How to Make the Filter Track 100% in a Preset Sound

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Kirk Markarian

How to Make the Filter Track 100% in a Preset Sound

Post by Kirk Markarian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 am

Well, after excessive fiddling, I found that you can actually make the filter track 100%

BUT

You cannot set a sound to track the filter 100% only. You MUST make a regular patch, while setting the filter tracking to your preference with the resonance NOT set to full on.

That is why I got a 50% tracking rate when I uploaded the .syx file into the Minitaur.

So, just make a regular patch, set the filter tracking as you please, and when you are disconnected it should play right. I cannot guarantee it, but it worked on mine.

I don't know how anybody would know this naturally. I wish it was explained. Anyway, I now have a sound that I can use on the full range of the keyboard. It's beautiful. I like microtones as well, so I can make a different preset that tracks the filter accordingly.

What a lesson.

Stuka

Re: How to Make the Filter Track 100% in a Preset Sound

Post by Stuka » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 am

Kirk -

When you state, "You MUST make a regular patch...", what exactly do you mean?
It sounds like you might be on to something good here concerning the Minitaur editor, but I'm not sure I know what "regular patch" refers to. :?

Thanks in advance!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Randy,
Oh, no problem - sorry, I was typing faster than I thought.

So, I like to make a saw wave piano sound, very basic, no attack, long decay, some sustain. I can save that as a preset with no particular issues.

If I decide I want to make a purely 100% filter-tracking tone with no oscillator sound, it won't allow me to save it as a preset with 100% tracking. So, I get to play with microtones. Not a bad thing, but I don't like to stretch my hands out over a keyboard that is microtonal. I can get a good melody, but have to work twice as hard.

SO!

Using that simple preset, but moving the filter to 100% tracking in the "under the hood" part of the editor, saving it to the memory of the Minitaur, there is no issue. I locate the preset on the Minitaur, which is now disconnected from the USB socket. Next, I turn down the oscillators, move the resonance all the way up, and move the filter to 320hZ position. Play a "C" scale. It works fine!

Weird, huh? I wish I had known before.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Ahh, got it!

I appreciate the explanation ~

It's been a while since I"ve done anything with analog synths(and didn't have much experience with them to begin with!), so I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something "basic" that you experience folks know as second nature!

Thank-you for the tutoring!! :D
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Kirk Markarian

Post by Kirk Markarian » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 am

Randy,
No problem - I've been using synths for 17 years and I'm STILL learning. I found this out by happy accident, the filter tracking issue.