Roland Gk-3 on it

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
georgeludwig

Post by georgeludwig » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Theramint, coupla questions..

I tried the GK-3 install on mine near the bridge and was really precise about the spacing. The biggest problem I had was a massive hum coming through the GK-3 output. I assumed it was due to the EMF generated by the Moog. Is my GK-3 defective, or did you experience something similar?

Also, the tape that came with the pickup seemed plenty strong, no needto drill in to the guitar just for mounting. Also, a friend mentioned to a Moog peep that I was going to mount a GK-3 on it, and the Moog guy said something like "you can't drill in to this thing...there are electronics everywhere". Just a head's up!

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 pm

I've watched this thread for a while and I think I'll chime in. I presently run an old Moog IIP from (among other things) a Variax 700 with a GK3 mounted (with tape) running an Axon AX50 guitar to midi, then (through my DAW) to a Kenton ProII. Both the Moog guitar and Variax use piezio pickups mounted in the bridge saddles. But I suspect that the problem people are having is that the electromagnetic field used my the Moog Guitar to excite the strings may well "fool" the pitch to midi converters and diminish the tracking response. I can tell everyone unequivocally that I tried placing the GK3 all over the face of the guitar trying to get the best tracking possible and the closer to the bridge without actual contact, the better it works. What I'd really LOVE to see is for Moog to install a hex-buffer circuit in the guitar so the pizeo pickups can drive a midi output circuit like the RMC or iGuitar, then add a few midi-assignable switches and knobs. I was actually thinking of trying to do it myself with the Variax, but I just don't have the time. But Moog... if you're listening... I'd buy that in a heartbeat and you'd have the ULTIMATE guitar controller ... :<)

Theremint

just a recap of sorts here

Post by Theremint » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I found the best spot to TAPE the GK-3 to be smack dab right in the center of the 2 pick ups. The only problem there, is, that my fingers keep bumping into it when I strum or pick. The tape is plenty strong as mentioned, I just took the whole Gk-3 off a week ago and turns out the finish on the guitar is even stronger then the tape. There were no battle wounds on the guitar from the tape at all. It is just like new, and that bad boy was on there with the industrial strength tape for about 3 months. I agree that if Moog ever introduces a 13 pin digital interface, then Pete Townsend and many others can stop shlepping their dozen or so guitars to every concert they do. They will only need the one Moog with a 13 Pin jack. I am reverting back to my iguitar for 13 pin connectivity as the tracking on the Moog did seem to have some tracking cut off with the magnetic field being a bit strong. But I must say it was about 80% there. Just that 20% blanking out would happen sometimes during lead solo's at the most inopportune times. Well back to the drawing board. I am entertaining the thought of making a brace that will go over the bridge area to hook up the GK-3. Just don't have the time to get into it right now.

Happy Trails,

Therermint

vanceg

Post by vanceg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 am

georgeludwig wrote:Theramint, coupla questions..

I tried the GK-3 install on mine near the bridge and was really precise about the spacing. The biggest problem I had was a massive hum coming through the GK-3 output. I assumed it was due to the EMF generated by the Moog. Is my GK-3 defective, or did you experience something similar?

Also, the tape that came with the pickup seemed plenty strong, no needto drill in to the guitar just for mounting. Also, a friend mentioned to a Moog peep that I was going to mount a GK-3 on it, and the Moog guy said something like "you can't drill in to this thing...there are electronics everywhere". Just a head's up!
I am experiencing something very similar with my new E1. I suspect this is, indeed, the magnetic field being generated by the pickups bleeding into the GK. I have tried moving the GK to any possible location on the guitar and haven't found a good location for it, yet. I will, though, figure this issue out.

Vance

saivenkat

Post by saivenkat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:07 am

I've been thinking the same thing. I've got a GK-3 lying around from a GR-20 purchase, but I've got a Godin Multiac Jazz, so the GK-3 was redundant.
[url=http://www.milkhoneyland.com/mp3-players-c-30.html]discount mp3 players[/url]

Ted Killian

Re: Roland Gk-3 on it

Post by Ted Killian » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:27 am

I am a long time Roland guitar synth user. I don't own a Moog E1-M guitar yet, but I am moving in that direction rapidly. I own both Roland GR and VG units and I'm curious about how well the E1-M will work with either one or both. Any word from anyone in regard to their experiences in this area would be a help. On a side note, my current long-time "main" guitar is a '77 Gibson RD Artist - a guitar that was originally equipped with a huge circuit board in the back (designed by Bob Moog no less) that gave it onboard preamp, compression and expansion capabilities. Sound familiar?

cliffman

Re: Roland Gk-3 on it

Post by cliffman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

It works about the same as any 13-pin equipped guitar I've used, should be fine. One note - the piezo -> 13 pin wiring
appears to be quite separate from the rest of the guitar circuitry - I can use the 13 pin out without plugging
the guitar into it's power supply. (Of course no Moog sustain without power)