Slim Phatty - Pass Thru mode for Cutoff/Res Not Working

Everything Phatty.
digital geist

Slim Phatty - Pass Thru mode for Cutoff/Res Not Working

Post by digital geist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 am

Here's a weird one: I just got my SP last Friday. I love it. However when I put the encoders into pass thru mode, everything works as it should EXCEPT filter cutoff/resonance. KB, EG, OL work as they should, and so do the other encoders in this mode. Track mode is terrible for me, and snap could really be a problem in a live environment, ESPECIALLY with the cutoff/resonance. Any tips?
Man, of all the knobs that could have a problem - the two most important functions on the unit! At least I know it's not the knob itself as the other functions work with it...

EMwhite

Re: Slim Phatty - Pass Thru mode for Cutoff/Res Not Working

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

I've got a LP Tribute and I'm sure the hardware is different; code is similar.

But if the pot works properly otherwise and you've tried this on multiple patches, I'd have to think that it's a software issue (but) and not something that is 'broken' from a hardware perspective.

I have an analog sequencer that has a 'dead spot' around 2 o'clock on the dial and it's tricky but if I use a quantizer which I often do, I can send the same normalized voltage (I really should replace it).

One test you can do is go into Precision mode so that you see the values and very slowly swing the pot from 0 to end of range and see if it's smooth, all values represented with no jumping.

Otherwise, reach out to Amos directly and give him the precise info such as code version (including build #), and the steps you take to reproduce the problem.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

digital geist

Post by digital geist » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:46 am

It's a weird behavior, but I did manage to straighten out the problem I was having. If I go to the precision menu then it works just fine. I'm going to start using the SP on a daily basis for the project I'm doing, so if this does end up being a problem I'll have to talk to support about it.

MADREX

Post by MADREX » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 pm

After working with my Slim Phatty for two weeks, I have yet to have the "PASS-THRU" mode for potentiometer response function properly. It will intermittently function properly, then malfunction again (in the middle of tracking!!!). I like the sound but have had no luck with performance. Moog support has suggested reloading the Firmware/OS. I have now reloaded both and the malfunction still continues. If anyone has an answer, please advise.

soli

Post by soli » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Glad to see it isn't just my Slim Phatty with this problem! Though unfortunate for the rest of you too. The pass-thru mode doesn't work on my cutoff/res knob either.

Also, Track mode is problematic too. Whenever i try to decrease the cutoff freq at any rate, it falls to zero on it's own accord fairly quickly, though increasing seems to be ok. Res a similar issue.

This leaves me with Snap. Which will do, but isn't ideal switching back and forth between parameters.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 pm

that's unusual, but if it's only cutoff and resonance and not the other parameters associated with the same physical pot then that sounds like a firmware behavior.

A very odd one too I might add. I am due to work on Little/Slim Phatty code in the coming few weeks; I will definitely look into this and see what is the matter. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and I apologize for the inconvenience you're having in the meanwhile!

Amos

yaosichen

Post by yaosichen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Got the same issues here
I play my slim phatty as an external instrument in logic
and I just found out that
After I close the porject
The tracking problem just gone everything went alright