Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
restlessboy

Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Post by restlessboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 am

Despite the fact that my Voyager hasn't even arrived yet - presumably Moog are varnishing the wood as we speak :) - I'm already thinking about what I might get next.

I'm keen for another hardware synth with lots of hands-on tweakability which will cover those sounds and approaches that the MV doesn't excel at. So polyphony obviously, but also things like a more digital, modern sound (not the best way to put it but there we are...).

So what, in your opinion, would be a good synth to complement the Voyager? And why?

One I've got my eye on is the DSI Evolver. Thoughts?
Last edited by restlessboy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just Me

Re: Perfect Partner for Voyager

Post by Just Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:36 am

My favorite is the VFX-SD. A Blofeld works well also. Of course a P5 or Chroma sounds good with a Voyager. :)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am

It depends on how you play music.

I'll talk about my experience: the Little Phatty goes very well with the Nord Lead series. I guess a Nord cannot be a bad partner for a Voyager then.
The Nord character is very complementary and will provide really good polyphonics -pads, strings- as well as cool leads, not in the Moog vein though. When it comes to bass, I usually think Phatty rather than Nord Lead, but why not: I'm doing this automatically as my fingers find their way to the knobs easier with the Phatty in that situation.
Last but not least: the Nord interface is really hands on, just as the Voyager's. If you're a keyboardist, you'd find yourself with a set-up allowing playing as well as live tweaking.

About the Evolver, I had one: it's quite a little beast, with uncommon possibilities. Pay attention to the encoders, they are lifetime-limited… If you're a keyboardist, you certainly prefer the 3 octave version, which is harder to find than the desktop one.
If you want polyphony, you have to know the PolyEvolver will sing of its 4 voices, which is sometimes limited. Actually, it comes to how you play music: live, studio only, with your fingers, with a sequencer…
For the story, I wanted the Evolver since it came out. I got the desktop one last year and sold it 6 months later. It definitely is a great synth, but I was fed up with programming patches rather than playing music. The Phatty entered just after…
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:10 am

I have a blofeld with my voyager and they sound amazing together. I sometimes forget that the blofeld is digital
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

tommyecho

Re: Perfect Partner for Voyager?

Post by tommyecho » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm

I have a prophet 08, and it is a wonderful complement to the voyager. Some folks on these forums don't like the Prophet 08, but I think it's great. It has a different sound from the moog stuff, of course. Don't know if you're a fan, but Radiohead uses the same combination on there last album and current tour.

Enjoy!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:21 pm

I also have a Prophet 08 and it's a great synth. No sure they may only sell the PE edition now, early ones with encoders had problems. DSI may have improved that though. Mine is an early one, I had problems so did the Pot Edition upgrade on it.

Depending on what other sounds you need, look at some of the Yamaha Motif, Korg, or Roland line.
Used wise there are many to look at, the Korg Z1 has select knobs for adjustments on the front panel and will give you a wide variety of sounds. Everything from "DX Rhodes type sounds to way out in space synth sounds. Can be a bit hard to wrap your head around programming but the cool thing is with all the knobs avilable you can tweak things pretty well.

Good luck

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't have one but indeed the Prophet 08 + Moog combination is awesome.

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks everyone. Prophet 08 is also on my potential list.

I think I want to like the Evolver more than I actually do. Keep looking at demo vids and listening to samples, but the sounds I hear from the Prophet are more appealing. I even saw a Mopho x4 video that tempted me, although I reckon I could make 90% of the sounds in it with a Voyager.

How is the Prophet for modulation options? I like nice clean modulated lines (which tbh is what I'm getting the Voyager for too), but I also want nice 'springy' eighties sounds. Human League, Pet Shops Boys, Hot Chip stylee. I'm guessing it's good for those?

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 am

If you can find a used Andromeda A6, that will be a great alternative also.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 am

I've looked at the Andromeda. Didn't click with the sounds I've heard as much - there's a harsh quality to it even with some of the pads, though I don't doubt it's capable of more. Probably down to the specific videos I've heard.

I'd be put of buying second hand for something that there's apparently no customer support for, and a new Prophet generally seems to be cheaper than a used A6.

Still just dreaming at this stage though. Having okayed a Voyager purchase with the Mrs I don't know how soon I'll be able to sneak a second £1k+ synth past her. Might have to sell something. Like a kidney.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Get an iPad 2 and install...
Animoog
Wolfgang PPG Wavegenerator
TC-11
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm

kinda off topic but every time i read the topic title i think it says "Perfect Panther for Voyager"
lol

carry on
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:"Perfect Panther for Voyager"
lol

carry on
You mean the Octave Cat is a candidate?? Mate, you're so cryptic! :lol:

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 am

analoghaze wrote:Get an iPad 2 and install...
Animoog
Wolfgang PPG Wavegenerator
TC-11
I've got animoog. It sounds brilliant and the concept with the signal path onscreen is really, really innovative. But do you know what I hate? Touchscreen emulations of rotary encoders. Totally counter-intuitive. Why copy something that depends on tactile feedback on a touchscreen? Why have an interface which has to remain static like hardware? You could have a slider which grows to twice its size when you touch it - allowing really precise control. But no, like nearly every other ipad synth maker, they put a visual representation of a knob on screen which you then have to slide your finger up and down the screen to adjust. Pointless.

Mini-rant over!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:36 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:"Perfect Panther for Voyager"
lol

carry on
You mean the Octave Cat is a candidate?? Mate, you're so cryptic! :lol:
I have always wanted a cat/kitten lol