prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
~Sinedrifter~

Re: prototype

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Nice job, EricK. :mrgreen: Did you do that on your computer? Hell, how do you design something like that in software?

BTW, I predict the pricepoint will be $899.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 am

I just think it's cool to see Herb demo the thing :D You can see the passion he has for analogue :D So cool :D

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:45 am

EricK wrote:This may very well be spot on if you compare it to the video.
Does the name on the right say "Moog Multidrive"? Coincidence? Damn.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 am

I didn't do that rendering. It was already posted on this forum, linked to another forum. Yeah it does say Multidrive Moog. Looking at the video, it looks like the PCB reads that the lower envelope row was VCF and on this it it is reversed.

THat picture was also not the one I pasted. It switched angles.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

eXode

Post by eXode » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

There's one thing that is different and that is two knobs in the top are which in this image are called shape dest and waveform. On the Herb video those are switches and not knobs. Also if you consider the layout of i.e. the Voyager Rack, the oscillators are actually aligned vertically and not horizontally. Fwiw. :)

I'm looking forwad to seeing a final design and specs, hopefully at NAMM.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 pm

filtered wrote:I wonder... Midi? If so, I'll sell my Minibrute right now for one of these...
If I had a Minibrute already, I'd make sure that this new Moog can send and receive CV with proper 1.00000 V/octave before making any move on the Minibrute.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
filtered wrote:I wonder... Midi? If so, I'll sell my Minibrute right now for one of these...
If I had a Minibrute already, I'd make sure that this new Moog can send and receive CV with proper 1.00000 V/octave before making any move on the Minibrute.
Good point.

Oh, and better wait until the final price of this thing is announced, too... :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 pm

There's some unintentionally funny guy on Gearslutz who's convinced that he can see a hard drive in the video and that this new synth is VA. :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm

I predict the price will be around $1300-1400US. I say this because its so similar to a LP but with added features.

Its more knobby (more expensive)
Has a Sub Oscillator (more circuitry = more expensive)
Has a Noise Source as a sound source (more circuitry = more expensive, even if its a digital noise)
Inputs: Looks like it has similar CV inputs as the LP
If we go on the assumption that it doesnt have midi or patch memory (cost savings) i see it being roughly the same cost as a LP. Maybe a little more expensive.

based on the other instruments moog makes, I really dont see this thing being cheaper than 1k...

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Mr Shave wrote:I predict the price will be around $1300-1400US. I say this because its so similar to a LP but with added features.

Its more knobby (more expensive)
Has a Sub Oscillator (more circuitry = more expensive)
Has a Noise Source as a sound source (more circuitry = more expensive, even if its a digital noise)
Inputs: Looks like it has similar CV inputs as the LP
If we go on the assumption that it doesnt have midi or patch memory (cost savings) i see it being roughly the same cost as a LP. Maybe a little more expensive.

based on the other instruments moog makes, I really dont see this thing being cheaper than 1k...
But it will lack such frills like the Ring LED's (or any LED's for that matter). It will have a smaller keybed. The biggest savings will be the lack of an OS. I doubt it will be MIDI-less, but adding MIDI is fairly inexpensive. So is the circuitry needed for a Sub-Osc & Noise Source. These are common circuits that can be built with common parts. I'm sticking by the $850-900 price range.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Knobs are a cost, about a buck or two each but obviously, it's the circuitry around them that cost the money not to mention assembly.
Sub Osc and Noise costs near nothing; it's about $20 in parts for each and just another source into the mixer plus the switch if done with analog circuitry
Patch memory won't cost anything either because the memory present in the microcontroller that they are likely using is plenty large for 100 patches x 400 bytes or so. And it won't be an ALL analog box; with the Ring mod and Low pass being the most simple of Foogers, MurF, Delay, Flux all leverage a microcontroller. It's going to cost much more in circuitry to do what you can do within a CPU in pure hardware. I think the Old School was the LAST all analog synth that will ever be produced. It was only because of the traditional layout of the Analog board (aka, THE board) that it lended itself to this being a possibility.

But you are right, I can't see it being cheaper than $1k unless it comes on a plywood base with no casing as depicted. The design and machining of all of the panels and subassembly, parts that they do not make (like keybed) surely add up if quality components are used... and they should be.

I agree with your predicted price. A super nice price will be $1,199; best for Moog to look to make it up in 'volume' (get it.. : )

But seriously, I think they learned alot with the Minitaur; mine serial number is well above 2000 and I've had it for a good 6 months so they are likely well into high 3,000s now. I think it took Phatty a number of years to hit these numbers.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Not to cast a spell on this, but if the goal of Moog Music is to go against the very popular Minibrute, they should set the price in the same range ($500-$700) ... Otherwise, this thing better offer more than just a "Multidrive" ladder filter, a sub, and white noise for more than $1K ...

Admittedly, the Minibrute does pack quite a punch for only $500... So does the Minitaur, at a slightly higher price point around $600, but it lacks a keyboard, wheels, arpeggiator, second lfo, multi-mode filter, and is mainly designed for bass notes.

Maybe that's why Moog wants to offer something like a Little Phatty Old School ?

Let's see the final full specs of this prototype before speculating on the MSRP price ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Several years ago I posted on here that i thought it would be a good idea for Moog to release a Phatty old school. Everyone basically shot me down, saying it was pointless and stupid. Look...
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

remember too that a reason the Minibrute is so cheap is because it is made in China. that surely keeps the cost down, while perhaps increasing the probability that it will be less reliable than something made in a Moog factory by hand. :)

Not to mention that every time we buy a new Moog, part of that price goes to paying for ready access to personalized customer service and other intangibles that some mass producers (i.e. Novation, Alesis) do not provide. So, it would be unreasonable for Moog to price a new synth to compete with the Minibrute since it, as a company, has extra expenses that help make it the brand we know and love, and they need to cover their costs at point of sale. It would be like Ferrari pricing its newest car to compete with a Mitsubishi Eclipse : both are fantastic machines and lots of fun to use, but it would hurt Ferrari to release a cheap model just to compete directly with Mitsubishi. Right now, I think Moog is doing this correctly (although I wish they had been ready to announce a poly instead of yet another mono). :wink:

I think, considering the price of the Slim Phatty, LP, Minitaur, and Voyager RME, I'm guessing it will cost $999 (I originally thought $899). The keys alone - at apparently only two octaves judging by the one Mr. Deutsch used in the video - will add a couple of hundred bucks to the price over the MT, plus the components this thing has that the MT doesn't will add maybe another hundred or two. Who knows if the Minibrute will have more features in the end, but it's not a Moog, and therefore will be priced at a completely different level.

Hopefully one of you will buy it when it comes out and posts videos on youtube. :mrgreen:

muksys

Post by muksys » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 pm

The Moob FB cover photo reveals "Sub-Phatty". Basically, a sup'ed up Minitaur with a keyboard. Pass.