new Moog --death to the LP

Everything Phatty.
synthaxe

Re: new Moog --death to the LP

Post by synthaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Also, there has been no word whatsoever of the LP or SP being discontinued. As of right now, the Sub is just another addition to the Phatty family.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 pm

...since fitting a CV BreakOut Box for the Slim has been a problem ~ I'm wondering if Mr.SUB could be a way to bring that functionality to the table? ~ Exciting times! Gosh Namm it! We shall see! We shall see! :lol:
synthaxe wrote:Also, there has been no word whatsoever of the LP or SP being discontinued. As of right now, the Sub is just another addition to the Phatty family.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Is anyone else thinking that is just a bass synth. In the little demo it's only lower notes we hear. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not thinking that a LP old school is in the works.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Bob NAMM it!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm

slabwax wrote:Is anyone else thinking that is just a bass synth. In the little demo it's only lower notes we hear. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not thinking that a LP old school is in the works.
I, too, am thinking bass synth. It appears in the video to only have a 25 key keyboard. This would suggest a limited frequency range, and seeing as how the demo only shows the lower registers being played, I'd say that yes, this will be strictly a bass synth.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

filtered

Post by filtered » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 pm

I'd say that yes, this will be strictly a bass synth
I hope not! That seems like alot of features (noise, 2 oscs, overdrive) for just basslines! we'll see soon enough-

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 pm

What in the heck is the matter with you people? Why in tarnation would Moog put out another bass synth? WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT??? There is literally no reason to think it is anything other than a Phatty! It's in the name, dadgummit! If it was a bass synth, it would be called something-TAUR, but it ISN'T! JEEZUS!
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Kenneth wrote:What in the heck is the matter with you people? Why in tarnation would Moog put out another bass synth? WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT??? There is literally no reason to think it is anything other than a Phatty! It's in the name, dadgummit! If it was a bass synth, it would be called something-TAUR, but it ISN'T! JEEZUS!

One part of me concurs with you. But after watching the video a few more times causes me think otherwise. Could the smaller keyboard be just for mock up? Why no higher pitches in the video? Is Moog just messing with us?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Kenneth wrote:What in the heck is the matter with you people? Why in tarnation would Moog put out another bass synth? WHY WOULD YOU THINK THAT??? There is literally no reason to think it is anything other than a Phatty! It's in the name, dadgummit! If it was a bass synth, it would be called something-TAUR, but it ISN'T! JEEZUS!
A Phatty should have more than 25 keys. Most synths with 25 keys are bass synths. Until I hear some searing leads from this synth, I am labeling this "thing" a bass synth.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 am

We have worked out together most likely and best name for marketing purposes will be "Sub Phatty"
Lets design a case for it
I would like to see a move away from the Little Phatty type case to a more traditional Voyager type case
I vote for mini voyager type case --should be almost the same price to do as regular Phatty case and would be much nicer

Failing that I would like a mostly metal case exactly like an MS-20

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 am

Voltor07 wrote:
A Phatty should have more than 25 keys. Most synths with 25 keys are bass synths. Until I hear some searing leads from this synth, I am labeling this "thing" a bass synth.
Uhm, Minibrute? That's the only modern analog synth with 25 keys. Not a bass synth.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

The comment in the video about how quickly the OSCs are stable leads me to believe this new synth is built off the taurus engine. Did they tweak it for more range or not remains to be seen? They definitely added more features.

I wonder if the sub OSC will be properly phase locked. And will there be any other waveforms other than square for it.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Here is a pic
http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?l ... _id=252630

RRP $999

No way is it just a bass synth like the Minitaur- thats not going to happen -I think we will see an Editor and maybe patch memory (ref Minitaur V2 as a good example)
plus one to Moog --got to be their best synth since the Voyager
Nothing is going to compete with this in that price range
awesome!!!!!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 pm

^
Nice pic adds a lot of clarity. I was way off base. Doh't.

Looks like fully variable waveforms like the phatty's.

I like my LP a lot. But, I am sick of presets and menus. Can't wait to see what it has to offer. I am getting a bit of quick onset GAS.

An extra half an octave would have added a lot of playability, but oh well. I often like to use the fine tune knob to change keys anyway. The shorter length will be helpful integrating it in my setup. I hope they went with a better feeling keybed then the LP stage line.

I like the big fat cutoff knob.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 pm

If McBeth made something like this it would be $2000 easy
who knows the editor may have an arp and step sequencer and other hidden features as icing on the cake
No other manufactor will come anywhere close at Namm 2013 to bring out a quality instrument at the $999 price tag that is built like a tank and will last for decades
I think I need to lie down!!!
They are shipping end of February--I preordered one already-