prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
unfiltered37

Re: prototype

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

I think it's at least unique, and way, way more attractive and better sounding than the minibrute. It has a rawer sound than another other modern moog synths, almost like the doepfer stuff. Maybe that's just the overdrive I'm hearing but that does sound better than the phatty OD to me.

I am glad that Moog has not succumbed to the pressure of making a poly, they could easily make one, but I think the tradition of the company and Bob's legacy is too strong. I think that the Moog name is largely rooted in the monophonic concept (second only to the filter) and that makes them a unique instrument maker rather than just an electronics company.
I like the fact that monosynths are still going strong in the era of infinite softsynth voices and unlimited tracks.

I don't really like the number of keys, but then again, I doubt anyone is going to use this as their main synth, so it's probably sufficient. A footswitch for changing octave would be nice though.

Also, whatever happened to pink noise? I have found that it is one of the most important features on the model D (in small amounts as a modulator) for me.

I guess you could argue about features all day, but the sound is there at least.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm

I agree with unfiltered37 on noise, if Moog wanted to offer it as a sound source, why not offer white, pink and brown ? It's very easy, electronically, to do. It doesn't have to be mathematically perfect, just make it available.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Looks like some questions are answered. The filter poles are selectable, either via a combination of the preset buttons, or via MIDI CC. So I would guess the fully editable presets would be able to save the filter pole settings. So bank 1, presets 1-4 could be saved as filter pole 1-4, and use the front panel from there.
And there may be a few more "under the hood" settings too, like mod routings, pitchbend ammount and such.
The only thing the Sub is missing is the Prodigy, Rogue, MG-1, 2 1/2 octave keyboard. Missed it by 7 keys!

unfiltered37 wrote: Also, whatever happened to pink noise? I have found that it is one of the most important features on the model D (in small amounts as a modulator) for me.
The Mini actually has 3 different flavors of noise, white, pink and red. White and pink available in the mixer section. But routed to the modmixer, when white is selected the source is pink noise. When pink is selected the red noise is routed to the modmixer. The Red noise is my favorite and seems unique to the Mini. The white noise on the Moog 903 as a mod source, just does not get the same effect as that red noise on the Mini.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

hhhmm, It's just not doing anythig for me, although maybe I'm not the target buyer for it? I actually liked to look of the prototype a LOT better before they get the case around it. And the demos I've heard so far sound thin and nasal. Maybe it's just me?

This video didn't really help my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPjRyZ6r-o

I haven't tried either but so far it looks like the MiniBrute is a much better buy than the Sub Phatty IMHO (based only on demo sounds, specs and price)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

This is the first time I ever saw so much disapproval in a new Moog product! You guys should check out the Sweetwater demo, it's great.

I myself would love a rack/module version.

My only fear is that since so many people dislike it, the company will take a bad hit. Let's hope it sells.

How about some positive opinions?

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

JohnLRice wrote:hhhmm, It's just not doing anythig for me, although maybe I'm not the target buyer for it? I actually liked to look of the prototype a LOT better before they get the case around it. And the demos I've heard so far sound thin and nasal. Maybe it's just me?

I haven't tried either but so far it looks like the MiniBrute is a much better buy than the Sub Phatty IMHO (based only on demo sounds, specs and price)
Thin and nasal? Yeah, pretty sure that's just you. Definitely has the Moog sound. It may be the multidrive that is confusing you. The thing sounds incredible, I just can't justify the cost. If I didn't own a Voyager it would be a different story.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:27 pm

kidgloves2 wrote:...How about some positive opinions?
Okay. On the positive side we have: the selectable number of filter poles is a nice touch. So is the ability to choose between different glide types. And the front panel layout is straightforward and clear. The sound quality seems pretty much there , too!

BTW: Daniel made a small mistake in the video by mentioning, erroneously, that the pitch bend range covers 24 octaves. He probably meant 2 octaves (in 24 steps).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

If there is any redeeming feature of the SP, it has a nastier sound hard sync than the Voyager or LP. And as a bonus you can route filter EG to the hard sync'd VCO, just like the Rogue 8)
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm

The Sub Phatty does great bass sounds from what I hear. Does it steal the Minitaur's thunder?

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 pm

CZ Rider wrote: The Mini actually has 3 different flavors of noise, white, pink and red. White and pink available in the mixer section. But routed to the modmixer, when white is selected the source is pink noise. When pink is selected the red noise is routed to the modmixer. The Red noise is my favorite and seems unique to the Mini. The white noise on the Moog 903 as a mod source, just does not get the same effect as that red noise on the Mini.

It's the red noise that I've been using? Didn't know that. I use the pink switch setting when modulating the oscillator very slightly, barely audible to 25% full on almost every patch to soften the high end. Most musical noise I have heard.

filtered

Post by filtered » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm

If there is any redeeming feature of the SP, it has a nastier sound hard sync than the Voyager or LP. And as a bonus you can route filter EG to the hard sync'd VCO, just like the Rogue
Yes! I think it sounds VERY Rogueish, but with more character in the Oscs, as in, I can hear square vs saw, etc. better- I'm giving it a big PLUS from me!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm

kidgloves2 wrote:This is the first time I ever saw so much disapproval in a new Moog product!
I see the same amount of disapproval for every new Moog product, dating to the introduction of the original Voyager. :lol:

"WTF?!?!? A new MONOPHONIC instrument in the year TWO THOUSAND TWO AD???"

:lol:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Kenneth wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:hhhmm, It's just not doing anythig for me, although maybe I'm not the target buyer for it? I actually liked to look of the prototype a LOT better before they get the case around it. And the demos I've heard so far sound thin and nasal. Maybe it's just me?

Thin and nasal? Yeah, pretty sure that's just you. Definitely has the Moog sound. It may be the multidrive that is confusing you. The thing sounds incredible, I just can't justify the cost. If I didn't own a Voyager it would be a different story.
I am a little more favorable towards it after hearing the Sweetwater demo! I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to hear one in person and maybe play with it (I'll be at NAMM this week!)
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Someone will have probably hit these posts by now, but I'm way back and trying to catch up :)

misterpete wrote:There's always been a lot of women in electronic music *SNIP*
Sci-Fi geeks will also remember Delia Derbyshire. I'm not even a Dr Who fan and I know that one :)
~Sinedrifter~ wrote: (Didn't joy division / new order also have a girl on synths back in the day?) Cocteau twins too.
Gillian Gilbert and Liz Fraser respectively. Liz's voice is on freaking EVERYTHING too. Orbital, FSOL, Massive Attack, you name it, she's probably provided some vox at some point or another.

mico

Post by mico » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 am

So it appears the noise generator (for the Sub Phatty) is using a mixture of white and pink noise. Stellar. (ref. Kraft demo)
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty