New update crash - BACKUP PRESETS WITH "EXPORT" FIRST!

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.

craig8128

Re: New update crash - BACKUP PRESETS WITH "EXPORT" FIRST!

Post by craig8128 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I gather that the folks at Moog are working on a fix -- hurrah!

But while you guys are in the code -- I'd appreciate some clarity on how we're supposed to import presets into Animoog? On my computer, can I put all of my own presets into folders with my own names and then zip it up and upload the zip file via iTunes? Or, to summarize:

- how do I add my own category folders to the presets?
- if I make a nice pad preset, is there a way I can add it to the already-existing Pads folder on the Animoog?

Thanks!

Craig

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Animoog 1.1.0 crashes here also.

Original iPad running latest iOS, no jailbrake.

Re-installing app solves problem, but looses all previously saved data.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Sorry if not too helpful, but here was my route:

I deleted animoog first, then from the app store did a re-download and update. Worked fine. Using an iPad 3, current iOS.

I did not, however, have any presets to move first, as I am a new user and didnt make any yet or buy any. So perhaps this experience is not typical.

Used a small midi controller (m audio O2 ) and it works great. Really Interesting to control the orbit with physical knobs while controlling other parameters with the touch screen. Truly the best of both worlds. Now to integrate my LP into the mix.

I'm sure Amos will have things sorted out very soon. The CC mapping is simplicity itself. Great fun.

Best, jgirv

AntSev

Post by AntSev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:03 pm

I was able to get back my presents (and also the Halloween stuff). I am so happy. Hopefully this will help someone else also (I have a PC, not a Mac - but should be similar enough). This assumes you have used Animoog's Setup/Export Presents function at some point in the past.

Connect iDevice to computer. Open iTunes. Click on Devices on the left-hand side menu. Click on Apps in top menu. Scroll to the bottom of your screen. There starts a "File Sharing" section. Under Apps is Animoog. Click on it. With any luck you will see "ExportedPresents-date-.zip" file.

Although this is the backup, you can not use it restore directly. (WTF?!)

So here's the trick you need to know:
Copy it to your computer so you can upzip the individual files.
You should see your old friends that you created. If you had the Halloween stuff you'll also see Boo, Cobwebs, etc. It's these individual files that get restored, not the entire zip backup.

Here's how.
Go back to iTunes, and the Animoog Documents. Click the Add button and navigate to where ever you unzipped the individual files. Get them all in iTunes.

Now go back to your iDevice and open the Animoog app. Click on Setup, then Import Presents.
It puts them in that stupid "." directory, not the User directory. (Again, WTF?!)

Honestly, whoever thought this was a good idea, you are just flat out mistaken. This is not user friendly, not intuitively obvious, it's just a big hassle. Come on, life is hard enough, isn't it?

In summary then, the Animoog app needs to see individual files in the iTunes Animoog Documents File Sharing section.

Okay, enough reading. You may now go back to enjoying your noise making endeavours.

AntSev

Post by AntSev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:31 pm

I am only through the "E's," but when they assigned the old presets to the different categories, they seem to have forgot "ChatterBox." So for those that are able to restore from some backup, be sure to keep that one. There is no duplicate in the various categories. Stay tuned in case I find more.

AntSev

Post by AntSev » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Forget about that last message. ChatterBox is there, under EFX. Excuse me, but unless I am going crazy (it is a possibility), preset names are just apearing and disappearing at random. Really try it, just keep pressing one category, then another, then another, then go back to ones you have already done. Are you sure you are getting consistent results? I am not so sure.

supersaw

Post by supersaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 pm

AntSev wrote:Forget about that last message. ChatterBox is there, under EFX. Excuse me, but unless I am going crazy (it is a possibility), preset names are just apearing and disappearing at random. Really try it, just keep pressing one category, then another, then another, then go back to ones you have already done. Are you sure you are getting consistent results? I am not so sure.

Like i mentioned in the bug thread, i'm having the same disappearing preset problem.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 am

Full preset management coming in future; apologies for the extra work required until then.

A v1.1.1 update is already submitted to Apple and is waiting for review. This will resolve the crashing on update from previous version.

SO, if you upated to v1.1.0 and you have custom presets that you don't want to lose,

1) as soon as v1.1.1 is approved, you can update and it will fix the problem, no other steps required and no lost presets
2) you can use the iFunBox software to go into your iPad's file structure and 'rescue' your presets right now. This also lets you create new Category folders and move your presets between folders easily.

All the best, and again my apologies for the inconvenience...

Amos

AntSev

Post by AntSev » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

What is this iFunBox? When I go to the App store, and do a search for that, all I get is iFunSex!
I am sure it is very fun, but that doesn't help with creating categories!

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm

AntSev wrote:What is this iFunBox? When I go to the App store, and do a search for that, all I get is iFunSex!
I am sure it is very fun, but that doesn't help with creating categories!
http://www.i-funbox.com/

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 pm

The BASE Pack (April Fools' Day) was cheap but not free, so it should appear under Restore Purchases too. :lol:

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm

BrufordRules wrote:The BASE Pack (April Fools' Day) was cheap but not free, so it should appear under Restore Purchases too. :lol:
It does, in a sense -- if you purchased the BASE pack while it was available, it will be restored when you Restore Purchases. It just doesn't appear by name since it's no longer for sale in the store.

AntSev

Post by AntSev » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:05 pm

In case it helps, those are the presets with the names that all begin with "1A".
From AlienAirBrakes to WindPower.

craig8128

Post by craig8128 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Amos wrote:Full preset management coming in future; apologies for the extra work required until then.

A v1.1.1 update is already submitted to Apple and is waiting for review. This will resolve the crashing on update from previous version ...

Amos
Thanks Amos, that's great news! Thanks for jumping on the issue, and also thanks for keeping us informed.

(Gee, I wish *all* companies were as responsive to their userbase!)

Craig