Sequencing Animoog performances on a single iPad

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Satri

Sequencing Animoog performances on a single iPad

Post by Satri » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm

While there are a few documented ways to record your Animoog performances, despite several searches on Moog Forums, I still haven't found a way to play, record and sequence performances on a single iPad. Using a MacBook or such makes the process probably straightforward by recording on a sequencer on the MacBook itself via the iPad MIDI out (ie camera kit) - but that's not what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to find a way to do the recording and sequencing from a single iPad. Is that possible at all?

I guess I should buy the MIDI Extension Pack in order to be able to correct misplayed notes. But which other Apps do I need? Any related recommendation?

Thanks a lot! I've been really excited the last few months by Animoog and now I'm ready to go to the next level :-) -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

dswo

Re: Sequencing Animoog performances on a single iPad

Post by dswo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 pm

When AudioBus comes out, I'll use Beatmaker 2 to sequence and record:

1. Send BM2's MIDI OUT to Animoog's MIDI IN.

2. Record/arrange the note sequence in BM2.

3. Play the sequence in BM2 so that MIDI OUT goes to Animoog.

-- The foregoing is all possible now

4. Using AudioShare (which isn't available yet), send Animoog's audio OUT to Beatmaker 2's audio IN.

-- Until AudioShare is available:

4. Record the sequence n seconds at a time, where n is the maximum length of Animoog's built-in recorder.
David Wilson-Okamura

Satri

Post by Satri » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply! :-) Here's a few related questions.

I haven't purchased BM2 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beatmak ... 20234?mt=8) yet, but you propose using BM2 to play the sequence in BM2 directly... this means we don't have the Animoog keyboard in front of us. (A) Does the BM2 offers a keyboard that allows you to slide your fingers on the keys to modulate in a similar way to Animoog? That also means (B) we don't have access to Animoog's X/Y Pad, and thus, can't modulate the sound by moving Animoog's X/Y Pad while in BM2, right? Why not do the inverse? (C) Why not playing on Animoog with the MIDI OUT directed to BM2's MIDI IN?

Thanks too for informing me about AudioBus http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... ic-making/, however, there's no time frame for its release. Exciting times! :-)
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

dswo

Post by dswo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Satri wrote:I haven't purchased BM2 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beatmak ... 20234?mt=8) yet, but you propose using BM2 to play the sequence in BM2 directly... this means we don't have the Animoog keyboard in front of us. (A) Does the BM2 offers a keyboard that allows you to slide your fingers on the keys to modulate in a similar way to Animoog? That also means (B) we don't have access to Animoog's X/Y Pad, and thus, can't modulate the sound by moving Animoog's X/Y Pad while in BM2, right? Why not do the inverse? (C) Why not playing on Animoog with the MIDI OUT directed to BM2's MIDI IN?
What you describe should work too, though I don't know how BM2 will record the slides, mod wheel, and aftertouch data. If you buy Animoog's MIDI out module, the X/Y movement will be output as MIDI too. But I don't know how Animoog will interpret that data when it's played back. Will it interpret those recorded CC values as modulation and timber changes?

Another program to look at is Genome MIDI Sequencer. BM2 can do a lot more than sequence MIDI performances, but look at some videos -- you might find that you prefer the Genome piano roll editor.
David Wilson-Okamura

Satri

Post by Satri » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 pm

A folllowup regarding this quest for a midi sequencer fully supporting Animoog.

I have Genome and tried it quite a few times with Animoog. It works well for basic Animoog usage - it does support slides and modulations, which is great, *but*, as soon as you tried to do something a bit too complex, such as sliding two or more fingers while changing modulation, Genome fails to properly record the associated midi from Animoog. In other words, it doesn't work.

According to feedback on the BM2 forum, BM2 too suffers from failing to properly record Animoog. In BM2's case, horizontal slides / poly-pressure apparently isn't recorded well in midi.

I'll gladly pay another 30$ if Animoog was to provide a way to jam with Animoog and then fix the errors at the key level / sequence the whole thing. Currently, we can record audio in the 4-tracks panel, but not midi yet. And I found no other app fully supporting Animoog's midi output.

I haven't tried a Desktop-based sequencer (such as Logic Audio on my mac) - but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Thanks for reading! I hope a fully-supporting midi sequencer for Animoog will eventually come to life! Cheers -- Alex

badbark

Post by badbark » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Have you find any fully working with Animoog yet?
I am looking for the exact same midi funtion as you, to
exactly capture everything in Animoog, and not any step sequens…!

Satri

Post by Satri » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 am

Hi Badbark,

Sadly, no. An iPad sequencer that fully support Animoog (including polypressure) is the main thing missing as far as I'm concerned. It's also the very first element in the wish list here: http://animoog.org/playing/wish-list/

Once I'll find a solution, my scream of happiness will be heard all over the world! ;-) -- Cheers -- Alex

badbark

Post by badbark » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:12 am

Hi!
Thax for the replay!
And very nice Animoog site!
I will be active there. I am using Animoog to improvice
"sound scapes"... There is non other app that come close to Animoog
for that. But a function to reckord ALL input is a must!

/ Bark