Moog Fest 2012?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ColorForm2113

Moog Fest 2012?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:53 pm

90% sure I'm going this year, the wife is coming with too. So I am curious about what other fun things there are to do out that way.

To keep things OT I am super excited to see primus in 3d, although I'm a little confused if that will just be them in real life or if they are doing some hologram type thing ala tu-pac
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EMwhite

Re: Moog Fest 2012?

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 am

Not sure if you are flying or driving from IL but if you fly, do rent a car. Asheville is beautiful and good to drive into the mountains, along the river to where the old factory was, etc.

Maybe even find the roads that Bob traversed in the Moog Movie : ) The river (what I saw of it) was wide and fast, lots of trees and wildlife. Find a quiet spot with nobody around and just sit and listen to the river, like Bob did... (again, watch the movie for motivation!)

In town there is a fair sized art scene if you like that sort of thing, pleny plenty plenty of pubs and great food. And there is the center of town near some triangle plaza where you can just sit back and check out the locals. I recall that there was a drum circle going on when I was there but I might be making that up; my memory from two years ago is fuzzy (I'm old).

But do your best to PLAN out who you are going to see across the few days. The venues (especially Orange peel) are far apart and many overlap time-wise (it's a brisk 20 minute walk to get from Orange Peel to Thomas Wolfe). Unless you are work at an indie label, the roster will have bands that you likely never heard of so good to do some internet research to see what you like and what the latest vibe is on a particular group.

Lines get long and venues fill fast. I would be psyched to see Thomas Dolby as I was a teenager then and was a huge fan; (Primus is said to be there in the flesh btw...)

But since it's promoted by AC Entertainment (I think), you'll see lots of music that is not necessarily Moog-ey but the larger acts with keys DO tend to integrate Moog whether they typically play their gear or not. Heck, any guitar player that tries one will want an MF phaser or filter pedal.

Another tip is to be very smart about what you bring with you on the day of the shows (I think it's just 2 days this year) because the security at the gate is brutal when it comes to allowing you to cary in bags or cameras. If you have a good smart phone and want to take pictures, use that or maybe buy a new phone ahead of the event!

Final tip is to sign up for the VIP package if you can afford it so you get access to the Moog related sessions including panel discussion, circuit bending competition, etc etc.

And yeah, do your best to plan on visiting the Factory on Friday early in the day if you can. They typically close up early but I think maybe since they moved they might be open longer and now have a demo area which is awesome. (I wish I could go this year; still working on my wife to let me but will be out West in San Rafeal/SF area for my yearly Pinball pilgrimage just 3 weeks prior).

And check this:
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... nav%7Chead
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry ... 8482.story (from last year)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 am

wow thanks for all the tips! we will be definitely driving down there. i think we are going to get out there Wednesday evening (leaving Chicago Wednesday morning) and coming back Sunday so we will have plenty of time to see some sights and go exploring. i think we have the bands we want to see figured out, just have to wait for the official schedule with times so we can plan better.

one thing im confused about though are the different levels of GA tickets. Level 1 is $100 Level 2 is $125 and Level 3 is $145. Are these like seat locations or something?

if i was going by myself or with friends i would do the VIP thing but the wife could care less about listening to people talk about synths and circuits, so we will find some other fun things to do (i am going to visit the factory though :mrgreen: )
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:24 am

I want to recommend the Wyndham Resort on Fairfield Mountain. It is about 45 minutes out of town in Lake Lure, but it is definately worth the drive, it is peaceful, quiet, beautiful, the lodging was very nice. It is near Chimney Rock....I promise that your wife will appreciate it.

The unit we stayed in had two bedrooms, an upstairs loft, a stone fireplace....view of the lake, balconies, etc. The quaint little towns had places where you could pan for gold.....Im sure there were lots of guys in little known spots Ramblin' on some good Old Time music.

Chimney rock is an absolutely fantastic day trip.

I also want to throw out that if you do drive and if you have the time, depending if you take this route to or fro, you can drive through Gatlinberg, Tn, then the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK, then the Cherokee Reservation which is like an hour or so outside Asheville.

Sending you a link to the lodge in a pm.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jimbok

Post by jimbok » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Actually, a related question. My son wants to come out from L.A. and get us VIP tickets for the festival. Great idea, I'm an old-time synth guy now into the Akai EWI and many iPad synth apps. But here's the problem: I've also got old-time legs and can't stand much. Am I going to be unable to sit anywhere without being blocked by standers/dancers (I understand, I was young once, honestly!)? Will VIP help?
I hate to miss this event, living (and performing) here in the area, but don't want to spend two days looking at backs. Any feedback from previous Moogfests?

Thanks!

Cpt Beardheart

Post by Cpt Beardheart » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

jimbok wrote:Actually, a related question. My son wants to come out from L.A. and get us VIP tickets for the festival. Great idea, I'm an old-time synth guy now into the Akai EWI and many iPad synth apps. But here's the problem: I've also got old-time legs and can't stand much. Am I going to be unable to sit anywhere without being blocked by standers/dancers (I understand, I was young once, honestly!)? Will VIP help?
I hate to miss this event, living (and performing) here in the area, but don't want to spend two days looking at backs. Any feedback from previous Moogfests?

Thanks!
Not sure I'm of any help on this, as 2012 will be my first Moogfest, but I went to see Explosions in the Sky at the Orange Peel last year, and I had to excuse myself from the crush of the crowd. I wound up back in the coat rack area, and I found that I could see the stage just fine from there, and there were plenty of benches in there to sit on. I don't know about the other venues, but I'd say the Orange Peel is a friendly environment for people who like to take a break from the mosh pit.

Also, as I understand it, VIP lets you skip the lines, and grants "exclusive viewing areas" in the two auditoriums. So, I would say VIP will probably be pretty great for you! The folks at Moogfest are pretty responsive on the facebook page. So if you want an answer from the source, you could check them out there.

jimbok

Post by jimbok » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I've posted a similar query on the Moogfest FB page. An email to their info URL hasn't gotten a response.
Jim

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote: To keep things OT I am super excited to see primus in 3d, although I'm a little confused if that will just be them in real life or if they are doing some hologram type thing ala tu-pac
1st thing I thought when I read new Primus tour in 3d was, every time I have seen them in the past they were in 3d. It is actually an new light projection, laser-show thingy. Not sure if they will be projected, but they will be on stage. The thing that has me even more excited to check out this tour is two full sets (maybe not at a festie like moogfest) and full quadraphonic sound. I'll be hitting up the Tower Theater show in Philly for sure. Doubt I'll be making moogfest this year.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 am

jimbok wrote:Actually, a related question. My son wants to come out from L.A. and get us VIP tickets for the festival. Great idea, I'm an old-time synth guy now into the Akai EWI and many iPad synth apps. But here's the problem: I've also got old-time legs and can't stand much. Am I going to be unable to sit anywhere without being blocked by standers/dancers (I understand, I was young once, honestly!)? Will VIP help?

Thanks!
I went to Moogfest 2011 with a VIP pass. I didn't have any problems finding a place to sit with a great view of the stage. Asheville is a bit hilly and you might find walking a problem from venue to venue. You might want to have a car for that. But as far as once your in the venue; you should be fine. I highly recommend getting a VIP pass. Another thing, last year the crowds were so polite. I read an article about MF 2011. It praised the Moogfest crowd for it's politeness. I'm hoping that's going to be the same this year. Anyway, Jimbok, I hope to see you there.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 am

OH.........and I just bought my pass. MOOGFEST OR BUST.

jimbok

Post by jimbok » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks for all the replies. My son and I have VIP passes and we'll be there! And the lineup just keeps getting better!