Sorry, but, could this guitar be any uglier?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
jeepo

Post by jeepo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:personally even though its well out of my price range, i dont think its over priced. there are plenty of jazz guitars that are double the price of the moog guitar. and all you get is one pick up, one volume and one tone control (and an extremely wel crafted guitar)

as far as body type, there are way too many sg/strat/lespaul/tele clones out there already so i think its great that they stayed traditional but not typical

one a side note; i always liked the Brian May (from Queen) guitar. it has very verstile electronics and is comfortable to play i think. and long befoe the moog guitar came out i wanted it in either whit wash or a natural wood grain like mahogany or walnut and replace the knobs with moog knobs and the little black switches with the classic red and blue moog style rocker switches 8) Image
I would love a Brian May style moog guitar, and if i had the money I would buy one in a heart beat.

Maybe moog could even just sell the electronics, I bet there would be a market for moog pick ups, especially if they could make them in a standard humbuker size/shape (I suspect that's not possible though). I would be willing to attack my guitar with power tools to make 'em fit, but I don't know how many other people would.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:30 am

I really like the look of the Moog rocker switches on the guitar, however I think that they too sharp and not sturdy enough to stand up to the use of most live guitarists. When I play guitar, I like to have something that conforms easily to my body/hands and can easily be thrown around. When I turn the volume knob on a Les Paul in the heat of battle, I need something that can take a good wacking! If the rocker switches could be made to have slightly rounded edges, a heavier build, and angled slightly on the guitar so you could flick it with your ring finger or pinky while picking, I think that might be a better design. I think it would also be cool to have a latching killswitch on the guitar, not for the stupid Buckethead sounds, but for actually muting it! I have a 90's Aria Pro guitar that currently has a Seymour Duncan Invader (probably the hottest pickup you can get) in the bridge, and I wired it so that the bridge pickup goes directly to the pickup selector toggle switch (the neck pickup and volume and tone pots are disconnected), so whenever you are not playing you can just flick the switch and the output is muted, no unwanted feedback and no unwanted fingers-sliding-across-the-strings.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Sheilala

Post by Sheilala » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 am

jeepo wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:personally even though its well out of my price range, i dont think its over priced. there are plenty of jazz guitars that are double the price of the moog guitar. and all you get is one pick up, one volume and one tone control (and an extremely wel crafted guitar)

as far as body type, there are way too many sg/strat/lespaul/tele clones out there already so i think its great that they stayed traditional but not typical

one a side note; i always liked the Brian May (from Queen) guitar. it has very verstile electronics and is comfortable to play i think. and long befoe the moog guitar came out i wanted it in either whit wash or a natural wood grain like mahogany or walnut and replace the knobs with moog knobs and the little black switches with the classic red and blue moog style rocker switches 8) Image
I would love a Brian May style moog guitar, and if i had the money I would buy one in a heart beat.

Maybe moog could even just sell the electronics, I bet there would be a market for moog pick ups, especially if they could make them in a standard humbuker size/shape (I suspect that's not possible though). I would be willing to attack my guitar with power tools to make 'em fit, but I don't know how many other people would.
The Red special is an absolute beaut of a guitar and the Fryer/Guyton models are about as close as you can get to the original but you also pay for that. The sound it produces comes from a combination of the acoustic chambers in the body and the fact you can turn each individual pickup in or out of phase giving you a good sustain (although not infinate like the moog). It would be very interesting to make a model of the RS with the Moog pickups etc. Some of the design of the RS would have to be changed, for example it would have to be a glued neck rather than a bolt on becasue the bolts would affect the pickups, but apart from that I think it would work. And having the mod wheels as the switches- very cool idea. Now where did I put my drawing board......... :wink:

songspk

Post by songspk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I have just got a Guitar but I can't play it, is there any great site where I can learn playing guitar a bit? :D Thanks
[url=http://www.tubejin.com/songs.aspx]Download Songs[/url] | [url=http://www.smsjin.com/]Free SMS[/url] | [url=http://www.ponkajin.com/]Funny Videos[/url]

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:34 pm

MarbledMoog wrote:you've got to remember Moog is a synth company, not a guitar company. Personally, I think they need a total overhaul of the Moog guitar. Keep all the electronics and guts and working of it, but it needs a vintage-contemporary look, like an SG or Strat, no sharp edges or drastic assemmetry. They need to re-evaulate their price point as well. The guy from Garaj Mahal is so awesome, but no one's playing these because the price is way high for a GUITAR.
The E1's are actually reasonably priced. Its not a squire. You can easily pay upwards of 3,000 for a brand new Les Paul or ES-335 or for a top og the line SG. Some fetch even more than that.

Three thousand dollars will get you a NICE bass as well.

With anything though, you can spend as much as you want on it, but someone who has the money for a 3,000 les paul and is weighing options for guitars is goig to take into consideration looks, feel, and tone. If it doesn't have a good tone its worthless.

All that being said, I think that I personally would want something more contemporary and less 1980's LA Nightclub.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Eoghan

Re: Sorry, but, could this guitar be any uglier?

Post by Eoghan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:05 pm

I cant wait to get mine, I think the look isnt that important, its the sound!

Veeger

Re:

Post by Veeger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:00 am

Voltor07 wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote: it always comes back to chuck norris with you doesnt it lol
And why not? It makes for a good running gag, I believe. :lol:

Voltor, why do you call it an Amos Gaynes Signature Edition?

Voltor07

Re: Re:

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 am

Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote: it always comes back to chuck norris with you doesnt it lol

A better question is, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING? :lol: But seriously. The Amos Gaynes Signature Edition, or SE#1326, is a collaboration between Amos and myself to build the most customized LP in existence. Amos was nice enough to switch out the amber button lights with blue ones, and I put in my own wheel lights following his advice on how to do so. Also, I added coco bolo side panels with brass Moog logos inlaid on the sides, made by a friend's now ex-husband. Not to mention, I had Amos sign the back panel of the LP before it was shipped back from the factory. :) It made more sense than calling it the Custom Tribute Stage OS 2.1
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:

A better question is, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP ASKING? :lol: But seriously. The Amos Gaynes Signature Edition, or SE#1326, is a collaboration between Amos and myself to build the most customized LP in existence. Amos was nice enough to switch out the amber button lights with blue ones, and I put in my own wheel lights following his advice on how to do so. Also, I added coco bolo side panels with brass Moog logos inlaid on the sides, made by a friend's now ex-husband. Not to mention, I had Amos sign the back panel of the LP before it was shipped back from the factory. :) It made more sense than calling it the Custom Tribute Stage OS 2.1
Ok. How explain the Voltor box.... :lol: Your Phatty sounds delightful. So you use the EH #1 Echo? Ever tried the Boss Space Echo? Lovely, even for digital. Just acquired the EH Deluxe Memory Boy.... wow. My first analog delay. Have yet to unleash that on the Etherwave, but that should be cool. Yes.... VOLTOR BOX? Something you invented?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:

Ok. How explain the Voltor box.... :lol: Your Phatty sounds delightful. So you use the EH #1 Echo? Ever tried the Boss Space Echo? Lovely, even for digital. Just acquired the EH Deluxe Memory Boy.... wow. My first analog delay. Have yet to unleash that on the Etherwave, but that should be cool. Yes.... VOLTOR BOX? Something you invented?
The Voltor box is just 8 potentiometers in a project enclosure. Each pot is wired to a TRS jack. I use it for controlling the CV's on the MoogerFoogers, as opposed to buying eight expression pedals. Yes, I have tried the boss space echo, but the EHX #1 Echo was only a hundred bucks, and I like it. Of course, I'd love an MF-104, but sadly, can't afford one at the moment.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:

The Voltor box is just 8 potentiometers in a project enclosure. Each pot is wired to a TRS jack. I use it for controlling the CV's on the MoogerFoogers, as opposed to buying eight expression pedals. Yes, I have tried the boss space echo, but the EHX #1 Echo was only a hundred bucks, and I like it. Of course, I'd love an MF-104, but sadly, can't afford one at the moment.
Where did you get the potentiometers and what are the electrical specs on them? Sounds like a great idea. Also, do you have any clue about obtaining a noise source that I could include in my own Voltor :D box? I'd call it the Veeger Box if I added a noise source.... haha.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 am

Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Veeger wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:

Where did you get the potentiometers and what are the electrical specs on them? Sounds like a great idea. Also, do you have any clue about obtaining a noise source that I could include in my own Voltor :D box? I'd call it the Veeger Box if I added a noise source.... haha.
I got the pots at Chester Electronics. They are 50k and 100k linear taper. It doesn't matter if you go with all 50k or all 100k...the resistance difference doesn't change anything. I plan on building a more elaborate one that will include voltage meters and a Voice of Saturn sequencer. As for a noise source, dunno what to tell you. I'm sure you can find schematics for noise sources online. Potentiometers can be found online at Mouser, as can affordable TRS jacks. PM me with further questions...this thread has been hijacked enough. :wink:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 am

Veeger wrote:Do you have any clue about obtaining a noise source
that I could include in my own Voltor box?
Hi Veeger,

That's a good question. I'm going to start a post on
the Moogerfooger list so we're off the Guitar forum.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _