down the road w/ this technology

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
andrewh

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:41 pm

georgeludwig wrote: If Moog and Gibson sold those electronics separately, I would buy them in a second and have this guitar built without a second thought.

yes! roland sold the guts for their g- series guitar controllers seperately- (before the gk2 etc), saw it on ebay once- the circuit board, pickup, and 24 pin jack assembly- to combine this with the new moog technology in a guitar of my choosing would be too insane- a true Fripp killer. also, check this out

http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/gr300 ... eport.html

mark smart has officially blown my mind and modded the gr300 to have cv, gate, audio, and env follower outs for each string!! the gr300 can now control ANYTHING (well, his is the only one that can, but he's giving the schems to the world for free in the name of science). that, combined with the moogtar, is the most interesting musical possibility I can think of, no hyperbole.

think: the most perfect tracking guitar synth + infinite modular possibility + the realization of the infinite sustain guitar =

andrewh

and

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:04 pm

so hey, Amos, if you're still scanning this thread, check out the aforementioned mark smart link(if you please)- this could be a great excuse for you guys to produce that memorymoog voyager, or something akin- imagine

a rackmount, 6 voice polysynth with vx351/2 ish input/ output modules( well definitely input at least). The input vx-thing could have 6 sets of cv, gate, env inputs, to be controlled by a moog guitar with roland gr technology- one voice per string

so: imaginary moog/roland gr guitar>>>roland gr300 synth brain>>>6 channel vx style cvinterface>>>new moog 6voice polysynth

that would only cost: mmmmm about 20 grand

BUT

that new buchla stuff costs way more, and I'm sure their operation is smaller than yours.

AND everyone IS clamoring for a moog polysynth,

SO ACQUIESCE!!!!

thank you

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Voltor07 wrote:I think either a Moog SG (perhaps add robotic tuners...that would be awesome!) or Peavey would be good for Moog, though all Gibson has anymore is the name...the quality is no longer there.

Peavey's factory is set up so that all workers MUST wear anti static leg bands. Very sensitive equipment, very fine tolerances, mass production, which is why they have little to no resale value. Just my thought, if Moog wants to go with a Stage Edition Moog guitar.

EDIT: The Peavey Generation series(tele) looks promising as a base to go on, as does the PXD Tomb model. Or maybe the Explorer looking thing.
RE: Peavey
http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=1
"this thing is amazingly fragile"
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:48 am

DeFrag wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:I think either a Moog SG (perhaps add robotic tuners...that would be awesome!) or Peavey would be good for Moog, though all Gibson has anymore is the name...the quality is no longer there.

Peavey's factory is set up so that all workers MUST wear anti static leg bands. Very sensitive equipment, very fine tolerances, mass production, which is why they have little to no resale value. Just my thought, if Moog wants to go with a Stage Edition Moog guitar.

EDIT: The Peavey Generation series(tele) looks promising as a base to go on, as does the PXD Tomb model. Or maybe the Explorer looking thing.
RE: Peavey
http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=1
"this thing is amazingly fragile"
I used to work for Six Flags, who exclusively uses Peavey amps and speakers. I recall a conversation with one of the electronics repair guys, who said that, "The thing with Peavey is, sometimes it won't work out of the box, but once it's repaired, it'll last forever. We still have amps from 1976 still in service in Theatre Royale that we've never been called to repair." My amp that I use regularly is from 1986, and has seen better days. Tolex is falling off in some places, dents, dings, broken knob on the LOW MID pot, rusty screws, etc. But it works, and works well.

When the speaker finally goes,(soon, hopefully; stupid coaxial so and so) I have a backup as well as a tweeter to retrofit in there. My best friend has an '89 bass that seems to have held up quite well. He likes it almost as much as his pre-Ernie Ball Music Man. So their basses at least are good. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:51 am

I still think it would be awesome for Moog and Alembic to collaborate!

vier-personen

Post by vier-personen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 pm

I vote for a jerry jones longhorn bass4 or a electrical guitar company standard bass with moog pickups!

any bass really, but affordable!

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Well maybe Fernandes could 'sleep with the enemy' and produce something. i have a Dave Kushner Signature Ravelle with Sustainer pickup and it's beaut. i wouldn't normally go for a green guitar, but believe me chaps, the ladies love it. As an Ebow user too you can tell that the Moog Guitar is for me, bar two things: as mentioned the *ugh* aesthestics and the 'Signature' price tag. i can only assume they are going to produce some standard models at a later date.

One of these coupled with my new Taurus pedals (if they happen) would make me invincible (well... :roll: )

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well maybe Fernandes could 'sleep with the enemy' and produce something. i have a Dave Kushner Signature Ravelle with Sustainer pickup and it's beaut. i wouldn't normally go for a green guitar, but believe me chaps, the ladies love it. As an Ebow user too you can tell that the Moog Guitar is for me, bar two things: as mentioned the *ugh* aesthestics and the 'Signature' price tag. i can only assume they are going to produce some standard models at a later date.

One of these coupled with my new Taurus pedals (if they happen) would make me invincible (well... :roll: )
Cool guitar! very future retro!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote: One of these coupled with my new Taurus pedals (if they happen) would make me invincible (well... :roll: )

Im thinking on a SYstem 55, youll spend a lifetime of never bathing or shaving and eventually youll find the patch that creates world peace...then youll die of some kind of fungal infection before you can hit the key.
:(

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Sweep

Re: down the road w/ this technology

Post by Sweep » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 am

Voltor07 wrote:Roland and Fender are both mediocre companies that sell overpriced, mediocre products.
Sorry to go a little off topic, but this needs replying to.

I own a Roland V-Synth, which is truly amazing - the best synth I've ever played, with the greatest possibilities for sound variation, and excellent sound quality.

As for being overpriced: the sound possibilities are so vast that I'll probably still be making new sounds with it long after I've forgotten what it cost. And it cost less than my Voyager.

As for Fender, there are a lot of good guitars around, and I coud probably get by with something cheaper than the USA Strat I bought. On the other hand I tried a couple of Mexican Strats as well as a few USA ones, and the build and sound quality was very impressive. I paid twice as much just to get a bit of extra feel to the instrument. I could have got a really good Fender guitar for a lot less. Yes, this guitar was a bit pricey, but it certainly isn't medicre. I also played the Anniversary special edition Strat one time, and the feel of that instrument certainly justfied the higher price tag.

It really depends on what someone wants. You can make good music with relatively cheap instruments. I make music with very cheap fairly traded instruments and with cheap or even free VST softsynths, and sometimes those are just the right instruments. At other times what's needed is a more expensive Roland or Fender instrument - or a rather pricey Moog. But mediocre? Not at all, in my experience.

Voltor07

Re: down the road w/ this technology

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Sweep wrote:I own a Roland V-Synth, which is truly amazing - the best synth I've ever played, with the greatest possibilities for sound variation, and excellent sound quality.

As for being overpriced: the sound possibilities are so vast that I'll probably still be making new sounds with it long after I've forgotten what it cost. And it cost less than my Voyager.

As for Fender, there are a lot of good guitars around, and I coud probably get by with something cheaper than the USA Strat I bought. On the other hand I tried a couple of Mexican Strats as well as a few USA ones, and the build and sound quality was very impressive. I paid twice as much just to get a bit of extra feel to the instrument. I could have got a really good Fender guitar for a lot less. Yes, this guitar was a bit pricey, but it certainly isn't medicre. I also played the Anniversary special edition Strat one time, and the feel of that instrument certainly justfied the higher price tag.

It really depends on what someone wants. You can make good music with relatively cheap instruments. I make music with very cheap fairly traded instruments and with cheap or even free VST softsynths, and sometimes those are just the right instruments. At other times what's needed is a more expensive Roland or Fender instrument - or a rather pricey Moog. But mediocre? Not at all, in my experience.
Sorry, gotta clarify my previous statement. :) Fender, IMO, does not make the best instruments in the world. Alembic comes to mind as an example of a premium guitar. Fender, by comparison, is the mass-produced standard. Of course, I couldn't tell the difference between an American Strat and a Mexican one. Or a Fender and a Squire for that matter. They all feel the same to me. Just disregard my ignorance regarding guitars.

Roland IS a mediocre company. Horrible customer service, even worse support. After you buy a Roland, they stop offering support for it because they release a new synth that costs a third less, and does twice as much as the one you bought. A good company they are not. I, for one, will never buy anything from them. For digital synths, I like Kurzweil and Yamaha. Both excellent companies that offer support long after you purchased their instruments. Just my opinion, of course. :wink:

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:52 pm

If this ever gets down to the sub 2k level than I'll definately be picking one up. I can only imagine this kind of technology is eventually going to become industry standard... may be way down the road, but it just makes so much sense. There are so many applications for it in music today.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.