match made in hell

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
spacemoose

match made in hell

Post by spacemoose » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 am

like everyone else the first thing that came to my mind was the price and then the gears started to grind. with an equally extravagant price point and (twisted) mind for innovation the metasonix g-1000 amplifier is the only thing i would ever want to plug this into. just imagining it hurts

:)

http://www.metasonix.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=67

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 pm

yeah ive been thinking about those two together since first heard about the moog guitar....*sigh* i will just have to live vicariously through trent reznor. im sure he will have at least one moog guitar and the guy at metasonix, his name slips my mind at the moment, said in an interview that trent bought 2 f*#%ing f*#%ers! :shock: and as disgusting (in an amazingly beautiful awy of corse) as that amp can sound it can also produce some of the most shimmering sparkling clean tone ive ever heard..its amazing

spacemoose

Post by spacemoose » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:39 pm

thats really interesting that it will do clean sounds well. i remember hearing eric barbour stating on a youtube clip that he heard through the grape vine that trent reznor wanted 1 but that was back around winter namm so thats likely changed by now. my only concern is that each channel being only 15 watts i suspect it might run the risk of being drowned out by a second guitar in the line-up running a 50 watt head through a 2x12 cab. in any event i hope now that now moog can get back to some smaller products like more moogerfoogers

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 pm

yeah its only 15 watts per side, but its 15 watts powered by 23 tubes! im sure it wont be like a 100w amp with 6 tubes in it. but its probably much louder than your standard 15w amp

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:55 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:yeah its only 15 watts per side, but its 15 watts powered by 23 tubes!
That's right. The amperage that thing puts out would more than likely blow a modern day 60 watt speaker. :lol: You'd need at least a 32ohm speaker for it...or one built by Kinetic Audio. See kineticaudio.com
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

spacemoose

Post by spacemoose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:40 pm

actually overpriced hifi speakers will probably sound a lot worse than your standard guitar speaker. more tubes does not equal more current flow. there are just more stages that involve tubes. there is also the fact that each channel requires its own seperate preamp and if i'm not mistaken power amp as well and then there is the reverb unit also on each channel. right there you're eating up a lot of tubes

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:30 pm

No, but tube amplifiers churn out quite a bit more amps than do solid state amplifiers...especially class A ones. I've blown speakers rated at 100W using a 30 watt tube amp. It just depends on the gauge of the voice coil wire and size of the magnet. You may be right about the hi-fi speakers, though I've never had a problem running instruments through stereo equipment before. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

thermionicjunky

Post by thermionicjunky » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm

This is also exactly what I thought of when this guitar was announced. Somebody has to do it.

spacemoose

Post by spacemoose » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm

on a slightly off topic note i've been thinking about picking up a metasonix tm-7 SCROTUM SMASHER and noticed the output is at line level. so its basically going to need an attenuator to knock things back down before it goes into my amp. i'm wondering if the cp-251 would be a good solution for this?

thermionicjunky

Post by thermionicjunky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:34 pm

That should work. When using guitar, you may also want to consider using some kind of booster/preamp. The feedback effects are better integrated with the input signal when that signal is strong.

spacemoose

Post by spacemoose » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:31 am

thats true for the modulation... modules but the TM-7 IS a guitar preamp so i don't see why you would want another (TM-5>;)HAHAHA) preamp in the signal path but hey whats another $450? i think i'm going to coerce an amp builder friend of mine to put a bypass and an output level control on this

thermionicjunky

Post by thermionicjunky » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:01 pm

It will work with passive pickup level signals, but it is so much better even with a bit of buffering from another pedal. Of course, the TM-5 is a great buffer for it, as is the nearly as expensive Siegmund Double Drive, but anything that can increase the output will do. Moogerfoogers make great buffers. It shouldn't be too hard to add a bypass and an attenuator. This all makes me long for the Moog guitar and the G-1000 even more. Hopefully there will be a more affordable option in the future. But then, I'll have to make all that time for guitar practice. I tried to quit the guitar so I could practice my other instruments!

spacemoose

Post by spacemoose » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 pm

as for passive pickup signals i am in fact using a pair of seymour duncan invaders which are about as hot as it gets but yes i do understand that an overdrive is going to be much hotter than that. anyhoo it looks as though i will be receiving the last ever robot speak edition TM-7. not that i need the stereo output its a nice bonus feature. oh and i'll be running it through a boss LS-2 which has a level control as well so that takes care of both bypass and output all in 1 pedal. i'm going to try it without a drive in front of it simply due to budget constraints at first and if i want maybe later i'll toss something in like a grunge pedal :P in the meantime i hope we see some more 'foogers rolled out. foxrox appears to be dormant if not comatose these days so a moog "through zero" flanger would be sweet

Apelsinburk

Re: match made in hell

Post by Apelsinburk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 am

I know I'm about to bring up a five year old thread but I actually happen to own theese two pieces so If anyone is still curious about how it sounds in a track, I use the Moog E-1 with the G-1000 in the solo at 2.28:
https://soundcloud.com/misterspacecool/ ... hinae-2013

Most guitars and synthesizer run thru the G-1000, for example the Minimoog in the intro, the Gibson 335 -69 in the outro along with a cheap Behringer effect and a EHX Memoryboy. The harmonica at 3.22 goes thru the filtersection on the minimoog 5-6 times or so while tweaking the knobs, also a neat trick me and my friend discovered!

This amp is what it is - a bleeping bleeper... but sometimes you just run a substandard synth grove thru it and the amp comes as a rescue with something different to it. I would say it's better for synthesizers than guitars but you can actually get great sound out of it if you learn how to tweak it and use the "right" playing technique. The amp comes with alot of compression which makes it not so easy to play in a dynamic way.

To bad it took five years to discover this tread and forum, I've had them both for a couple of years now. =)

ColorForm2113

Re: match made in hell

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 am

:) welcome to the forums, I'll check out your tunes on good speakers later.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step