Lefty?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
blave

Lefty?

Post by blave » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:48 am

I think I know the answer, but I have to axe: Any plans to build a lefty version?

I want one. I like the way it looks (although if the horns were less pointy I'd be happier), I like the choice of the Wilkinson trem (which I have on my two most favorite guitars), I like what can be done with this amazing instrument.

I don't like the price, but... I'm still thankful that Moog has chosen to go down this path, no matter what some might say about making only keyboard instruments.

---

So, if the answer to my original question is "no" - which I am pretty used to after 35 years - are there any plans to make the electronics available to luthiers who could build a lefty around it? (Or - as importantly - are there limitations to the electronic design that wouldn't work if the strings are flipped around?)

thanks,

Dave B.

Voltor07

Re: Lefty?

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 am

blave wrote:I think I know the answer, but I have to axe: Any plans to build a lefty version?

I want one. I like the way it looks (although if the horns were less pointy I'd be happier), I like the choice of the Wilkinson trem (which I have on my two most favorite guitars), I like what can be done with this amazing instrument.

I don't like the price, but... I'm still thankful that Moog has chosen to go down this path, no matter what some might say about making only keyboard instruments.

---

So, if the answer to my original question is "no" - which I am pretty used to after 35 years - are there any plans to make the electronics available to luthiers who could build a lefty around it? (Or - as importantly - are there limitations to the electronic design that wouldn't work if the strings are flipped around?)

thanks,

Dave B.
Wow, a guitarist who likes the way it looks...makes me look pretty dumb :oops: But anyways...you are only the second person to bring the lefty issue up. I expect that if they DID offer a lefty, it would cost as much as an Alembic Tribute, while keeping all the stylings of an Ibanez offset double cutaway. AKA-Strat Lookalike. :? Just my 2 cents.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Elhardt

Post by Elhardt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:29 pm

I've never understood why a very tiny portion of guitarists play a backwards/lefty guitar. The number seems so small that off the top of my head, Paul McCartney is the only one I can think of, although I did see one other a few weeks ago on TV. All other instruments come in only one version and people learn to play them that way. Seems odd that a very small percentage of guitarists need a backwards instrument. I might point out that guitars and all other instruments are designed the way they are because that's the way they feel the most natural and comfortable. How awkward it would be to use the left hand to strum and pluck.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Elhardt wrote:I've never understood why a very tiny portion of guitarists play a backwards/lefty guitar. The number seems so small that off the top of my head, Paul McCartney is the only one I can think of, although I did see one other a few weeks ago on TV. All other instruments come in only one version and people learn to play them that way. Seems odd that a very small percentage of guitarists need a backwards instrument. I might point out that guitars and all other instruments are designed the way they are because that's the way they feel the most natural and comfortable. How awkward it would be to use the left hand to strum and pluck.
A left-handed person would find it quite difficult to play right-handed. Paul McCartney is left-handed. Jimi Hendrix also was left-handed. Which is why most guitar companies make left-handed guitars. Because, unlike you, they understand that a left-handed person requires a left-handed instrument. Why don't you try playing left-handed? It's the same feeling a left-handed person has when they play right-handed.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm left handed, and a guitar player. I play right (standard) handed guitars. My instinct was to play a left guitar, but my dad said otherwise.

"I own right handed guitars, your 8, when you are old enough to buy a left handed guitar, you can play left handed. For now, if you want to play, this is what you get."

Funny I never did buy that lefty, and it didn't take me long to figure it out either.

Anyways, back on topic: Speaking of Hendrix, can't you just flip the guitar over and reverse the strings? I'm not being a jerk, being a left handed individual, there should be a left version, but seeing as left handers are "more creative and generally smarter" people we come up with innovative ways to do things :D
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Alien8 wrote:I'm left handed, and a guitar player. I play right (standard) handed guitars. My instinct was to play a left guitar, but my dad said otherwise.

"I own right handed guitars, your 8, when you are old enough to buy a left handed guitar, you can play left handed. For now, if you want to play, this is what you get."

Funny I never did buy that lefty, and it didn't take me long to figure it out either.

Anyways, back on topic: Speaking of Hendrix, can't you just flip the guitar over and reverse the strings? I'm not being a jerk, being a left handed individual, there should be a left version, but seeing as left handers are "more creative and generally smarter" people we come up with innovative ways to do things :D
You are SO right about that! My girlfriend is the smartest blonde you could ever hope to find, and she's left handed. I myself am ambidexterous, especially with guitar. I can't play left or right handed. :wink:

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Sorry ,but Jimi Hendrix played lefty but in fact he was right handed.According to his sister he played lefty because it felt more natural to him.Same reason I play righty,but I'm left handed.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Gamaliel wrote:Sorry ,but Jimi Hendrix played lefty but in fact he was right handed.According to his sister he played lefty because it felt more natural to him.Same reason I play righty,but I'm left handed.
Huh...interesting...thanks! :oops:

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:44 pm

If Jimi were alive to see how his sister raped his image he would be spinning in his grave.

"People always try to wrap me up in celophane and sell me. Brother sell me but don't worry about looking at the score" -Hendrix
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

garageman

Post by garageman » Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 am

Gamaliel wrote:Sorry ,but Jimi Hendrix played lefty but in fact he was right handed.According to his sister he played lefty because it felt more natural to him.Same reason I play righty,but I'm left handed.

that's because he was forced to write with his right hand in school which was normal back in the first half of the 20th century. He was a natural lefty, hence his preference for his stronger left hand for strumming.

Gearhead

Lefty? Left! Lefty Model E??

Post by Gearhead » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I contacted Moog on that question. This is the answer:

Not at this time, however the Engineers are well aware of this request. I'm sure sometime down the road it will be an option.

So, is there hope? I'm not sure...

cheers