Fooger Fever... what to add next?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Stuka

Fooger Fever... what to add next?

Post by Stuka » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm looking ahead to start planning for my 3rd (and probably final) MoogerFooger (at some point I need to think about saving the funds for a Phatty!!)

For now, I'll primarily be using the gear wth my Minitaur and possibly my MG-1.
I have a MF-102 Ring Modulator and MF-105M MIDI MuRF, and already have the CP-251 on the "wish list".
Any suggestions for a 3rd Moogerfooger to fill the rack mount?

BTW,I REALLY like the stereo separation the MIDI MuRF provides, so I would be looking for a 3rd Moogerfooger that keeps / enhances that effect.
Suggestions would be appreciated!

Like I really needed another expensive hobby!! 8)

Thanks!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

_DemonDan_

Re: Fooger Fever... what to add next?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Stuka wrote:I'll primarily be using the gear wth my Minitaur and possibly my MG-1.
I have a MF-102 Ring Modulator and MF-105M MIDI MuRF, and already
have the CP-251 on the "wish list".Any suggestions for a 3rd
Moogerfooger to fill the rack mount?
If you're using sequenced bass lines, the FreqBox would definitely take you to
new places. It would also make an excellent source for your MIDI MuRF as it
works best when you give it lots of frequencies to play with.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 am

For a while I was using the 101, 102, and 105M. If your saving for a phatty I think the MF-101 comes in real handy. I love using it with the EP-2. IF your getting a CP-251 then an MF-107 is great as a third oscillator for the Little Phatty. Still I use my MF-101 all the time. I never have it off.

Stuka

Re: Fooger Fever... RACK MOUNT question...

Post by Stuka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 am

I appreciate the feedback -
Since my (current) plan is to eventually add one more fooger plus a CP-251, it looks like the MF-107 will probably be the one to add to the mix!

Question concerning rack-mounting ~
Does the Moog custom mount allow ready access to all the CV connections on the back panel of the Moogerfoogers?
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

You really might want to consider trying to find a 104z. I have seen them go in the 400 dollar range. They are the one Fooger that I wouldn't part with no matter what.

You may also want to consider looking for rack shelves on ebay rather than paying 100 bucks for them. THey used to sell for 65. They simply aren't worth dropping a C-note on.

Id really have to know if you were planning to use them with any other instruments or what style of music you were going to play before I could recommend one.

Also, have you considered getting started with a modular?
Stuka wrote:I'm looking ahead to start planning for my 3rd (and probably final) MoogerFooger
Heh, you are in deeper than you think.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:30 pm

I appreciate the feedback & ideas -
I'll start browsing Ebay and see what shows up on the radar.

Anything I do will be keyboard-based, using VST's and iPad apps to fill in the gaps for percussion, guitars. etc.
I'm strictly a hobbyist, and there's little chance anythig I do will wind up any further than a possible appearance on SoundCloud! :oops:

The sound I'm looking for is proboably best described somewhere along the lines of "New Age / Atmospheric / Pink Floyd'ish", if that helps!

I'll probably stick with the "semi-modular" approach of the current Moog line of equipment (along with an overhaul of my MG-1) ~
I'm also fairly heavily into the laser show scene, so I have more than enough never-ending money pit hobbies!!! :shock: 8)

Randy

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 am

I been playing with the Clusterflux for a week now and it is extremely inspiring. I sat and played guitar with it for hour's today very spacey and trance inspiring and I don't even play guitar really.
I have the midi delay and I can't say the same about it stand alone
though I like it combined with other Foogers and snagging feedback with the spill over witch the Z doe's not come with stock I believe, 679 buck's though Whew.
I like the Midi Murf as a close second and it is cheaper than the flux
make sure you get the midi Murf though as it has far more feature's than the other Murf's and come's with a free Vst controller.
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:34 pm

hooshirn wrote:I been playing with the Clusterflux for a week now and it is extremely inspiring. I sat and played guitar with it for hour's today very spacey and trance inspiring and I don't even play guitar really.
I have the midi delay and I can't say the same about it stand alone
though I like it combined with other Foogers and snagging feedback with the spill over witch the Z doe's not come with stock I believe, 679 buck's though Whew.
I like the Midi Murf as a close second and it is cheaper than the flux
make sure you get the midi Murf though as it has far more feature's than the other Murf's and come's with a free Vst controller.
Appreciate that feedback -
I definitely want something that wll play well with my MIDI MuRF.
The Clusterflux was really the first Moogerfooger I looked at in depth, and it has stayed in the back of my mind as a contender to "complete" my collection ~ althought something tells me fooger # 3 won't be the last one!! :shock: 8)

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 am

The Phaser is a good choice with it's stereo outs and will do great things with the RIngmod
I really liked running the delay through the murf, each delay panned...very nice.

You really need to just go ahead and get the CP251 despite the hole in your rack. Once you get it, you will know what I mean.

To answer your question, the Rack frame does allow patching, but if you mount it with other things in a rack, you need angled jacks because there isn't enough room. The whole Fooger racking thing is really dumb...take it from me, I have 5. Who would devote much effort to developing an effect that serves so well as a tabletop unit, only to make it in stompbox format and then make a rack shelf that restricts access to the jacks???

I wasn't really happy with the Cluster Flux. It didn't really suit my needs very much. It was awesome for modulating the audio signal, but I found it to introduce way too much noise to be musically useful for my purposes.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Dang -
Looks like I'll be selling my soul to Moog & Sweetwater in 2013.... :wink:

Great feedback guys - I do appreciate it!

Randy

Stuka

Re: Fooger Fever... RACK MOUNTING

Post by Stuka » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 pm

[quote="EricK"]...

To answer your question, the Rack frame does allow patching, but if you mount it with other things in a rack, you need angled jacks because there isn't enough room. The whole Fooger racking thing is really dumb...take it from me, I have 5. Who would devote much effort to developing an effect that serves so well as a tabletop unit, only to make it in stompbox format and then make a rack shelf that restricts access to the jacks???
...quote]

I was a bit concerned that might be the issue, but that is based purely on the online photos I have seen. Thanks for clarifying!

Does anyone here have a recommended "mod" to allow better access when using the Moog rack, or in lieu of that, a completetly different rack mounting method? I have very limited floor space to work with, so I'll be looking for a solution that works with a slant-panel rack, such as the Raxxess 12U over 8U models. I would still want to be able to mount 3 Moogerfoogers side-by-side.

Thanks!

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

This may not be the right solution for you, but consider a pedalboard. The Foogers can all be tied down to a single unit, with plenty of access to the jacks, and just because it's a board, does not mean it has to be on the floor. Just a suggestion.

David Smyth

Re: Fooger Fever... RACK MOUNTING

Post by David Smyth » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Stuka wrote:Does anyone here have a recommended "mod" to allow better access when using the Moog rack, or in lieu of that, a completetly different rack mounting method? I have very limited floor space to work with, so I'll be looking for a solution that works with a slant-panel rack, such as the Raxxess 12U over 8U models. I would still want to be able to mount 3 Moogerfoogers side-by-side.

Thanks!
Check out this recent idea of DemonDan's for improving access to the rear jacks, while still using the standard rackmount kit: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15867

David.
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

One rather unconventional way of accessing the jacks on the rear of the MoogerFoogers is to just sit them on your tabletop facing away from you. The jacks will be facing you and you just need to reorient yourself to tweaking knobs from the other way 'round. You can even make panel overlays which have the printing facing you.

Would have been great if Moog had seen their way clear to hinging the top rear corner of each MF pedal so that they could swing 90 degrees up and be on the same level as the faceplate...

Stephen

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am

Vsyevolod wrote: Would have been great if Moog had seen their way clear to hinging the top rear corner of each MF pedal so that they could swing 90 degrees up and be on the same level as the faceplate...
I wish these weren't intended to be stompboxes. They are designed to serve so well on the table yet insist they are placed on the floor. I really wish they would offer them in a module format.