Who'd be interested in a Moog Bass?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
garageman

Who'd be interested in a Moog Bass?

Post by garageman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm

What are your hopes for a Bass version of the Moog Guitar?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:20 pm

To be honest, if I wanted sustaining bass I would probably just use a synth.

Harmonic blend... hmmm, would this work for low frequencies?

Bass technique is usually staccato and the instrument is rarely strummed, so the auto-mute might not be so functional.

Sorry to be so negative/pessimistic, but can you think of any benefits?

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm

I would because I got my start as a bass player. It would have to have these specs though

1. It would have to have at least 6 strings
2. It would have to cost less than 1 thousand dollars per string.

lolol
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Less than a grand per string? Not from Moog! Perhaps you could get Roland to build one? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Perhaps if Kevin Lightner can put some CV ins and outs on this then maybe one of those Moog stickers, cause this is about all I can afford.

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Here's the latest cutting edge in bass guitar technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJTIwFokqA

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:22 pm

HB3 wrote:Here's the latest cutting edge in bass guitar technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJTIwFokqA
Thank you HB3 - as a bassist, this is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile. One of these through a Moogerfooger or two would sound killer!

Stuartpa

Balloon Bass

Post by Stuartpa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:24 am

Well I guess it has to be at least as hard to play as a trombone, but what an amazing sound this guy gets. I wonder if he could keep in key and really do a bass line, he sounds pretty good to me. 8) :oops:

Stuartpa

Adding a GK3

Post by Stuartpa » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:37 am

Well I do have a spare one, the Roland whatever they call that box the VG 66 and the latest Axxon. I just don't know. What's sacrilege anyway?

Looks like there is room for it, with 3 cables coming out of it you could do some killer stuff with it. That's without playing a separate synth as well.

I'll have to see if the Hex Pickup gets messed up by the Moog's Vo system whatever that is.

That would be an out from the Moog guitar to it's pedal, and output for the Piezo that's built in and then the Output from the GK3. God I used to think a Tape Delay was an amazing add on, this would be one incredible system.

Then add a few external controllers and you would have an electronic orchestra at your fingertips.

Jason if you are reading this I really am thinking of doing it so if you know it won't work call me.
Stuart :P :roll:

otolathe

Post by otolathe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 am

not sure this would work. have you ever tried to use e-bow on a bass? strings are too massive to really respond.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm

otolathe wrote:not sure this would work. have you ever tried to use e-bow on a bass? strings are too massive to really respond.
Vo power isn't an e-bow. They could tune the electronics to vibrate thicker strings, and I am positive that it could be done, but at what cost? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

otolathe

Post by otolathe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Voltor, would you happen to know the patent number(s) for Vo Power?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:57 pm

otolathe wrote:Voltor, would you happen to know the patent number(s) for Vo Power?
Not off the top of my head, but it should be easy to find, as patent numbers are public domain. :wink:

otolathe

Post by otolathe » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:51 am

Voltor, if you look up this patent, I think it becomes apparent that what is claimed is that "Vo Power" is a system of controlling signals from a transducer, whether that transducer is electromagnetic or piezoelectric. Therefore, I do not believe that this patent is relevant to the behavior of the more massive bass string in an electromagnetic field. I'm no electrical engineer, but it seems intuitive that you would have to have a stronger electromagnetic field to sustain the vibration of a more massive string. The e-bow may not be capable of this because it is powered by a 9V battery (in contrast, you plug your Moog Guitar into the 120V wall outlet), but certainly this remains a physical consideration for a putative Moog Bass.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:02 pm

otolathe wrote:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/362 ... 76c2_b.jpg

Voltor, if you look up this patent, I think it becomes apparent that what is claimed is that "Vo Power" is a system of controlling signals from a transducer, whether that transducer is electromagnetic or piezoelectric. Therefore, I do not believe that this patent is relevant to the behavior of the more massive bass string in an electromagnetic field. I'm no electrical engineer, but it seems intuitive that you would have to have a stronger electromagnetic field to sustain the vibration of a more massive string. The e-bow may not be capable of this because it is powered by a 9V battery (in contrast, you plug your Moog Guitar into the 120V wall outlet), but certainly this remains a physical consideration for a putative Moog Bass.
Cool, Thanks for that link. :D What you say and what the patent says confirms that a Moog bass could, in fact, be possible. Especially if rare earth magnets are incorporated into the pickup design. That would make the pickups much more powerful. Perhaps changes to the alloy of the string would make it more reactive, as well. However, I tend to agree with latigid on's perspective...if I want sustained bass, I'll just use a synth.