Model D Minimoog Tuning Issue

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
jcoplin

Model D Minimoog Tuning Issue

Post by jcoplin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I just did a major overhaul on my Mini and now I have a weird problem. Everything works perfectly except I cannot tune the Mini to A440 correctly. I cannot get it to play A440 on the 16' setting, I have to go up to 8' to get a440. Basically, it is an octave too low and no combination of the trim pots will allow me to bring it up to tune. I have checked the supply voltages and everything there checks. I also checked the supply voltages at the oscillator card and they also all check out. This affects all three oscillators equally so I assume it would have to be something "global" to the tuning. Any ideas?

James R. Coplin

MC

Re: Model D Minimoog Tuning Issue

Post by MC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:05 pm

pitch wheel? master tune pot?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MC

Post by MC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:50 pm

rear panel PITCH CV input jack?
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:04 am

jcoplin wrote:I just did a major overhaul on my Mini and now I have a weird problem. Everything works perfectly except I cannot tune the Mini to A440 correctly. I cannot get it to play A440 on the 16' setting, I have to go up to 8' to get a440. Basically, it is an octave too low and no combination of the trim pots will allow me to bring it up to tune. I have checked the supply voltages and everything there checks. I also checked the supply voltages at the oscillator card and they also all check out. This affects all three oscillators equally so I assume it would have to be something "global" to the tuning. Any ideas?

James R. Coplin
My mini plays A440 (utilizing only osc 1 on a square wave with filter open and no resonance) on the 8' setting at the A key just above "middle" C. Is that what your mini is doing? If that's what's happening your mini is functioning normally.
Last edited by Electrong on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:07 am

Also, who performed the "major overhaul?" yourself? A qualified tech?

Secondly obviously a note at the 8' setting should give you the same tone at the 16' setting only played one octave higher (on the 16') setting. Nothing sounds out of ordinary though.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 am

My guess is the pitch wheel is in the wrong position in reference to its shaft.
If you performed a zero-detent mod on the pitch wheel, this could happen, especially if the wrong resistor was used internally or was never installed.

What exactly was done on the work performed?
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin