Control FreqBox VCO with external keyboard. ADSR?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
nightfur

Control FreqBox VCO with external keyboard. ADSR?

Post by nightfur » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:28 am

Hi,

Has anyone found a way to control the attack/release of the Freq Box VCO? I've got mine hooked up through a midi/cv and am able to play the Freq Box's VCO pitch with my midi keyboard, but it has infinite release time. I've tried all sort of combinations without luck. I'd like to play the Freq Box as a very simple, single VCO synth instrument via keyboard.

thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Control FreqBox VCO with external keyboard. ADSR?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 am

Which output are you using?

If it's the main output, then you will have to set the mix at max and apply an audio input with the envelope you want to find at the output. This is because the oscilltaor volume is ruled by the output level of the envelope follower, which is fed with the input.

If it's the oscillator output, you will have to use an external device as an envelope.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am

If I'm not mistaken you can take the envelope follower circuit in addition to controling frequency via CV and taking from OSC out at the same time. In which case you can either play a keyboard with an amplitude envelope that you like patched into a VCA (disregarding the audio).

As you said, it just plays continuously, which is the normal behavior for a VCO. Normally, it's a gated VCA and VCF envelope that makes a note start/stop as you would expect.

There is another thread above which speaks to what the next fooger might be and what is 'missing', etc. Certainly VCA is among them.

Some of the MoogerFoogers don't let you access each 1/2 of the pedal in different ways (no way to split); I don't remember offhand if FreqBox is one of them. But the point is that Yes, you'll need to take the gate signal from your keyboard (I think you said that you are converting Midi-CV) and then have an envelope control a VCA at a minimum. You'll want a filter to smooth the sound or if you have a MurF that can do both.

If you are into DIY, you can build something for about 15 bucks worth of components, there are many published schematics that will accomplish the basics of an envelope and a VCA. I built a few MISS10 VCAs which are based on the Korg MS-10. One of the guys on Muffwigglers has a combo VCF VCA board and a different HADSR board which I think will do everything you want. But you'll need to know enough about sourcing components and soldering in order to pull it off.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 am

I figured it out using my Oberheim SEM Pro's ADSR Envelope Generator! Its great because I can also mix in the SEM's two VCO's as well. Here are my notes in case anyone else is seeking to play the Freq Box via a keyboard as a 1 VCO synth.

- Midi Out on controller keyboard into Midi/CV Converter (Oberheim SEM Pro)
- CV #1 out of the Oberheim SEM Pro into "Freq" jack on Moogerfooger
- "Osc Out" to Audio In on SEM Pro
- Audio Out on SEM Pro to monitor or headphones

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:37 pm

I've got two freq boxes running. I'm using a little phatty with CV's out.

Pitch CV into a CP251's mults. Then to the freq boxes, then back to the CP-251's mixer. Then back to the little phatty. It seems that the ADSR on my LP is controlling both freq boxes envelopes. I'm not sure about the LFO signal on it's way to the externals. But I know I have ADSR control. I'm getting awesome sounds doing it this way. I plan to add another freq box to this system.

I wish I had a minitaur to compare it's bass to what I'm getting. This has taken any desire to have a minitaur away. The bass I'm getting is great. In fact, it seems that the two freq box oscillators rivals the LP's internal osc's. The freq oscillators are stable. Once I tune them they seen to stay in tune for quite a while. Long enough to do a thirty minute set live.

Sorry to rave about my freq box experiments but I'm so into this system.

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Sounds like a good system! I've been really into figuring out ways to use Freq Boxes as synths. I had a minitaur, but after several tests against my Voyager's oscillators I could barely distinguish the difference in tone - the only noticeable difference to me was the "width" of the filter on the Minitaur. It allows a larger range on both ends, however I could not hear the difference in the sound of the sweeps. So, I sold the Minitaur. I would certainly keep and use a Minitaur-style Voyager! Just an old school Mini Moog in a small box. That would be amazing. I want that vintage raw sound that I get out of the new Oberheim SEM. The new Moog's VCO's seem too "tame", but I suppose adding some fuzz could help overdrive.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Here's the bass I'm getting. It's kind of buried under the MF-105M, but it's there. The Little Phatty osc's are turned down. So the only oscillators are the two freq box's.

http://soundcloud.com/michael-fields-6/ ... -the-storm

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:28 pm

You could get the tiny Doepfer case, and put an ADSR and VCA in that. but, once you get hooked on Eurorack..........