Issue with knob

Everything Phatty.
tr34tm3nt

Issue with knob

Post by tr34tm3nt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Recently my filter knob started to act up.

At first it wasn't following the light correctly. Then it progressively got worse, to the point where moving the knob all the way would only shift the light a few spaces. Now the knob barely responds at all, maybe only shifting the light one space every so often.

Did a factory reset and it still having the issue. All of the presets still play okay, just unable to adjust the filter section.

My LP is way out of warranty... how expensive do you think it would be to fix something like this?

Amos

Re: Issue with knob

Post by Amos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:37 am

sounds like it might need the potentiometer beneath the filter knob replaced. this is an inexpensive part, but it might cost you an hour of a repair technician's time to swap in a replacement. You can contact Moog service (techsupport at moogmusic dot com) to purchase a replacement pot and to find out if there is a suggested moog repair person in your area.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 am

Amos, I take the opportunity to ask you wether you know how much would cost the "Value" encoder + shipping to EU. I have a tech near my city.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Don't forget to have the tech add the "washer" reinforcement when getting the push encoder replaced. It made mine a ton more solid (may be only needed on stage 1s, stage 2s may have come with it already, not sure).

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:28 pm

stiiiiiiive: replacement pot $5 USD, replacement Value encoder $7 USD. I don't know about cost of shipping; best to email techsupport at moogmusic dot com and find out how much to ship to your address.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks Amos, I'll do so.

Sir Nose, can you explain what is the "washer" please?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:can you explain what is the "washer" please?
I can explain. The washer in question fits over the Value encoder but beneath the front panel, and fills the gap between the "shoulder" of the encoder housing and the underside of the panel. Once it's pressed in place between the panel and the circuit board, the whole assembly is mechanically stiffer and it spreads the force from knob-turning actions across a wider area, which reduces wear on the encoder bushing.

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Last year I had the same problem with the oscillator knob. I couldn't get full range deflection and it would act on its own. Osc 2 would go out of tune. I had to send it back to the factory. Moog had it for a month but it was worth it. I had the control voltage upgrade as well as the cap re-tuning. I got my LP back in September and I haven't had a problem with it since.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Amos wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:can you explain what is the "washer" please?
I can explain. The washer in question fits over the Value encoder but beneath the front panel, and fills the gap between the "shoulder" of the encoder housing and the underside of the panel. Once it's pressed in place between the panel and the circuit board, the whole assembly is mechanically stiffer and it spreads the force from knob-turning actions across a wider area, which reduces wear on the encoder bushing.
Thanks for the complete answer, Amos :)