Modular synths

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Moogtard

Modular synths

Post by Moogtard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Anyone have an opinion about Synthesizers.com stuff? Is it a good Moog modular alternative/copy?

dksoundguy

Re: Modular synths

Post by dksoundguy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 pm

I have a modest 3 osc, 1 filter system and I love it. I find the envelope generators to be much snappier than the Moog and the Ladder Filter sounds real nice. In fact, I traded my Old School away, cuz the dotcom does what it did... not exactly the same, mind you, but close enough to let one synth go ;)

DK

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:07 am

Their builds are great, their service is great, the prices are great. I wouldn't say they sound exactly like a Moog, but everything I have heard of theirs sounds very nice. There are some audio samples of the filter from both companies that sound similar. Supposedly you can use the clipper/rectifier so emulate the Moog snappy envelopes. They sure play nice with Moog's products.
http://www.synthesizers.com/egpunch.html

Are you really wanting to copy a Moog Modular? It is about the best alternative in 5U as far as affordability.

I think that a good strategy is to go dotcom for a lot of the basic modules, especially for modulation and routing, and go to other manufacturers for more advanced functions (VC Envelopes, better sounding filters, etc.) The MOTM 440 I think is the filter the enthusiasts say sounds the closest to the Moog. Club of the Knobs is where you go if you have to have the closest thing to the Moog look/interface.

Muff Wiggler is the go to forum for all of these questions.

Don't forget to check out the "I Dream of Wires" documentary that is in production now. You can support them if you like by finding their indiegogo page and pre-ordering a copy of their films.

Eric
Last edited by EricK on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 pm

The best add to a DotCom system to get that Moog sound is an STG mixer. It overdrives like the cp and is very nice. You can't fault Roger's build, service, quality, price. I've been downsizing a bit and have reduced from 88MU to 56MU and it is mostly DotCom.
If you can find one and afford it, the Ken McBeth stuff is awesome and the Mos-Lab stuff is direct copy of Moog.
http://www.mos-lab.com/PAGE%20IN%20ENG.htm
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.
Eric, I wouldn't mind having a Moog copy modular but I asked just more of to see what ya'll thought. I have just read a great book by Mark Vale called vintage synthesizers and it has been a wonderful read. Explains alot about the different popular modular systems. Although the book is a bit outdated as it was written in the early 90's. Which is why I thought this would be a good place to get info about the DotCom systems.

Are the DotCom oscillators super stable? Or do they drift bit?

Thanks for the input!

dksoundguy

Post by dksoundguy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 pm

With the Calibrated Range Switch option they sell, they're pretty stable.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q106crs.html

DK

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:51 am

I need to reprise my post above to reflect that the MOTM 490 is actually modeled after the Moog but the 440 still remains the go to patch for people who have many to choose from. The MOTM stuff is available from bridechamber.com
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 2740ace3af
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am

Q106's are very stable with or without the CRS. All the CRS does is calibrate the range switch so you don't have to retune the OSC if you switch ranges during performance.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

condit79

Post by condit79 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:41 pm

I second whoever said to get the STG mixer. It's really fantastic and overdrives in a really musical way. I don't have any oscillator assist on my VCOs and they do just fine actually across the board. I really like my system and for under 2k you can have some really great sounds going, but I'd recommend talking to Eric at STG soundlabs about planning out your system. He helped me track down some used Dotcom stuff and I got 5 modules from him that really make my system incredibly fun to use. I got his wave folder, pulse matrix (basically a sub octave generator), mixer, and the post lawsuit & sea devils filter. You'll eventually sort it out all out, but be aware, once you pop you can't stop :lol:

and yeah, muffwiggler forum is the business when it comes to modulars.

dksoundguy

Post by dksoundguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Just Me wrote:Q106's are very stable with or without the CRS. All the CRS does is calibrate the range switch so you don't have to retune the OSC if you switch ranges during performance.

Yes, you're right, I can see how what I said could be misconstrued - sorry about that. I consider not having to re-tune when I switch ranges an issue of stability, but probably not something you could infer given the question. Sorry to confuse!

DK