USB controller are connected before launching MIDI-OX. The Minitaur will retain its last MIDI port selections, so getting the Editor / USB controller combination working again should be a breeze!!

Works great! 8)
Last edited by Stuka on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks helped a bunch! A little more playing around and it should all start to make sense.

Briman

Post by Briman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Amos...

Ok... with the help of Stuka/Randy's Editor info above... I was finally able to save more than 1 Front Panel Sound! :)

However... I still have the same naming problem as before? But now I can define it better:
- When I save a new Panel settings sound into the Presets column... then use the ( >>> ) tab to save it into say Minitaur #1...
it does that... and the sound is there... with it's new name!
- But when I do a "Capture bank"... the sound I saved is still in Minitaur #1... BUT...
the name is changed back to what the name was... "before" I saved the new sound???
- Weirdly... the NEW Name shows up in Minitaur #2... on top of a different sound that was already saved there... with a different name!!??
- So my 2.0 Editor saves my new sound where I put it... but not the name??? It puts the new name 1 number location higher!?!?

This is driving me crazy!!! How can I build up a Bank of my own sounds... when I can't name each one???
At this point... the only solution is to name them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc... and only use MIDI Patch Select Numbers on my Controller... to identify them!
This is a pretty poor resolve though huh!

Meanwhile... in the Editor's "Capture bank"... for example: 5 in the Presets Column... has the sound of 5 in the Minitaur... but has 4 for a name?!
4 in the Presets Column... has the sound of 4 in the Minitaur... but has 3 for a name?! And so on for all the rest!? Geesh!? These headaches! :(

btw: I was finally able to create my own "Category"... from info in another post relating to PCs.
So for my Mac... I deduced that I "Control Click" on the Minitaur Editor... then select:
"Show Package Contents" > Contents > Resources > data > presets > then in the Mac's File Menu... select "New Folder"... and name it.
So in essence... I've created a New Folder "inside" of the "presets" folder. It then shows up in the Category Column... the next time you open the Editor! :)

Any ideas on my Naming problem??? Many thanks in advance!
Anyone else having this same naming problem?

botski

Post by botski » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:36 am

EDIT - I got it to work. I was mistaken in assuming that setting up the MIDI communication is done via the MIDI menu item of the top of the main screen. But it is done at the BOTTOM of "Show Under The Hood" screen. Hmmm. Anyways, I have attached a screenshot for anyone else having problems. (I guess I cant because "The board attachment quota has been reached." Hmmmm. :?: )

My original message:
___________________________________________________________________________________

Can anyone with 64 bit Windows 7 confirm that they can communicate to the Minitaur via the editor and via a simple USB cable? When I connect the Minitaur to my PC, the Minitaur shows up in my audio drivers (control panel/system/audio) . But anything I do in the editor doesnt get sent to the Minitaur. Its MIDI light is off, and I know it works. Other programs, like MIDI OX are able to send data to the Minitaur via my Maudio cable. So I am wondering if the problem is 64 bit Windows 7.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Briman wrote:...

Meanwhile... in the Editor's "Capture bank"... for example: 5 in the Presets Column... has the sound of 5 in the Minitaur... but has 4 for a name?!
4 in the Presets Column... has the sound of 4 in the Minitaur... but has 3 for a name?! And so on for all the rest!? Geesh!? These headaches! :(

...?
I can confirm I see /hear the same thing when bringing the "Capture bank" into the Editor... :?:

secmast

Post by secmast » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:13 am

Stuka wrote:
Briman wrote:...

...?
I can confirm I see /hear the same thing when bringing the "Capture bank" into the Editor... :?:
Same here on OSX 10.7 this is driving me crazy.
Actually I don't really use the store preset as I may make mistake because of this.
And as Amos said, Moog is seeing the editor as a freebee then they are not putting enough effort and ressource on this.
I'm very disappointed by the turn taken those last weeks with the editor as after version 2 nothing's moving anymore.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm

It is a bit discouraging.

I REALLY hope the Minitaur and Editor don't wind up going the way of M-Audio's Venom VA synth, although some if it is starting to "feel" a bit familiar.
(With the Venom, it was get the synth out the door with well-deserved hype, quit work on the editor just when it's starting to show promise, then abandon the whole project - synth and all - a year after it hits the streets. REALLY hope that doesn't happen here!).

EDIT 12/21:

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Editor issues will be addressed and it becomes fully supported!
(as a paid application, if necessary, for a reliable, documented Editor).

Fingers also crossed on updates for FIltatron - and so far, the Animoog 2.0 iPad updates look awesome!!!!
Last edited by Stuka on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hogo

Post by hogo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 am

^^^ I have a venom. This is much better. They have also sold A LOT more minitaur's than avid/m-audio sold venoms. Moog is a much better company than the above mentioned. We'll be fine ;)

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

hogo wrote:^^^ I have a venom. This is much better. They have also sold A LOT more minitaur's than avid/m-audio sold venoms. Moog is a much better company than the above mentioned. We'll be fine ;)
+1 for the positive thinking. :)

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 pm

After a LOT of additional tinkering ~

Updated the post ** Using the Editor simultaneously with a USB MIDI controller **
The updated MIDI-OX configuration seems to make for very reliable simultaneous Editor and USB controller connections to the Minitaur.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p105946

:)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Indeed, following the guide the editing works fine, thanks!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Y-NE

Post by Y-NE » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Having some problems with the editor, too. Sending presets to the device is fine and also editing and saving sounds via the editor works (Mac OS X 10.6.8). However, I can´t use the hardware to store sounds correctly. The capturing of settings from the synth to the editor is working (I see the right values on the buttons in the software)-but when I save such a sound it sounds different than the one with panel settings all the time. It seems there is especially a problem with the LFO (I tried using the modwheel on my mid controller to overcome that, but no success). Something which is also annoying is that when I saved sounds to the synth itself and then capture the bank via the editor the assignment of the slots/names is not correct. On number 0 is the panel settings which is ok, but on the slot with number 1 I always get displayed a sound named "init" - also I stored other sounds in that slot several times.
Is there a solution for that? I hope the bugs of the editor will be solved soon. I mean the beauty of a real synth is the hands on control and I want to be able to use the hardware to design my sounds in order to store them via the editor. That I can only save sounds from the editor correctly is really annoying!
And one last question - is there a way to delete all sounds from the synth again. I erased and installed the current firmware - but the sounds I saved before where all still there?? Selecting a sound on the synth bank and clicking on delete does not work either

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:39 am

Hello Stuka,
I am a new Minitaur owner since yesterday :D
I have tried to make the following set-up: Korg Microkey 37 --> MacBook (OSX 10.6) --> Minitaur. But I cannot get to play the Minitaur with the Microkey so far, no matter how I set-up the "under the hood" midi options.

>> I read your ** Using the Editor simultaneously with a USB MIDI controller ** post, but unfortunately the two tools you suggest (MIDI-OX and LoopBe) are not available for Mac. I tried to search on Google but found no clear answer.

>> Is there a suggestion for Mac owners? Otherwise, I would have to give up on my USB keyboard and use a classic MIDI DIN one, which is a pity because I have no regular Midi 37 keys compact keyboard of that size (are there any?)

I confess I am a bit lost here.
Thanks for your help and explanations!

Best Regards,
V

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 am

Sorry, but afraid I can't help on the using the editor with a Mac - I'm Windows PC only.

I would think there would be MIDI virtual drivers (like LoopBE) and MIDI routers (like MIDI-OX) available for the Mac, but I have no idea where to direct you... :?:

You might want to take a look at the iConnect MIDI devices that are out -

They are made for use with iOS host devices, but also work as stand-alone MIDI hosts themselves.
They can interconnect and route MIDI signals from multiple DIN, USB, computer, and iOS devices, with or without the iOS device or computer in the loop.

Also -
Alesis, Akai, and M-Audio all make compact keyboard controllers that have both USB and MIDI DIN ports.
Might be worth looking at some of their offerings.

I could certainly be wrong, but I sort of doubt we will see a Moog - or many other - hardware synths designed to act as a USB host and directly accept USB MIDI controller devices anytime soon. Probably not cost-effective...