Minitaur upper octaves

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Flip

Minitaur upper octaves

Post by Flip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Just wondering if its possible to do the pitch wheel trick on the minitaur, where you hold the wheel all the way up and can access another octave higher?

Flip

Re: Minitaur upper octaves

Post by Flip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Nevermind I just read it can only go up +3 semitones.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

If I'm not mistaken, you can go 2 octaves in range via Minitaur editor on any particular patch. But the upper reach of the OSCs are fixed regardless of pitch bend or tuning.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Flip

Post by Flip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

EMwhite wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can go 2 octaves in range via Minitaur editor on any particular patch. But the upper reach of the OSCs are fixed regardless of pitch bend or tuning.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying with the editor you can go up to C7?

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Flip wrote:
EMwhite wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can go 2 octaves in range via Minitaur editor on any particular patch. But the upper reach of the OSCs are fixed regardless of pitch bend or tuning.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying with the editor you can go up to C7?
The oscillators themselves are limited to C5 maximum, editor or not. That being said, you can track the filter up as high on the scale as you want. You can make a filter track the pitch 50%, 100% or 200% and play melodies in the upper register, while keeping the oscillator voices turned down. If you feel like making some sort of grinding tones and using the oscillators with the filter, you can play lower than C5, so the oscillators track AND the filter tracks. Just tune the filter cutoff until it gets to the note you want.

Flip

Post by Flip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 pm

btw, if you self-oscillate the filter into a sine wave, can the sine wave go up to higher registers?

Flip

Post by Flip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Kirk Markarian wrote:
Flip wrote:
The oscillators themselves are limited to C5 maximum, editor or not. That being said, you can track the filter up as high on the scale as you want. You can make a filter track the pitch 50%, 100% or 200% and play melodies in the upper register, while keeping the oscillator voices turned down. If you feel like making some sort of grinding tones and using the oscillators with the filter, you can play lower than C5, so the oscillators track AND the filter tracks. Just tune the filter cutoff until it gets to the note you want.
When you say the osc voices are turned down, what is producing sound?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Filter resonance.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 am

I'm sorry, I was simply replying to the comment about pitch bend being 'limited to 3 semitones' (paraphrasing).

And suggested that within the Minitaur editor that you could change the bend range as high as 24 half steps (2 octaves) but unfortunately, the OSC will run out of range regardless of this setting. Voltor's note about getting the filter to self oscillate and subsequently output sine wave is a good one provided that you can get it to scale properly (and of course, you''ll need an external filter in order to further sculpt the sound).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

till

Post by till » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

EMwhite wrote:... Voltor's note about getting the filter to self oscillate and subsequently output sine wave is a good one provided that you can get it to scale properly (and of course, you''ll need an external filter in order to further sculpt the sound).
Nothing is as boring a filtering a sine wave ;-)

Think of it and the results you get, unless you really use strong overdrive on the filter input.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16