MiniMoog-V Original for free - celebrating end agreement?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
e3p0

Re: MiniMoog-V Original for free - celebrating end agreement

Post by e3p0 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I was able to download the software late last night (it became available at midnight Europe time) without a FB. I guess the word got out, and their servers got clogged hence the funnel through FB.

While I am not lucky enough to own a real Mini, this thing is pretty good. I can't say how close it is to the real thing, but I had a blast even with the Google doodle. http://www.google.com/doodles/robert-mo ... h-birthday

It is better than the other soft synths I already have. My LP stage II only has two oscillators to its three, and no chorus or delay. I would much rather have my LP (or a real Model D) handy, but having a young child in the house, a lot of my gear is put away all the time. My cheap midi controller can have baby spit on it and I don't care.

I want to grow up to be a Moog snob, but for now I'll happily take my minimoog V and my LP stage II.

dan thacker

Post by dan thacker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Still waiting for my code.Don't think they'll send it.

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Did you go through the FB rigamarole?

The user agreement says you can put it on as many computers as you want, so long as you only use it on one at a time.
-e

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 pm

That's just stupid. It's free, so how could the number of computers you use it on matter?

:lol:
I've stopped talking now.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:26 am

dan thacker wrote:Still waiting for my code.Don't think they'll send it.
Maybe check your spam box. I got the code immediately !
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:03 am

Got a message on FB that I'll get some code within 48 hours. Nada. And I did check my spam.

Unless of course something happened with the FB email account nonsense people are blogging about. Don't know the deal there but if they changed my Facebook Email without asking, I've not been able to access it since I can't find whatever FB did with it.

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Got my link and authorization code within 48 hours.

Cool bit of software, really like the poly mode.

Default location on the HD didn't allow Sonar to find it, so I wound up copying the .dll files into the vst plugin file in CW and it will now play as a standalone or vst plug in Sonar.

Bummer that the functions under the hood are not accessable. It would be nice to control volume with an expression pedal off my MPK-49 but there doesn't seem to be a way to address the issue in this version of the software. Lack of a Help file is a bit of a drag too.

But hey, free is free!
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:58 pm

I think since Moog is doing software now, it doesn't make much sense for them to continue an agreement that competes with their Animoog and uses Moog's intellectual property while doing so.

Now let's see what becomes of IK multimedia's multimode filter (hopefully a rack mounted version of the same thing).
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm late to this thread and late to install the software but I just did so this morning.

Meh... I suppose if I didn't have any Moog gear (and to be clear, I don't have a Model D), I might be impressed. But scrolling through the patches, which i think are meant to demonstrate how much 'like' a Model D it truly is kind of made me angry.

Every patch had some sort of reverb or stereo delay on it. And that's wrong.

I laid down $179 for the OP-X, the Oberheim OBX VST and like it alot. But I really JUST like the patches that don't have any fancy after effects. If a piece of software is good, it's good at emulating the raw hardware as it was. There needs to be a classic mode on these things. They sort of ruined it for me; I was close to buying the SEM package from them. Now I'm not so sure. Anyone have it or considering it?

However tempting it is to throw everything but the kitchen sink into it, they should also strive for being true to the original. Some people want that.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:15 pm

c7sus wrote:Got my link and authorization code within 48 hours.

Cool bit of software, really like the poly mode.

Default location on the HD didn't allow Sonar to find it, so I wound up copying the .dll files into the vst plugin file in CW and it will now play as a standalone or vst plug in Sonar.

Bummer that the functions under the hood are not accessable. It would be nice to control volume with an expression pedal off my MPK-49 but there doesn't seem to be a way to address the issue in this version of the software. Lack of a Help file is a bit of a drag too.

But hey, free is free!
You are right though, free is free and here I am (on my reply above) whining like a baby.

As for your MPK exp pedal question, I haven't tried it but you ought to investigate LEARN mode, I'm pretty sure if you config the exp pedal to just send cc7 for volume, that the Arturia vst will just listen to it without 'learning'. But as fallback, that ought to do it for you.

If you don't have any luck, I'll see what I can do with my Novation (similar exp input functionality) and get back to you.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!