FreqBox as Subharmonic Generator

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Vsyevolod

FreqBox as Subharmonic Generator

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Don't know if this finding of mine has been discussed before so here goes...

Patch the 'Osc Out' into the 'Audio In'. Take the Output and send it to your mixer. Set the controls in the following manner:

Freq = 4 1/2
Sync = off
Waveform 3:00 (halfway between square and pulse).

Drive 12:00
Output 12:00

Env. Amount = 5
FM Amount = 5
Mix = 4

Turning the FM Amount to the right will drop the pitch by increments found in the subharmonic series. For those of you new to subharmonics, they follow the same pattern as the harmonic series, except in reverse. The above settings gets the FreqBox to oscillate about as high as it can. From there you follow the subharmonic series down: octave, fifth, fourth, major third, minor third, septimal third, septimal second, major second, etc.

Another way of looking at it is this: Harmonics follow these ratios, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1, 5/1, 6/1, 7/1, 8/1 etc. (C2, C3, G3, C4, E4, G4, Bb4-, C5) Subharmonics follow these ratios: 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8 etc. (C5, C4, F3, C3, Ab2, F2, D2+, C2).

This is using only the FreqBox as a solo sound source. Additional fun can be had by setting up an old school sequencer or keyboard and 'playing' melodies that are derived from this scale. You'll quickly find that the Harmonic Series is more 'major' sounding while the Subharmonic Series is more 'minor' sounding.

I used to do this with the Positive Slew module on my Serge Synthesizer, haven't come across it for many years until now.

Cheers,

Stephen

unfiltered37

Re: FreqBox as Subharmonic Generator

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 pm

good job on the math, but can we hear something?

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

This is an awesome trick! Thanks for posting it.

A step further,take the envelope out and patch it to the envelope amount and this does some cool things also. Plugging it in the FM amount makes the FM amount act like a fine tuning knob for the crazy cheeps the envelope amount produces.

Tried it by itself and with extra gear and it's really cool!

Thanks very much!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 am

unfiltered37 wrote:good job on the math, but can we hear something?
I don't have a way to record sound and put it out on the Interwebs at the moment.

Stephen

ebo

Post by ebo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 pm

@ebo - Absolutely love the last minute or so of that video - those sounds are so exciting in a relaxing way. That is quite the rig you have *drool*.

@Stephen - Totally trying this set up this weekend, maybe my freqbox will weasel it's way back into my regular use stuff.

Thanks to you both!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:57 pm

ebo wrote:thanks Stephen!

http://youtu.be/Z-5gwuSM4Ok
If my post inspires only one person to go explore this much-misunderstood and sometimes-maligned little beast, then I've done my job. Great work ebo!

Stephen

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:14 pm

I actually made a video demonstrating this, but I'm having technical dificultues at the moment, but I will update this when all is sorted out.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ebo

Post by ebo » Wed May 08, 2013 12:20 am

the patch with sync on!
http://youtu.be/PmucFYZwMQ4