MF-102 Ring Mod Carrier Osc. Bleed

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
David Smyth

MF-102 Ring Mod Carrier Osc. Bleed

Post by David Smyth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi there,

I recently picked up a MF-102 Ring Modulator - it's great fun.

One small thing I've noticed though is that after turning it on and playing a note through it (Little Phatty line-level signal), I can hear the pitch of the internal carrier oscillator bleed through afterwards, which sustains for a second or two before quickly fading out (the tone responds to movement of the Frequency knob as expected). This does not happen if the Mix knob is set to only allow my dry signal (also as expected).

Has anyone else with an MF-102 noticed this? If so, I can accept it as an analog quirk - I just want to make sure my unit is working as intended.

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

jeepo

Re: MF-102 Ring Mod Carrier Osc. Bleed

Post by jeepo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 am

This is normal. It happens more with some sounds than others.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 am

Nature of the balanced modulator. Any mismatch or drift of the ring components will allow bleed as it doesn't completely phase cancle then. Some designs have an envelope follower and VCA (noise gate) to mute this. You are hearing the time it takes for the gate to close.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

Sweet, that makes sense - no real problem for me anyways. I've also read somewhere since, that putting a hotter signal through (i.e. more drive) should decrease how noticeable the bleed is - I assume by increasing the ratio of desired signal volume to bleed volume. So I'll investigate using some hotter drive settings when I get a chance to mess around..

Thanks again for the reassurance. :D

Regards,
David Smyth
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107