Big announcement?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
BHC303

Re: Big announcement?

Post by BHC303 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Interesting times... new gear in the pipe???

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I don't understand what's got everybody's balls in a bind. Sure, Moog is discontinuing the Select and possibly the Electric Blue. They discontinued the Old School quite a while ago and I had no problem getting a used one in great shape at a fair price. I have no doubt the same will be true of future discontinued models. Not to mention there will be a good amount of units in stock that won't fly off the shelves. Not to say the Voyager is not in demand- it is, but it is also an expensive product that takes more than five minutes' consideration before one purchases it. Simply put: you want a Select. Select is being discontinued. That will not affect your ability to obtain a Select.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 am

The Lunar Impact at Novamusik has also been discontinued. It is no longer available on their website.

Looking back on it, I always wanted to have two: the Lunar Impact, and a Whitewash Jade Indigo or Blue. Oh well, unless circumstances change suddenly and unexpectedly, my Voyager LI will not have a sibling. That's alright, though. Having one Voyager is great enough. :mrgreen:

In any case, I want to guess at the announcement Moog will make soon. It will either be:

1 - PolyVoyager

or...

2 - Source II

What do y'all think? All along, I have thought the digital experiments Moog has been conducting recently with the Animoog stuff and their smaller boxes like the SP and the Minitaur have been a way for Moog to invest more/cover the costs of R&D for a new board using tried and true technology. The digital stuff has also helped Moog "cover its flanks," like we say in marketing. In any case, the LP sound was ported to the SP. The Taurus was ported to the Minitaur. The Voyager has been ported to the Rackmount Edition. However, as they discontinue the coolest synth ever made (the customizable Voyager), I think they will use that extra room in their operating budget for introduction/production of either a PolyVoyager or Source II.

Either that, or I am wrong. :mrgreen:

Heheh, this sort of speculation is fun! :P
Minimoog Model D / Moog Little Phatty TE / DSI Prophet 08 / Elektron Digitone / Elektron Octatrack Mkii / Clavia Nord Wave / Nord Drum II / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Roland TR-707 / Roland TB-03 / Korg MS-20 / Access Virus TI 2 Polar / Roland SH-101 /:mrgreen:

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 am

Bring on the poly! think we will need to take out a mortgage though :lol:

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:45 am

I'd also like to argue the statement that any polyphonic synth Moog produces will be obscenely expensive. I don't believe it will be any more so than the polyphonic synths DSI has been producing for several years now. If Moog polysynth were much more costly than, say, a Prophet 08, it would flop. For the record, a SourceII would kick ass, but you can't get much cooler than a polyphonic Moog.

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:11 am

I think it would come at the cost of an XL or more, though I hope I am wrong! It should have at least 61 keys being a ploy...

I hope moog bring back the analog poly we have all been waiting for!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48 am

You've seen the picture though right? On moogs Facebook page they posted a pic of what looks like an OS front panel but it's backlit and has a programmable mod dest. My thinking the next synth will be some sort of new OS. Either a rack/desktop or new keyboard version with backlighting
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:10 am

No, missed that... oh, still sounds exciting :mrgreen:

Cheers mate

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:26 am

My guess is an Old School with program memories. I'd be totally sold for that!

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:27 am

I want an Old School with programmable memory and an X-Y touch pad . . . oh wait.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:41 am

There's no touch pad in the pic though and no space to add one.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:32 am

Kenneth wrote:I don't understand what's got everybody's balls in a bind. Sure, Moog is discontinuing the Select and possibly the Electric Blue. They discontinued the Old School quite a while ago and I had no problem getting a used one in great shape at a fair price. I have no doubt the same will be true of future discontinued models. Not to mention there will be a good amount of units in stock that won't fly off the shelves. Not to say the Voyager is not in demand- it is, but it is also an expensive product that takes more than five minutes' consideration before one purchases it. Simply put: you want a Select. Select is being discontinued. That will not affect your ability to obtain a Select.
This is the genesis of ebay price inflation.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

restlessboy

Post by restlessboy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:06 pm

EricK wrote:This is the genesis of ebay price inflation.
Does that happen? Most of the Voyagers I see listed here in the UK go unsold. Even someone selling the singnature, mega rare edition got zero bids. I guess most people are like me, just waiting for a good deal on a usable instrument.

If I save up the full amount for a new Voyager before I get impatient and click buy on a used one I'd like a Select Edition, but I wouldn't die in a ditch to get the exact colour second hand, and I would never ever pay above new price for it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 pm

If you are in the market for an Etherwave Pro or a 104sd be prepared to pay out the yin yang.

My point is that this hysteria is what ebay predators capitalize on in the short term.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 am

It will be some years still before prices climb on the Select. Old Schools on eBay are still being sold for less than what Moog sold them for new, and they were discontinued a few years ago now.