The good and the bad

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Gamaliel

The good and the bad

Post by Gamaliel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:34 pm

This is the bad part of the review.

1)I didn't receive the extra sets of strings that was promised when I ordered the guitar.

2) There is a toggle switch cap that is lose,not a deal breaker but @ 6000 clams this should have been addressed.In fact @ 6000 clams this shouldn't happen.

3) I realize that Moog is a keyboard company,but you should send out the guitars in concert tuning.This way we know that the neck is stable.I popped the the high string while tuning the guitar,so this review is without the high e and without a replacement.

Now the good

1) The pups without Vo power sound great;to my ears almost a p90 sound

2) The overall guitar is well made the action is low and setup is good.In fact I may keep the .011 strings as bending is not a problem.Not what I like in string gauge, but extremely playable.

3) The Vo electronic's are killa.There is so many playing possibilities,that I dont know where to begin.

I now know what Lou Reed meant when he said this changes everything.Tapping, complex chords,drones,not to mention dobro,banjo and beyond this guitar has been a revelation for me ,and all this without stompboxes,and a e string.

Hope this first impression helps you all,including the rants.
You can never have too many musical instruments.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:40 am

Lou Reed sucks.

Sorry, just saw him live at MIM and he sucked really bad. I tried really hard to appreciate it but jeez, lodged in between buddy guy and Santana he was really lacking.

ROb Wasserman is always good on bass though.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:53 am

I thought this thread was about the guitar.

Gam, Thanks for your review. I would be interested in seeing some video of the guitar in action.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 am

It's awesome with only 5 strings? Incredible! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 am

Sweetwater overnighted some moog strings for me,I now have a e string.
Theremint if yer reading this the aqua colour is not as greenish in person as it is in the pictures.Infact it's more of a teal colour,more blue than green.

Voltar,I was going to try a e string off some strings I had,but they were gold plated and I wasn't sure if they'd work with the Vo power.Yesterday I played thru a vox ad5 mini amp.I like to do that with any guitar I get.If it sounds good thru a small 125.00 amp it'll sound way better with my other amps.
Today I'm trying a vintage setup with the moog.Chicago Blues Box Buddy Guy Signature amp,fulltone tape echo,fulltone dejavibe,eternity love pedal,maybe a treble booster,and a octavia.I have a lot of fuzz boxes around so I may mess with them.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 am

Gamaliel wrote:Sweetwater overnighted some moog strings for me,I now have a e string.
Theremint if yer reading this the aqua colour is not as greenish in person as it is in the pictures.Infact it's more of a teal colour,more blue than green.

Voltar,I was going to try a e string off some strings I had,but they were gold plated and I wasn't sure if they'd work with the Vo power.Yesterday I played thru a vox ad5 mini amp.I like to do that with any guitar I get.If it sounds good thru a small 125.00 amp it'll sound way better with my other amps.
Today I'm trying a vintage setup with the moog.Chicago Blues Box Buddy Guy Signature amp,fulltone tape echo,fulltone dejavibe,eternity love pedal,maybe a treble booster,and a octavia.I have a lot of fuzz boxes around so I may mess with them.
How much do gold-plated strings go for these days? I should be surprised, but I'm not. :lol: I'm curious to know how it would sound through my Pignose. Have you got a Pignose? :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:55 pm

They used to be about 18.00 a set for .009's,now I think it's 25.00 a set.I get them at www.juststrings.com they used to be called maxima but now it's I think it's called optima.Great strings and they last forever.I had a original pignose back in the day,can't remember what happened to it.Fun lil amp.A friend of mine has one of the bigger 40 watt ones and it sounds pretty good :)

Theremint

Thank for the info

Post by Theremint » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Gamaliel,
Thanks for the review. I actually like more bluish than greenish, I think, so the color should be fine. I'll see in two weeks when mine arrives. I am hoping the Vo guitar will sound great with my Orange Tiny terror combo or my Bose L1. I'll give a bit of a review on mine too when I get it. I may even videotape the event and post it on Youtube.

Theremint

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Gamaliel wrote:They used to be about 18.00 a set for .009's,now I think it's 25.00 a set.I get them at www.juststrings.com they used to be called maxima but now it's I think it's called optima.Great strings and they last forever.I had a original pignose back in the day,can't remember what happened to it.Fun lil amp.A friend of mine has one of the bigger 40 watt ones and it sounds pretty good :)
Thanks for the info! :mrgreen:

Stuartpa

Agreed

Post by Stuartpa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

EricK wrote:Lou Reed sucks.

Sorry, just saw him live at MIM and he sucked really bad. I tried really hard to appreciate it but jeez, lodged in between buddy guy and Santana he was really lacking.

ROb Wasserman is always good on bass though.

Eric
Yup it is pretty bad when you lay out 6K and they did not even put the front strap holder one. O know it's not a big deal, but how would you feel about drilling into your 6K guitar, not at the easiest location either.

I am going to try those Thomastick Infeld PowerBrights on mine as soon as the medium gauge's that i got go dead. I hope they work as that man is the the string to use. Not the Sliders but the Power Brights, and thank God for Juststrings.com

Never could stand Lou Reed, never figured out how come he made it. I guess most of them in those days were actually just starting out playing and some of them actually figured it out, and some never did.
Stu

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:02 am

Stuartpa,how are the mediums working out for you,did you notice any change in the Vo power?

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Ironically, Lou Reed is the only artist I've seen mentioned on these forums that I think doesn't suck. I'll take some blown out Velvet Underground over prog wankery any day. And I'll take said prog wankery any day over Santana. That crap is intolerable at best.

Technical proficiency over an instrument does not render you a worthwhile artist.

Stuartpa

Medium Strings

Post by Stuartpa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Gamaliel wrote:Stuartpa,how are the mediums working out for you,did you notice any change in the Vo power?
Hi Gamaliel, they are a lot better for my playing style, I really hate tearing my fingernails out on Heavies.

Depending on how you have the guitar setup, will depend on whether or not you notice any real difference in the strings.
I noticed that I had to increase the VO Power for the top E, only, none of the rest area affected at all. You might need to alter the setup of the guitar as you may get a little fret buzz on the D and A strings, which in reality are almost the same as the ones in the heavy set in any case, and the bottom E is exactly the same as the one in the heavy set so no changes there.
To summarize, I would say that for a full sustain in the middle or intelligent sustainer setting that you will probably need a little more VO Power. Not a lot and there is plenty to spare.

How are you liking it?.

It sure needs a diffferent style of playing to take advantage of all its tricks doesn't it. I have found the Mooger Fooger to be an excellent addition to it, and will probably add in their Analog Delay, even though I have several others to mess with.

I am trying to get the Moog Guitar to be the center piece of an entirely different setup that is all Moog, no Simulations Amp package and all that. Just a real sound from a real axe with some neat tricks on it, and above all no diigital unitl of course the recording part, I can't warrant keeping all the analog gear up to date. tape parts are real hard ot find these days, and as everyone seems to think that an MP3 is quality audio, I sometimes wonder why I bought the Digidesign gear. Native seems fine by all accounts these days.

I really hope you enjoy the Axe and if you do want to mess with a set of lights as well, give me some place to send you a set, I have 12 of them. I will be using a set or 2 for myself to experimant with, but I don't think I will be heading down that road.

Stuart

8) 8)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:35 pm

LeRoi wrote:
Ironically, Lou Reed is the only artist I've seen mentioned on these forums that I think doesn't suck. I'll take some blown out Velvet Underground over prog wankery any day. And I'll take said prog wankery any day over Santana. That crap is intolerable at best.

Technical proficiency over an instrument does not render you a worthwhile artist.
I like old Santana and prog wankery. New Santana is absolute CRAP! :evil:

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Stuartpa,many thanks for the info,I had figured that the high e might need a lil more Vo power,and it sure does have enough to spare.It also has me exploring different techniques.I've never been much into tapping or using the whammy bar that much,but I find myself doing it alot more now.Specially tapping out different chord structures.Looks like I'll have to get a few floogers as well,l'm thinking a freq box to start off with,followed by a murf :) The guitar likes effects,especially delays and chorus type stuff.Funny it liked fuzz effects better than distortion,but maybe I just needed to fine tune it more.