Two stable oscillators
A suboscillator
Noise generator
Twin ADSRs envelope generators
Multidrive circuit
Traditional Moog VCF
25-note keyboard
Pitch bend & mod wheels

Official specs are expected to be announced at the NAMM Show.
Sounds just like the phatty minus the arp. Nothing very innovative or different. Perhaps it will just be cheaper so more folks can jump into the moog domain??

So far, namm looks like its going to blow this year.

GovernorSilver

Re: The new moog Sub Phatty ??

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

No CV outputs too from what I can see of the specs, but if there's a CV out mod for the Little Phatty, I would expect a CV out mod to be available for the Sub Phatty.

There's a long thread on the general forum on this thing under the title "prototype", lol.

To me it's kind of like a Little Phatty Old School - one knob per function, no menus, no LCD display, etc. except like the Minitaur there will be hidden MIDI functionality. While I'm happy with my Voyager PE, I do like the one knob per function idea (no menus, no menu-diving).

The sub oscillator looks new to me and seems to lend a Taurus-like deepness to the bass.

Would I get it? Probably not right away. If I get another analog synth it will most likely be the Elektron Analog Four.

n2design

Post by n2design » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:51 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:No CV outputs too from what I can see of the specs, but if there's a CV out mod for the Little Phatty, I would expect a CV out mod to be available for the Sub Phatty.

There's a long thread on the general forum on this thing under the title "prototype", lol.

To me it's kind of like a Little Phatty Old School - one knob per function, no menus, no LCD display, etc. except like the Minitaur there will be hidden MIDI functionality. While I'm happy with my Voyager PE, I do like the one knob per function idea (no menus, no menu-diving).

The sub oscillator looks new to me and seems to lend a Taurus-like deepness to the bass.

Would I get it? Probably not right away. If I get another analog synth it will most likely be the Elektron Analog Four.
The analog four is pretty nice, but I hate how it doesn't have unique outputs for each of the 4 voices.

Recording a mix with destructive effects kind of sucks. What sounds good in standalone mode might not jive when other tracks are mixed in the DAW.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm

This discussion shouldn't really be happening in the Voyager forum...
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16702
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Yeah, I've been keeping up with A4 issues as people report them on the elektron-users forum. However, the benefits seem to outweigh the disadvantages of using an A4 in my book. I'd probably let the A4 "play itself" using its own sequencer rather than attempt to play it from the Voyager keyboard, and use its CV output(s) to modulate the Voyager through a CV input while I play the Voyager manually.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm

The A4; good sound quality, good intentions, bad implementation, and awful human interface. Too small a display, too many multi functions knobs. And what? You can't even use the 4 voices together to play chords ?
What the hell is that ?

I'll pass...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Alain, not to be against for the sake of it, but have you ever played an Elektron instrument? Except the Octatrack which is especiallydeep, they are really live oriented and everything makes sense. Actually, the interface and sequencer implementation alone is the great strenght of their boxes.

I've been a MachineDrum UW user for seome years now, and it's one of these instruments I feel like in my sneakers with.

As far as the A4 polyphony, I predict Elektron will wome out with something one day soon.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Stiiiiiiive, have you seen the interview/demo by SonicState ? If so, have you noticed the infinite and complex moves done by Jenk, of Elektron, to adjust the parameters ? Not to mention the constant pushing of the encoders to switch from pages to pages in the 2 lines menus !

Encoders, too close together, that you need to touch repeatedly 10 times over to go from one end to the other of the range of a parameter ? What the hell was that ? Didn't Elektron ever heard of progressive acceleration of encoders ?

Jenk looked like a madman trying to change things in real time with those encoders... He made more noise with the plastic knobs and switches than the synth itself ! :lol:

Here's the link to that video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1NiOaWIHU
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Every product has its pros and cons. It's up to the musician to do the homework and keep abreast of issues/concerns as well as the useful features.

The majority of A4 users seem to enjoy this particular product and make music with it productively, regardless of the various faults its critics may find.

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

"Shipping March 2013"

Well that holds true to NAMM - Not Available Maybe March :D
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

MC wrote:A buddy sent me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kiqQpiVjE

Hey, it's _DemonDan_ !

Sounds really "meaty", I must admit.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

n2design

Post by n2design » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Alien is pretty much spot on. The only reason I didn't return mine is because I like the sequencer, and the ability to sequence CV.

Everything else is just kind of a bonus and outside the scope of my expectations.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm

"Every couple of days they send me a new operating system."

Let's hope they get that worked out before they ship.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

@ Daniel can the filter poles be changed via the active panel or do you need to hook it up to a computer to access this?

The only thing that appears to be lacking (for me anyway ) is cv outs. Do you know if that Is that in the Subs future?