prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
SSquirrel

Re: prototype

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 am

Also is it just me or does the idea of using a Minibrute as a controller into a mult (CP-251 maybe), split out to a Minitaur and a Sub-Phatty w/the pitch adjusted to make a nice chord w/every note sound like a fun idea? Sub-Phatty+Minitaur+Minibrute may not blend perfectly, but that is honestly part of the fun for me. Now, to get everything besides the Minitaur :)

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 am

anybody complaining about MONOPHONIC should go and read Kenneth's comments about learning to use a synthesizer!
Then read it again ~TWICE or how many ever times it takes to sink in :)

PS: If you REALLY want a polyphonic Moog it is actually the cheapest one available: ANIMOOG
GovernorSilver wrote:
kidgloves2 wrote:This is the first time I ever saw so much disapproval in a new Moog product!
I see the same amount of disapproval for every new Moog product, dating to the introduction of the original Voyager. :lol:

"WTF?!?!? A new MONOPHONIC instrument in the year TWO THOUSAND TWO AD???"

:lol:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 am

GovernorSilver wrote:
kidgloves2 wrote:This is the first time I ever saw so much disapproval in a new Moog product!
I see the same amount of disapproval for every new Moog product, dating to the introduction of the original Voyager. :lol:

Some of the negative vibes stem from the fact that there are a large number of members of this forum who have been here for years, have acquired most of the product line and have asked en masse for certain products. Sometimes Moog delivers, sometimes they don't. Moog has a history of being receptive to musicians' needs and requests.

For instance, (and I'm not taking credit for this) I posted a thread titled "What is next for the Etherwave now that the Pro is discontinued?" In that thread was a poll for new features. CV outs was the most chosen one, and soon after, they released the Plus modification.

Other people have asked for a set of Taurus pedals, or chorus/flange pedal and they got it. People asked for years for a more affordable synth and Bob delivered us the Little Phatty.

There are holes in the product line. Holes such as an Envelope generator VCA combo that would turn their Moogerfooger line into a totally independent synthesizer. A polyphonic synth (which the entire synth world would bow down to) is one of the most requested and anticipated. But then Moog does oddball stuff like releasing a guitar and following that with a lap steel and this barely promoted Lev-96 contraption. With a flourishing modular synth community, there have been numerous people asking for Moog to make modules. Moog is silent on the issue but teases us with their 500 series line of modules. Some people have requested that they rebuild a Prodigy and this Sub Phatty may very well be the best substitute.

If we don't offer feedback, what are they going to do other than take a huge gamble on a product that has the potential to flop?

Don't take this as Moog bashing. We all love Moog, we want them to thrive. Mike Adams has kept them in the positive during the worst crisis since the great depression. Most of us realize just how small a company Moog actually is despite their highly romanticized worldwide reputation.

The sub Phatty looks cool. I would have used a rotary octave switch instead of a button though.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 am

EricK wrote:
If we don't offer feedback, what are they going to do other than take a huge gamble on a product that has the potential to flop?
TOUCHÉ

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 am

EricK wrote:
For instance, (and I'm not taking credit for this) I posted a thread titled "What is next for the Etherwave now that the Pro is discontinued?" In that thread was a poll for new features. CV outs was the most chosen one, and soon after, they released the Plus modification.
Or when I suggested they build 500 series modules. (I will take credit for that).

eXode

Post by eXode » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 am

Here are some of my thoughts re the Sub Phatty

Imho, the Sub Phatty is not aimed at someone already owning a Moog synthesizer, at least not first hand. If you look at the bigger picture, Moog is aiming at a wider market. I think the Sub Phatty is fantastic as it's the cheapest Moog with a keyboard (ever?) and as a non Moog synth owner, this product is extremely appealing for me.

Imho, the Slim/Little Phatty was interesting but I felt that the interface was too limiting for a monophonic synthesizer, the Sub Phatty, imho ticks all the boxes control wise for how a solo/performance instrument should be made. On a similar topic, the Minitaur was also very appealing but it's "bass" limitation put me off it.

I think Moog have a fantastic legacy of monohponic performance instruments, and with the Sub Phatty that legacy is being made available to a wider market than ever before. Thank you Bob, for your legacy, and thank you Moog Music for carrying on that legacy.

Kind regards,

/Daniel Thiel

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

unfiltered37 wrote:
EricK wrote:
Or when I suggested they build 500 series modules. (I will take credit for that).
TOUCHÉ

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

JohnLRice wrote:hhhmm, It's just not doing anythig for me, although maybe I'm not the target buyer for it? I actually liked to look of the prototype a LOT better before they get the case around it. And the demos I've heard so far sound thin and nasal. Maybe it's just me?

This video didn't really help my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPjRyZ6r-o

I haven't tried either but so far it looks like the MiniBrute is a much better buy than the Sub Phatty IMHO (based only on demo sounds, specs and price)
This video is a joke. They should have watched before posting it. She seems nice but clearly knows nothing about playing synths. She will describe a feature and turn a knob and nothing or the complete opposite happens "on board we have a sub oscillator to add punch to your bass and a noise source which is a mixture of white and pink (turns knobs presses keys and nothing happens....quick cut away)
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm

misterpete wrote:anybody complaining about MONOPHONIC should go and read Kenneth's comments about learning to use a synthesizer!
Then read it again ~TWICE or how many ever times it takes to sink in :)

PS: If you REALLY want a polyphonic Moog it is actually the cheapest one available: ANIMOOG
GovernorSilver wrote:

misterpete,

Vouz avez mal compris!

I was paraphrasing the typical reaction when the Moog Voyager was introduced to the market in the year 2002. People have been complaining about Moog products ever since.

I own a Voyager, mon ami. That should tell you how I really feel about Moog synths.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Come on, CF, be nice to Linda, she's a nice lady. :)

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 am

EricK wrote:Come on, CF, be nice to Linda, she's a nice lady. :)
I know I believe I spoke with her on the phone once. She was very nice but I think they should have let her narrate and have who ever was doing the tweaking and playing in the close up shots do the whole video. Or at least let her spend more time with it before hand.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 am

Yeah.....that teleprompter script was highly questionable.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

This is sooo exciting!! The thing sounds absolutely huge! Love the aggressive in-your-face-sound. And this is coming from a EB Voyager owner.

And ill tell you the reason why this is exciting (to me at least). The fact that they have improved the oscillators means that at some point in the future, Moog is bound to make an updated version of the Voyager with all these new features (new oscs, multidrive etc.)

How effin cool is that?!

I cant wait to try one out, the phatty didnt excite me, the minitaur didnt either but this thing definitely did get my adrenaline going.

Well done MOOG!
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 am

JohnLRice wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:hhhmm, It's just not doing anythig for me, although maybe I'm not the target buyer for it? I actually liked to look of the prototype a LOT better before they get the case around it. And the demos I've heard so far sound thin and nasal. Maybe it's just me?

I haven't tried either but so far it looks like the MiniBrute is a much better buy than the Sub Phatty IMHO (based only on demo sounds, specs and price)
Thin and nasal? Yeah, pretty sure that's just you. Definitely has the Moog sound. It may be the multidrive that is confusing you. The thing sounds incredible, I just can't justify the cost. If I didn't own a Voyager it would be a different story.
I am a little more favorable towards it after hearing the Sweetwater demo! I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear one in person and maybe play with it (I'll be at NAMM this week!)
Yup, sounded darn nice at NAMM on some headphones. I was able to dial in some rich deeps sounds! 8)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 am

JohnLRice wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Kenneth wrote:

Thin and nasal? Yeah, pretty sure that's just you. Definitely has the Moog sound. It may be the multidrive that is confusing you. The thing sounds incredible, I just can't justify the cost. If I didn't own a Voyager it would be a different story.
I am a little more favorable towards it after hearing the Sweetwater demo! I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear one in person and maybe play with it (I'll be at NAMM this week!)
Yup, sounded darn nice at NAMM on some headphones. I was able to dial in some rich deeps sounds! 8)
AAHHH YOU PLAYED IT!? Infinitely jealous. I am seriously considering buying one, even though I really don't need one. I'm getting caught up in the craze.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30