LP Stage II and Boss Dr220A drum machine

Everything Phatty.
ToddC

LP Stage II and Boss Dr220A drum machine

Post by ToddC » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello. I did not find anything here regarding this topic so I hope I'm not overlooking something.

I have a stage II LP and a BOSS DR 220A drum machine.

I want to set the LP arpeggiating a pattern and matching that tempo with a pattern or a sequence of steps on the 220A.
Right now I just eye ball it and turn on the beat then hit the notes on the LP and hope its on the beat. Which is ok in the basement but its kind of hit and miss.

The 220A has a trigger in and a trigger out--both 1/8 in. Thats it.
Regarding "Trigger Out" In the 22oA manual it says "the dr 220A can send the trigger signal in the timing of the rim shot"
Regarding the "Trigger In" the manual says "In the Trigger In mode the external trigger signal controls the steps. Each time the trigger-in signal is fed in, a step of the rhythm pattern is played"

Would any one here have any suggestions regarding how to get this working?
Ideally I would like to hit the notes on the LP and it triggers the 220A on (or vice versa, I don't know how it works)

Thanks ! Todd C.

cliffman

Re: LP Stage II and Boss Dr220A drum machine

Post by cliffman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Afaik, the only way to sync the LP arpeggiator is via MIDI. The LP has a Gate in, but it doesn't have anything to do with arp timing or sync.
And, even with the CV out mod, there is no trigger output on the LP. If the Boss does MIDI, use that.
Otherwise, you would need something that converts MIDI clock to a trigger pulse. Kenton boxes will do this, there are a few other devices. Then the LP could provide a
clock out via MIDI, convert that to trigger, drive the Boss via trigger in.

ToddC

Post by ToddC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks for the information. Its helpful. Those benton boxes cost over three times what I paid for the dr220 so I doubt I'll buy it.
Its too bad that thats my only option to sync the two machines. I like the sound of the BOSS machine.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Are you saying the "gate" cv output can't be used for a trigger?