New Moog SP Editor

Everything Phatty.
sp00ge

New Moog SP Editor

Post by sp00ge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello All,

This may be a bit of a dead horse, but seeing what Moog has done with the Minitaur (especially Rev 2) I think it is a fair to request a similar in house product for the SP (it doesn't have to be free).

I own a SP, Minitaur, Mopho and Tetra including all of the available software editors/librarians. I compose via Ableton or Logic, and mixdown in Protools. I rely heavily upon software editors for generating, automating, archiving, and transferring patch data. Workflow is everything to me. I don't mind spending a bunch of hours tweaking a product to perfection, but once I am done with the setup phase I do not want to be tweaking it some more every time I start a new project. I love knob tweaking, but it is important that I can rapidly and dependably capture my knob updates in an editor without worrying about losing my changes due to some bug or complicated saving process.

I mention all of this because I feel that both of the software options for the SP are cumbersome to use relative to the software editors for the other three instruments I mentioned. Both of the DSI plugins by Sound Tower are fairly solid in terms of patch management, ease of setup, synth to editor communications and stability. The Minitaur Rev 2 seems pretty stable and and aside from the inability to create categories in the patch menu is very easy to use. None of these products are perfect, but they all have a decent sized GUI (Minitaur Editor is a bit large) and in terms of workflow/stability outperform the SP Rekon plugin or Sound Tower librarian.

So how about having the Minitaur developer churn out a new editor for the SP? Charge us $60 if need be. Just give us something dependable with in house support, or get Sound Tower to generate a decent plugin on par with the DSI editors.

I am planning on buying a Voyager RME and DSI 08 Prophet in the next year, I hope by then there are some better editing solutions for both the SP and Voyager.

BTW good job on the Minitaur Rev2 release, I find it to be much more stable then the previous and the additional feature set is appreciated.

acatcalledanarchy

Re: New Moog SP Editor

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 pm

sp00ge wrote:Hello All,

This may be a bit of a dead horse, but seeing what Moog has done with the Minitaur (especially Rev 2) I think it is a fair to request a similar in house product for the SP (it doesn't have to be free).

I own a SP, Minitaur, Mopho and Tetra including all of the available software editors/librarians. I compose via Ableton or Logic, and mixdown in Protools. I rely heavily upon software editors for generating, automating, archiving, and transferring patch data. Workflow is everything to me. I don't mind spending a bunch of hours tweaking a product to perfection, but once I am done with the setup phase I do not want to be tweaking it some more every time I start a new project. I love knob tweaking, but it is important that I can rapidly and dependably capture my knob updates in an editor without worrying about losing my changes due to some bug or complicated saving process.

I mention all of this because I feel that both of the software options for the SP are cumbersome to use relative to the software editors for the other three instruments I mentioned. Both of the DSI plugins by Sound Tower are fairly solid in terms of patch management, ease of setup, synth to editor communications and stability. The Minitaur Rev 2 seems pretty stable and and aside from the inability to create categories in the patch menu is very easy to use. None of these products are perfect, but they all have a decent sized GUI (Minitaur Editor is a bit large) and in terms of workflow/stability outperform the SP Rekon plugin or Sound Tower librarian.

So how about having the Minitaur developer churn out a new editor for the SP? Charge us $60 if need be. Just give us something dependable with in house support, or get Sound Tower to generate a decent plugin on par with the DSI editors.

I am planning on buying a Voyager RME and DSI 08 Prophet in the next year, I hope by then there are some better editing solutions for both the SP and Voyager.

BTW good job on the Minitaur Rev2 release, I find it to be much more stable then the previous and the additional feature set is appreciated.
Hear, hear...

+Infinity
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

kingnimrod

Post by kingnimrod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Amen!

I just bought the Rekon VST editor, only to find out that it is really buggy. Not very happy. Just doesn't work right for me at all.

Plus, the developer told me that it flat out won't work with the Phatty via USB, and I didn't get any indication that it's an issue Rekon is trying to solve.

Who did the Minitaur editor?

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm

On a side note it looks like Sound Tower has come out with a decent Voyager plugin on par with the DSI editors:

http://www.soundtower.com/plugse/voyager/

This or a Minitaur Rev 2 equivalent is what is needed for the SP.

jimmyklane

Post by jimmyklane » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 pm

+1!
Synths: Source, Slim Phatty, Virus TI, Alpha Juno, Polysix, Monotribe, Blofeld, lots of software that I don't use often..
Effects: ADA S1000, SONY HR MP5, EVENTIDE H3000/H9, YAMAHA SPX90/

mrfett

Post by mrfett » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:32 pm

yes please