SP Third oscillator, my way

Everything Phatty.
psavolai

SP Third oscillator, my way

Post by psavolai » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:52 am

Hi,

Just wanted to share in case this is not obvious ...

I am using a spare Nord Micromodular as the third "missing" oscillator and being quite happy with the added expression power.
The NM is connected to midi_trough and it is listening to the same channel that SP is.
My NM patches consists mostly of oscillators with no filters or ADSR's or effects. (basic waveforms,noise , FM,...)

I route NM through audio_in or sometimes trough pitch_CV resulting in FM - type of sounds.
One can achieve especially nice results when using non conventional waveforms, sort of like poor man's PPG type of deal.
... i guess you could do this with any old casio and still get nice results.

anyone else doing this and have you found some specific brand of synth to be better for this than others ?

cheers,

Petri.

Assar

Re: SP Third oscillator, my way

Post by Assar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I do just that with my Little Phatty and my Doepfer Dark Energy, the same way.
At the same time I use the Dark Energy's LFO CV out to modulate the Phatty. With a standard 3,5 mm headphone extension cable with a volume control on, and an adapter, I can set the amount of the cv modulation. Works like a dream!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Assar wrote:I use the Dark Energy's LFO CV out to modulate the Phatty. With a standard 3,5 mm headphone extension cable with a volume control on, and an adapter, I can set the amount of the cv modulation. Works like a dream!
That's a great idea. I need to find me a bunch of those, in quarter inch, for my foogers.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi there,

I do a similar thing with my Phatty Midi Chain (1x Little Phatty Stage II with CV Output Mod & 2x Slim Phattys) running separate patches on each unit, with them all stacked on one key press (monophonic). Even though they're all the same sound engine, you can get some very nice complex soundscapes by mixing different patches on top of each other. The LP's CV Output Mod and two CP-251's also allow some modulation to be shared across and/or between the units.

I'm glad to hear others are having fun with similar ideas! :D

David.
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I use the CP-251 as an LFO in conjunction with the MF-102's Carrier output through the four channel mixer. It makes for a ton of modulation possibilities.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

psavolai

Post by psavolai » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:58 am

The Dark Matter approach seems very interesting since it has knobs when Nord Micromodular has only three assignable ones.

I've been also thinking about the possibility of building something around Arduino and XE2206 function generator.

Anyone tried diy ?

petri.

Secondhandbeats

Post by Secondhandbeats » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 am

Hey guys!
I like to connect (via a USB connector kit) my Little Phatty to my iPad and use wave forms from the Animoog and sometimes the Korg iMS-20 application. It works like a charm.
:D :D :D
Cheers

psavolai

Post by psavolai » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm

The Animoog approach is very good too.

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Animoog from the Nord Micromodular.
Much more control ... and better sound.

I have a problem with computers on stage though, but iPad is hardly a computer, eh ?

petri.

Secondhandbeats

Post by Secondhandbeats » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:15 am

Well I use Animoog because then it kinda will be a fully "Moog" sound! :P
But as for control, perhaps the iMS-20 app by Korg might be better.. It has two oscillators and a zoom button so your iPad would make the knobs a lot larger and take away the touch keyboard at the bottom, like so: http://sothis.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images ... -df7b9.jpg
PLUS I'm not too sure how to change the octave of the waveforms on the Animoog..