calibration woes

Everything Phatty.
seank

calibration woes

Post by seank » Tue May 24, 2011 2:19 pm

i'm having trouble keeping my slim phatty in tune. more specifically, osc2. first off, yes it's at a stable temperature and yes it's got an isolated power supply. when i run the full calibration after letting it warm up for a bit (note first, then osc2, the pw) it sings, perfectly in tune (tested with a tuner). if i turn it off and then turn it on later, even after warming up for 15 minutes or longer, osc2 is way out of tune.

i'm testing this with multiple patches including the calibration patch. i've also tested it with auto-tune on and off. same results.womp womp.

i had a little phatty before and it never had tuning issues like this. solid as a rock. am i doing something wrong?

jimmyklane

Re: calibration woes

Post by jimmyklane » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 pm

EXACTLY the same here....

Anybody?
Somebody?
Synths: Source, Slim Phatty, Virus TI, Alpha Juno, Polysix, Monotribe, Blofeld, lots of software that I don't use often..
Effects: ADA S1000, SONY HR MP5, EVENTIDE H3000/H9, YAMAHA SPX90/

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:45 pm

No bleep, I've heard 45-50min till stable tuning on OCS 2. I have an LP, but read it here many times from slim users.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Because the SP is so small compared to the LP, the power supply is close to the analog board, causing temperature drift as the power supply warms up. So you aren't just waiting for the oscs to warm up, you're waiting for the power supply to get to a stable temperature so the oscs can tune themselves.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 am

Exactly the reason why I sold mine last year and bought a second phatty (which I later sold to buy the Elektron Analog 4). I wanted to like the Slim, but its instability was a major liability in my workflow.

jimmyklane

Post by jimmyklane » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Well..... I've created a workaround..... I NEVER turn the slim phatty off. Since I wrote that post it's stayed on at all times, and stays tuned perfectly at -85 fine tune.... The ONLY issue I have now is that C#0 wobbles bad whilst every other key is the normal slight phasing (one beat cycle every 25-30 seconds).

Can anyone confirm my guess?: my calibration routine wrote that key incorrectly and now it will always be out of tune until I run the entire routine again.

I would like to know about constraining the calibration routine.... i.e., if I calibrate ONLY C#0 am I risking screwing it up worse, or is that worth a try in your opinion? Also, if someone from Moog can chime in, is leaving my SP on all the time bad for it, or merely wasting electricity?

Thanks!

-Jim
Synths: Source, Slim Phatty, Virus TI, Alpha Juno, Polysix, Monotribe, Blofeld, lots of software that I don't use often..
Effects: ADA S1000, SONY HR MP5, EVENTIDE H3000/H9, YAMAHA SPX90/

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Good question! I USED to that with my RME Fireface FW800, until I finally fried the original power supply out on it and had to have it replaced so I make sure it gets turned off. I usually turn my Slim on for about 30 minutes or so with other gear when I get in the studio before I really start using it just out of habit. Since doing that I haven't noticed any issues. The Taurus 3 surprised me the other day, it was so 'out' when I powered it on ~ but it only took about 5 minutes of warm up time to be stable
jimmyklane wrote:Well..... I've created a workaround..... I NEVER turn the slim phatty off. Since I wrote that post it's stayed on at all times, and stays tuned perfectly at -85 fine tune.... The ONLY issue I have now is that C#0 wobbles bad whilst every other key is the normal slight phasing (one beat cycle every 25-30 seconds).

Can anyone confirm my guess?: my calibration routine wrote that key incorrectly and now it will always be out of tune until I run the entire routine again.

I would like to know about constraining the calibration routine.... i.e., if I calibrate ONLY C#0 am I risking screwing it up worse, or is that worth a try in your opinion? Also, if someone from Moog can chime in, is leaving my SP on all the time bad for it, or merely wasting electricity?

Thanks!

-Jim
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D