DIY Timbres for Animoog

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
craig8128

DIY Timbres for Animoog

Post by craig8128 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 am

First off, I want to say THANK YOU to Amos and everyone else at Moog for pushing through the 1.1.1 update. It's never fun working under that kind of pressure, but they pulled it off - so Big SuperPhat Kudos to them!

Okay, I'm looking at this thread and I made a mess, I meant well but I got some stuff wrong (big thanks to Tim Webb who tested what I had written and pointed out the flaws). So I'm trashing my original post and replacing it with (I hope) something better. This is it.

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

0. Make sure you have Animoog loaded on your iPad or iPhone. Note: I haven't tested this on the iPhone, but it will likely work.

1. Get iFunBox from http://www.i-funbox.com/ and install it on your PC or Mac. No jailbreaking is required.

2. You'll probably want some kind of WAV file editor on your PC or Mac. Audacity is free at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

3. Connect your iPad to your computer. You should probably not move to step 4 if your device is actively syncing with iTunes.

4. Run iFunBox and click the List View button in the upper right[0]

5. Expand the User Applications list in the left pane, and find Animoog[1]. Left-click to select it.

5. In the right pane, double-left-click on the Documents folder to open it.

6. Look for the .data folder, double-left-click on it, and it will open. Among other things, you should see a presets folder[2] and a samples folder.

7. Double-left-click on the samples folder to open it. You should see a lot of WAV files. These are your Animoog Timbres.

8. If you have WAV Timbres on your PC or Mac, you can upload them into this folder. Note: I would advise prefixing the names of your uploaded WAV Timbres with a unique prefix, like C8-Volkswaven, so you can distinguish them from the stock files. Click the Copy From PC (or Mac) button and you'll get a file selector popup. Select your file(s) and click the Open button to upload. If you're not interested in downloading or inspecting the WAV files, skip ahead to step 11.

9. If you want to download some WAV Timbres to your PC or Mac to look at them (and maybe use as the basis of your own Timbres): first, select one or more WAV Timbres, then click the Copy To PC (or Mac) button to save them onto your PC or Mac.

10. Load a WAV Timbre into your favorite WAV editor and do whatcha wanna do. As near as we can tell, WAV Timbres must be Mono, 16-bit, and contain exactly 16384 sample slices, ie, .371519 seconds long at 44.1KHz or .341333 seconds long at 48KHz. I found it easiest to start with an existing WAV Timbre and modify it. Note for Audacity users: it's probably a preference setting somewhere, but out-of-the-box Audacity will display the WAV Timbre as 32-bit floating point. Don't be fooled - when you're finished creating your new waveform, make sure you export it as a 16-bit WAV. Hint: the resulting file should be a tad under 33kb in size.

11. Upload your new WAV Timbre as per the instructions above. You'll need to restart Animoog to see your new Timbres. If you restart but don't see your Timbres, kill Animoog and also remove any instance of Animoog that exists in the background bar. Then restart Animoog again.

12. Preview the new Timbre and make sure it makes a sound. If Animoog crashes instead, there's something wrong with your Timbre.
---------
[0] You may use Icon View if you like - these instructions are written assuming List View.

[1] You may have two Animoog entries, which indicates that you have installed Animoog for iPhone and regular iPad Animoog on your iPad. Which is which? Select one of the entries. In the right pane you'll see a folder named "Animoog.app" or a folder named "Animoog for iPhone.app".

[2] yes, you'll find your presets in this folder, and you can create directories in this folder to organize your presets.

ALSO: Tim Webb wrote a blog entry on this topic at

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/8/25/off ... o-diy.html

Which includes some Timbres he's constructed. Check it out!

------------
The Usual Disclaimers, I'm not astroturfing for iFunBox (I'm just a satisfied user) and if you attempt any of the stuff suggested in this post, I'm not responsible if you hork things up and brick your iPad or iPhone. So far all I've done is combine existing waveforms and made sure they're exactly the same length. But this is obviously a promising line of research and further work is needed.

Craig
Last edited by craig8128 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nuno

Re: DIY Timbres for Animoog

Post by nuno » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:35 am

I guess someone had to try it first!

Thanks for the tip.

Tim Webb

Post by Tim Webb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:58 am

I just tested this out, a lot. I couldn't get it to do anything with my own files. First I was doing 44.1, 32-bit mono. Then I noticed the factory are 16-bit, so I tried that. I even tried replacing existing .wavs, but none of my changes seem to happen in the app. I was testing with the Sine, so my weirdness should have been obvious.

Have you actually gotten this to work?

Tim Webb

Post by Tim Webb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:39 pm

I figured it out! You were close, but the directory you want for adding your own is: [Animoog Directory]/Documents/.data/samples/
Also make sure they are in 16-bit, not 32-bit or it crashes Animoog!

Complete details and the first Official Unofficial Timbre Pack is available here:
http://discchord.com/blog/2012/8/25/off ... o-diy.html

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 am

Hi,

After sorting all my timbres by size I discovered the bigger one is 33,712 bytes and the smaller one is 32,808 bytes so the limit seems to be files smaller than 33 KB (33,792 bytes).

They can be WAV 16-bit Mono files at 44,100 Hz or 48,000 Hz. Max. 32 KB.

Edited

More info:

All the static waves (StaticTriangle.wav, StaticSquare.wav...) have 16 whole cycles and 16384 samples.

16384*2/1024 = 32 KB

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 am

The 16 cycles in 32 KB means that the note is an A.

16 cycles/32 KB = 43.067 Hz/s = A note

If you increase this note 10 octaves, you will get the Standard Pitch A note:

43.067*(2^10) = 44100 = Standard Pitch A note

So, if you want to use your timbres in tune as oscillators waves, it is better to sample A notes.

supersaw

Post by supersaw » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

interesting point over on discchord's page.
What happens at next animoog update? will adding 3rd party timbres create a problem?

craig8128

Post by craig8128 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 pm

BrufordRules wrote: All the static waves (StaticTriangle.wav, StaticSquare.wav...) have 16 whole cycles and 16384 samples.
Yes, I noticed that, too. I think that what Animoog does is treat each WAV file as a package of 16 single-cycle waveforms, and it interpolates between them as the li'l dot moves horizontally. I think.

Craig

machetemirage

Post by machetemirage » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Brushed the dust off of my Korg Monotribe and made this nice little timbre pack. Enjoy! :D

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3804194/Monotr ... 20Pack.zip

SZak

Post by SZak » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:29 pm

machetemirage wrote:Brushed the dust off of my Korg Monotribe and made this nice little timbre pack. Enjoy! :D
machetemirage,

Thanks so much for your work on this and for supplying your homebrewed timbres to us Animoog users! I definitely need to check these out when I get the chance...

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm

machetemirage wrote:Brushed the dust off of my Korg Monotribe and made this nice little timbre pack. Enjoy! :D
Thank you so much! I will try them. :D

machetemirage

Post by machetemirage » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Happy to share!

Problem: Not so much in the monotribe pack, but a lot of other timbres I have attempted to make have phase inversions that make the preview/timbre sound choppy. My only guess would be accidentally exporting a stereo file from audacity....

libra66

Post by libra66 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:32 am

Any timbre I try to add shows up in iFunbox, but not on the iPad in Animoog. I noticed that the timbres I had previously added now appear w/ a .tbl extension, not the .

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 am

libra66 wrote:Any timbre I try to add shows up in iFunbox, but not on the iPad in Animoog. I noticed that the timbres I had previously added now appear w/ a .tbl extension, not the .
Hi. What are the size and file format of your timbres? Maybe that's the problem.

Meon

Post by Meon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 am

Hi All,

I have seen in various places that your own wavs need to be recorded in the Key of A for animoog to play at the correct pitch. Every sample i have analysed from the app seems to be in the key of F? Am I missing the point somewhere?

Regards,
Jamie