Can I Answer any MF-104M Questions?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
redeyeflight

Re: Can I Answer any MF-104M Questions?

Post by redeyeflight » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for answering some questions man...very awesome of you! Does the mf-104m use nos Panasonic chips or are they the new cool audio ones?
Having done the spillover mod on my 104z I definately notice a difference in the bypassed signals tone when the spillover mod is engaged...is this also true on the 104m?
Thanks again!

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:06 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Alien8 wrote:1) When switching between tempos via the Tap Tempo switch, does the tempo rate change immediately, or can it be more of a gradual change - a la Leslie? Is this the slew setting in the manual?
Yup, that's precisely what the Slew Tempo Rate parameter is for. It goes from instantaneous to a few seconds of slew.
Alien8 wrote:2) Can you "play" the delay feedback like in your ClusterFlux demo?
Yes, but the significantly longer delay times in the MF-104M means that you're not hearing "pitched" feedback like on the ClusterFlux. It's more of a rapid way to change delay times. Both units observe the "1 octave = 2x Delay Time" formula.
Alien8 wrote:3) How controllable is the self oscillation? Is it as easy to let it linger in the background for example as the 104z?
As an experiment, I fed an M and a Z the exact same source, matched their gains and Delay Times as close as I could, and sent one to the left speaker and one to the right.

In this test, I found that it was far easier to keep a delayed sound going as a pad on the MF-104M than either of the two MF-104Zs that I had. The MF-104Zs tended to get garbled or "clacky" over time while the MF-104M just kept going and going.
Alien8 wrote:4) If someone didn't use MIDI, and already has a MF-104Z & an MF-108M, do you see value in switching units, or duplication? I guess I'm asking with respect to the the sound quality, manual playability etc. as I realize there are specific features that set the Z / SD / M apart like tap tempo etc.
In every case I personally preferred the Z to the M every time. When I played a piano sample into both I was surprised at how much more the first piano echo sounded "like a piano" on the MF-104M. Plus Spillover Mode, Extreme Delay Times (with quirks), Tap Tempo, lower noise floor, and the ability to create delicious Chorus effects with Echo make it a no-brainer. But that's only my personal preference.
You preferred the Z to the M every time? Is that a typo?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:57 pm

aaronharmon wrote:
_DemonDan_ wrote:In every case I personally preferred the Z to the M every time.
Ohhh Crap! I read and re-read everything and still screwed it up.

TO BE CLEAR:
In every case I personally preferred the new MF-104M over the MF-104Z every time.
{I corrected it on my original post.}

(Thanks, Aaron!!!)
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 pm

In advance of getting any cynical posts questioning my allegiance to any company about these matters:

Those who know me know that Delays are among my favorite performance "instruments".

I think of them and perform with them, not as effects processors, but as methods of creating sound.

I stand behind the delays I like (Moogerfoogers, Strymon Delays, DigiTech TimeBender, etc., and,
for the price, the Visual Sound Axle Grease) and I will not say anything about the ones I don't like...( see? ) ;-)

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:48 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
aaronharmon wrote:
_DemonDan_ wrote:In every case I personally preferred the Z to the M every time.
Ohhh Crap! I read and re-read everything and still screwed it up.

TO BE CLEAR: In every case I personally preferred the new MF-104M over the MF-104Z every time.
{I corrected it on my original post.}

(Thanks, Aaron!!!)

No prob, It forced me to double take because I thought you meant it the other way around. Especially after reading the rest of the post : )

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank-you Dan! Excellent responses! I am going to have to break the bank for this one! It sounds like they have lived up to the "we want to give everyone the delay they have asked for for all these years!" statement.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Dan, it happens :) thanks for the post.

I'm thinking the 104M will be a nice addition to my other delays ( 104 SD, DD20 RE20, Lexicon MX200... the ones in the SE50...:)

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 am

I was hoping my next delay would be a re-201,301 or 501. Damn you Moog :D I've wanted another 104? for the internal loop on my 104z.

David Bulog

Post by David Bulog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Lets hope the 104Z comes down in used price which was pushed up by Ebay fever :)

12ax7heaven

Post by 12ax7heaven » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm

I've perused the manual and am curious about one thing that I feel like I'm not understanding. It looks like the tap tempo gives you 1/4 notes and the midi gives you a delay sync option and lfo sync option with different time signatures, I'm just wondering if there is a way to have different delay time signatures (ie: dotted 1/8) via tap or midi.

Cheers

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 am

Hi Dan,
I wanted to ask if the drive ciruit of the mf104 m sounds the same as the one on the 105m
thanks for sharing.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 am

scimmiamk wrote:Hi Dan,
I wanted to ask if the drive ciruit of the MF-104M sounds the
same as the one on the MF-105M .
Hmmm.... Don't know. I'll have to compare them.

Your question made me realize that I didn't compare the DRIVE
of the M against the Z when I had them side-by-side. I was far
more concerned with getting the volumes of both units identical
whether they were On or Bypassed.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:06 pm

thanks for all the info, Dan. I'm looking forward to playing with mine, as it will be my first Moog delay.
I do, however share the affinity for delays, haha, I have: line 6 DL4 and Echopark, Boss DD-20, Boss RE-20, Pigtronix Echolution, EHX DMM, and coming soon, MF-104m. :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 am

Is there any difference in the input signals from the Z and the M? I notice that extreme highs and lows won't get delayed by my Z.

Can you make a demo of the Midi functionality? Forgive me if there is one already. I've been out-of-pocket.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:04 am

EricK wrote:Is there any difference in the input signals from the Z and the M?
I notice that extreme highs and lows won't get delayed by my Z.
Can you make a demo of the MIDI functionality?
Hi Eric,

Give a listen to the 14 Guitar->MF-104M audio examples. I tried
to make each of them show something about the pedal's true
sonic character.

You should also check out some of my earlier posts in this thread
about the realtime Z vs. M shootout I had.

I just finished a long YouTube video showing lots of MIDI Control
via a Novation ZeRO SL MkII as well as Voltage Control using my
EtherWave Plus.

You can watch it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74S-FgRdtoY
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.