Hiss from mag pickups

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
BobTheDog

Re: Hiss from mag pickups

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 am

Simple test when you are there, use the moog, then use a cheap strat copy. My bet is you will prefer the sound of the strat copy!

If you decide on one then I am thinking of selling my black E1-M with trem,I'm on the south coast near Brighton pm me if you are interested.

beard

Post by beard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 am

I was thinking of a black E1-M but I hate trems so thanks for the offer... anyways your guit is faulty! :wink:

Just thinking to myself though while reading through the specs, How can they state these specs and get all these people loving it and even endorsing it when it behaves like this? Is it a case of some people not being fussy about odd noises and others being really fussy about small noise issues?
No disrespect to you or any other person but it's really hard to gauge how bad this is. I'll just have to try it out I guess and see where I am in my generalisation but i'm sure i'll be more fussy than accepting when this kind of money is at stake.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:43 am

This is from moog:

Hi Andrew-
I did get a little chance to look into this. I spoke with our main guitar engineer, and his response was:

The magnetic pickups are "noisier" than the piezo's by nature. This is why the noise goes away upon blending the piezo or switching pickup setting. The pickup noise should be similar to white noise, and be relatively close to the noise floor. In my experience, it's only noticeable when not playing, with the amp turned up.

If it is an unbearable noise than we could take a look at it for you, but it appears to be the nature of the guitar.

Hope this helps.
Best,
Rosser

beard

Post by beard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 am

hmmm does not sound promising!

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 am

Just got mine out to make some sound clips for you and the bloody piezo has stopped working and there is loud humming when the midi volume knob is touched!

Maybe there is a battery inside somewhere that has gone flat, nothing in the manual!

I have contacted support, when I get it fixed I will make some recordings for you.

Andy

beard

Post by beard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:19 pm

thanks Andy and if I try one before you do i'll post up my thoughts.

antcarrier

Post by antcarrier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:18 am

there is a battery that powers the piezo pickup.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Any idea where it is?

I have taken both back covers off and cannot see a battery anywhere.

I have an E1-M

Thanks for any help

Andy

antcarrier

Post by antcarrier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:35 am

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery ... stom/s307/

Look at the picture of the back of the guitar. The battery goes in the bottom right compartment.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:42 am

Thanks I will have another look, just looked like a pcb when I looked before.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 am

Nope no battery there, just a graphtech pcb with loads of little wires.

I think the E1-M is different to the E1.

I have put a support email in, lets see if they answer. My guess is something has gone wrong!

Thanks for your help

Andy

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Moog have got back in touch, looks like an internal issue and its going back to be sorted.

I will put a note in about the noisy pickups as well hopefully they can look into that as well.

Cheers

Andy

beard

Post by beard » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 am

Thats real good news, hope it gets sorted.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

I have to say that the hiss is not an issue for me. If you're running higher gain levels, I suppose you might want to invest in an ISP Decimator to knock the hiss out . . . but otherwise, you certainly can't hear it when playing this amazing instrument.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't think you could say that about my one, I don't use high gain settings at all. The noise floor is extremely high at low gain settings.

Moog support have been excellent over my recent problem and are going to investigate the noise from the pickups as well, I will be so pleased if there is an issue with it and they can fix it as I like the guitar really, the piezo output is very nice, the midi tracking is excellent and use with my VG-99 is top rate; but the mag pups are unusable for me.

I should probably have got them to look at the noise issue before. I will let you all know the outcome.

Cheers

Andy