Little Phatty & Guitar Pedals - Testing

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Re: Little Phatty & Guitar Pedals - Testing

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:01 pm

xombiexplox wrote:I tried using a Little Phatty through an EH Memory Man and Memory Boy at a local music store the other day, and it honestly sounded like adding delay to a trash compactor.

I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if both of them were defective pedals, but they sounded awful!Didn't even sound like a synth, just garbled noise!
With analog delay, the settings have to be just right, otherwise too much delay time or feedback causes noise. Sometimes that's desirable, sometimes not. If you're looking for a solid delay with minimal sound coloration that still has analog warmth, try the EHX #1 Echo. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

prog_keys

Post by prog_keys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12 am

xombiexplox wrote:I tried using a Little Phatty through an EH Memory Man and Memory Boy at a local music store the other day, and it honestly sounded like adding delay to a trash compactor.

I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if both of them were defective pedals, but they sounded awful!Didn't even sound like a synth, just garbled noise!
I've been using my LP for over a year now with an EHX Memory Toy (the smallest one) and it sounds great. All settings are on the 11 o'clock side of the dials, and gets a nice analogy delay that's not to muddy. If you have the feedback up high (past 1 o'clock) on these pedals, they have a tendency to self-oscillate, which they're designed to do, and can sound like a crazy wall of sound, but once you back it off you should have a nice normal delay sound, at least that's what my experience has been.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am

One of my favorite "not like anything else" pedals
is the Electro-Harmonix HOG.

If used bluntly, it makes things sound like an organ
(with multiple drawbars pulled out).

But, apply some delicacy, and you'll dive into sonic
waters you've never explored before.

The control pedal input in the back works well with CV
(especially if you tame it with a CP-251 or DIY variable
resistor) and can be assigned to lots of cool parameters.

I also get amazing results from feeding Animoog into the
HOG. So much so that I'm thinking of getting a second
HOG just so I can process stereo signals. (And that's saying
a lot considering the price of a HOG.)

Here's a video where I control the HOG with an MP-201 and
an Etherwave Plus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOdP0CaP5A

Here are some hi-res panel pics:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HOG/

And here's the owner's manual:
http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/hog.pdf
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:One of my favorite "not like anything else" pedals
is the Electro-Harmonix HOG.
My absolute favorite too. I use it mostly with guitar and basses though. Over time, I have sold pretty much all single and multi-effects I bought. I kept only the Boss Super-Overdrive, the Boss ME-20B (does an amazing job on active basses and regular guitars), the Digitech RP-70 and of course the HOG, which is as you said unlike anything else.

Playing a church organ from a guitar is pretty amazing 8) The Hog is a bit complex to use though, I am considering getting a Pog too.

I often use the RP-70 with a heavy distortion preset in front of a MF-105. Interesting textures from there.

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Interesting thread - thanks! :) Also living in Australia (Sydney), I can relate to what you say about the general lack of Moog facilities and support here. It's unfortunate, and considered a bit of a specialty item from my experience. That's OK - it makes owning some of their synths even more special.

I've bought the entire range of Eventide "Factor" pedals - the ModFactor, PitchFactor, TimeFactor and Space. These are full-blown computers in a little box, and they're blowing me away. Infinitely adjustable, and lined up in series process the humblest squeak coming from the Voyager or Phatty in to into a symphony of swirling sound. Some of the basic effects (delay especially) are duplicated - to varying degrees between all four, but all up they are absolutely individual in their flavour and add soooooo much to my appreciation of my instruments.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:27 am

Portamental wrote:I am considering getting a Pog too.
The POG2 is amazing. Sounds really great on guitars but I'm not sure about using it with synths.
I was about to get one but I don't need it.

Yet.

Still debating with myself about CP251 or LP CV out mod.

aen

Post by aen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:32 pm

In my neighborhood we tend to use our moogs as standalone machines, but every once in a while we go a little nuts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy6FB7xVP0w
LP with Dwarfcraft Baby Thundaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-xk_wEU6TU
At 6:58 we get into the LP>Dwarfcraft SOMMS, Baby Thundaa, and Malekko Echo

stiiiiiiive wrote:
The POG2 is amazing. Sounds really great on guitars but I'm not sure about using it with synths.
We used a POG for a while on the LP. Some patches sounded great, some just sounded like a bunch of calculators complaining.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:19 pm

aen wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:
We used a POG for a while on the LP. Some patches sounded great, some just sounded like a bunch of calculators complaining.
I'll borrow my guitarist's then ;)

aen

Post by aen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Just remember the Low Pass filter on it. Thats probably how you make complainging calculator sounds into nice pads.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 am

Lately I tend to leave the effects alone because I seem to play with the effects more than the instrument. I have used my EHX HOG on LP. It has the potential to gobble up an entire day. The freeze- gliss is a force! I also have used my EHX Frequency Analyzer (ring mod) with good results. I haven't tried overdrive yet, but I have a EHX Germanium OD I may try. The bias and voltage controls on that guy give my bass and guitars tons of retro mojo.

Xombiexplox, it could have been that the modulation was turned on. EHX seems to offer anything from subtle to over-the-top. The modulation on their Memory series delays range from viable chorusing, to warbling chaos. Was it in and out of tune?

Effects are definitely preferential. I have initially passed on sounds only to later hear someone else make that exact sound shine in context.
-e

I want to hear calculators complaining!!

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Just wanted to share this video with you... this is the first video I'm just playing my Phatty with an EHX Deluxe Memory Boy.

I hope you like it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0qM3n9UiYE
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Nice. There's lots of awesome fx we can use to create new sounds and textures, but a good delay is almost a given. My DD-20 is on at all times.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 am

@rickandboogie
You're right, the delay is an essential effect for synths. Thanks!

@steviiiiiiive
Thank you for your kind words.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 am

I'm guitarist and I own lots of guitar FX stomp boxes. Mostly vintage stuff.
I tried everything with all the instruments that I own, but I have to say that there is not much to do wit them...
I liked vintage RAT distortion pedal with Korg Polysix. It was great with high resonance on Pilysix filter cutoff.

I also liked Juno 106 with boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5 (analog one) which is almost identical to Juno's chorus, but it has controls.

Electro Harmonix Big Muff was OK with Slim Phatty... But I don't use it often.

I like the idea of Send/return with Fuzz/Dist... you don't lose your sound, you just add some texture.

I just love my Foogers for synths!!! :mrgreen:
And for guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I really need something like flange/chorus/pitch shift/phaser, I go for Ensoniq DP/4.
It is much more creative and sounds really good!!!
I would love to have Moog Phaser, but this one has to wait.

I like the idea of creating sounds within a synth.

Maybe the best thing is Tape Echo.
I have really old Watkins copicat and is better than Moog 104z!
Don't get me wrong! I'm obsessed with 104z, but Tape sounds better!!!

I liked WMD Gaiger Counter with anything. It is just so crazy. But I don't have it.

Maybe some Dwarcraft fuzz would be great!

And Metasonix is most interesting way to go.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.