Am I too stupid? :-)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
SteveModana

Am I too stupid? :-)

Post by SteveModana » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:38 am

Hello forum members, my name is Steve and I'm new on this forum. I own a Moog Voyager RME since summer 2012. There's one thing I can't figure out. My Shaping option in the modbusses seem not to work properly, or I simply don't get it right :)

I want to control the Volume of OSC1 through the velocity. Simple as that. So I set the RME as following:

in (P)edal BUS:
Source: ON
Destination: LFO/PGM
Shaping: Velocity
Amount: 5 (half way up)

in the Edit Menu:
PGM Pegal Dest.: OSC. 1 LEVEL

This doesn't have the desired effect. Nothing happens depending on velocity. What's wrong?

Thanks for your answers :)
Steve
Moog One, Moog Voyager RME, SEQ Prophet 10, DSI Poly Evolver PE, Behringer Neutron+Pro-1, Access Virus TI Polar, iMac i9, UAD Apollos, www.begemo.com

stiiiiiiive

Re: Am I too stupid? :-)

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am

Ah no.

MY name is Steve :P

I was about to state that you cannot modulate the osc1 only volume, but I only know the Voyager Old School and it seems this is a menu hidden modulation option. So...

... it's just a welcome then :)

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Good question, SteveModana!

I think I have your answer: in your patch, there is no difference because you are using On/Mod 2 as a source without anything going to mod 2. Velocity is used to shape this source, meaning that it will add to the offset of the source control voltage. If the source is just set to on (aka +5V) then there is nothing to add that will change the volume. Try setting the source to the LFO, and you should be able to hear a difference in the modulation depth depending on keyboard velocity.

To get the results that you probably want, use Pot Mapping and Map velocity to volume. Make sure to set the amount high enough that you can hear a difference!

Welcome to the forums! I think that you will find a lot of useful info here!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Remember that your amount pot is summed with the keyboard voltage. Make sure also that the Osc 1 amount knob is set at about halfway or so...play around with that and increase the amount and see if that makes a difference.

Edit:
Did I just echo tommyecho?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 pm

EricK wrote:
Edit:
Did I just echo tommyecho?
. . . echo . . . echo . . . echo

:|
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

SteveModana

Post by SteveModana » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Hello guys, thanks first of all for ur welcome :-)

So I've tried your advices and did some further things with shaping and it really seems as it has a very small range of effecting the sound. Eg I modulated the pitch by the lfo as a simple vibrato and tried to control the amount through the velocity by switching the shaping to velo.

The modulation difference between vel1 and vel127 notes is quite small, and even feels smaller while playing live. To me the shaping is only a little spice applying inherent behaviour to a sound.

To have really deep control in my velo-vibrato example, one has to do it via pot mapping. This ways it works awesome. But how could u apply heavy shaping through an envelope, eg filter env, to a modulation? I like applying a fade-in to a vibrato (to keep it simple).

Thats seems to be not possible, if you want it really go from no vibrato to craziness:-) or any advice to get more effect through shaping?

Thanks a lot ::)
Steve
Moog One, Moog Voyager RME, SEQ Prophet 10, DSI Poly Evolver PE, Behringer Neutron+Pro-1, Access Virus TI Polar, iMac i9, UAD Apollos, www.begemo.com

Tonebox

Post by Tonebox » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Gotta admit, I'm feeling stupid with my RME and the "delayed" vibrato thing! :?:

I've got the vibrato sounding right with triangle as the source, pitch as the destination, on/prg and amount of 15 or so. Sounds great fading the amount in with the mod wheel, and all I want to do is delay and/or fade-in the amount over time, not having to use the mod wheel. I've tried all kinds of pot mappings, using the pedal buss, envelope control...would be mega-useful to me!

Thanks all for your time and consideration :D