Best Moog Guitar Case?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Croyote

Best Moog Guitar Case?

Post by Croyote » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:05 am

Hola Foogers,

I've just ordered one of the last Paul Vo B-stocks . . . it's being put together for me as we speak.

Per my order, I was informed that the tweed Vo cases are no longer available, and that it will ship with an E1 case! :(

What are y'all thoughts on the E1 case?

I think the case that came with my E1 was a bit of a B-stock, as it had a super weird glue stain inside, and one of the latches has already become loose (and it's never even left my house!). It doesn't seem very sturdy, and the padding does not impress me as protective in the slightest.

I've been thinking about getting an SKB open cavity case. http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... &c=82&s=75

I like that there are big pockets for the pedal and cords, etc. My only caveat is that it doesn't look like it has enough padding to keep the guitar from bumping around, and I want to take good care of that piezo tremolo bridge.

This one is nice too, but no big pockets. http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... c=82&s=75#

Anybody have another case they prefer/suggest?

mhuxtable

Re: Best Moog Guitar Case?

Post by mhuxtable » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 pm

The E1 case is fine and it fits the guitar perfectly. Cases are meant to hold guitars, not be pieces of art.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:23 am

I've owned many many cases in my day, and this is by far one of the least impressive I've ever seen or used.

I will say that the frame, the mdf or plywood, seems quite sturdy . . . but I am not at all impressed by the foam padding. The foam is insufficiently thick and dense. The case that I received with my E1 had some weird splooges of excessive glue that looked like a Smurf couple had gotten jiggy wit' it in the seams. Also, as I said the latches are starting to come loose and wobble a month after I got the guitar! The guitar shifts about inside the case when I move it in my room: not cool. I've never even taken it out for a gig!!!

A great guitar should have a great case. I think that any experienced guitarist who has owned many many guitars would not be impressed by it.

I've ordered the SKB case. I've also talked to the guys at SKB and they said they would LOVE to design a custom Moog case. I would love to see that.

I guess you guys think I complain a lot, but really I'm trying to help. Maybe I just got a bad one tho.

There is one thing about the E1 case that is awesome . . . the handle is very comfortable in the hand.
Last edited by Croyote on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 am

mhuxtable wrote:The E1 case is fine and it fits the guitar perfectly. Cases are meant to hold guitars, not be pieces of art.

I would actually argue that any Moog Guitar is a piece of art, not just the Vo's or Customs.

The cases should be just as much of a work of art; or should make it possible to protect the guitar to the fullest.

In any case, I will miss the Moog nameplate on my alternate case.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 am

My SKB 3i Open Cavity is here and perfectly fits my Paul VO "Scarlet" with a few modifications.

These modifications include:

1. A foam block wrapped in microfiber cloth attached to the lid which rests against the lower bout. This prevents the body or bridge from slamming against the lid during movement.

2. Foam blocks wrapped in microfiber cloth which press on both of the cutaway horns and keep the guitar from making back-forth movement.

3. a Cushion made of wrapped microfiber attached to the lid which rests against the headstock to prevent it from slamming against the lid during movement.

Hopefully these mods will protect the guitar and will help keep it from developing "Wilkinson Wobble" among other things for a long time.

4. The Moog name plate from the original case is now glued to the top of the SKB case.

5. The Open Cavity case has two pockets one of which perfectly fits Control Pedal . .. but when you try to close it the foam is designed to seal the cavity. So, I had to spend considerable time working back the foam which seals that pocket. Time well spent because it closes perfectly with a watertight seal and all necessary parts fit.

This is an awesome case. I highly recommend it if you want to take the time to protect and secure your Vo. Plus it has wheels!!!!!!

I wanted to make an attachment, but apparently "attachment quota has been reached." WTF!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:08 am

Use Photobucket to upload a picture, then just post the link here.

Stephen

Crowyote

Post by Crowyote » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 am

I'm back after an extended creative absence.

Loving my guitar . . .
Attachments
Scarlet's throne.jpg